Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Today's LHW's crew vs 1955

Ring Rating had some pretty bad dudes listed @ LHW.

Archie Moore 5'11 tall @ this time:145-19-8 (handn't loss since 1951 20 fights 12 ko/tko)
    Floyd Patterson 6'0 tall @ this time was 27-1 (controversial loss to famed Maxim)
    Joey Maxim 6'1 tall @ this time 79-21 (1st to defeat Floyd who was 13-0 )
    Willie Pastrano 5'10 tall33-3-3 (2 losses in 28 fights during a 4 year run-roughly that..)
    Randy Turpin 5'9 tall 52-4-1 (won British Common wealth LHW champ- fought mostly at MW beating Ray Robinson who was 128-1-2 at the time)

Steve Adonison 26-0-1
    Kovalev 27-0
    Bernard Hopkins 55-7-1
    Jean Pascal 29-3-1
    Juergen Braehmer 46-2

Moore would've soundly beatan Bika-better than Ward did. So no problems with Moore defeating Adonison.

Pascal has a good chin- but the 130 plus knockouts of Archie would've included Pasal, Braehmer. Moore vs Hopkins would've been a great tactical match. & Patterson may have outhustled Hopkins-
    since Hop doesnt like to throw many punches.

If Kovalev catches Patterson he stops him (if its flush) Paterson outboxes Pascal & Adonison. And if Randy Turpin outboxed Ray Robinson- then he does it against Adonison, -add on Chad Dawson, Tavaris Cloud, Ismayl Silkakh, Nathan Cleverly and (may have) outboxed Hop like RJJ did.

Today's LHW's are pretty good. But 1955 had fighters who were damn good at MW as well as LHW and a few went to HW ala Moore & the youngest unified HW champ aka Floyd Patterson.

Willie Pastrano vs Kovalev or Pascal would've been fire works, not sure who wins.

For the fight fans under age 30 -check out these dudes. youtube them. Most stood at 5'11 to 6'1 same as todays LHW's. And were just as strong.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Today's LHW's crew vs 1955

I never knew that Floyd fought and lost at light heavy! I thought that he fought at the weight in the amateurs.

Today's fighters seem bigger than yester years maybe it is because they are in colour.

Kov is special and I think given time he could be up there with the greats. He is skilled and a huge puncher.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Regarding Patterson: I too had to double take when I read it in one of my old 1980s ring magazines.

And only today did I know he fought in the amateurs @ MW.

Just copied this:
    In 1951, Patterson won the New York Daily News Golden Gloves and the New York Golden Gloves Tournament Of Champions, both in the open middleweight division.

In 1952, Patterson won the New York Daily News Golden Gloves, the New York Golden Gloves Tournament Of Champions and the Intercity Golden Gloves Championship, all in the open light heavyweight division.

Randy Turpin also fought in several weight classes and the best in each division- being the shortest of the bunch. A bit surprised that Moore was 5'11 I guess because of the mongoose style he didn't fight tall. & Maxim @ 6'1 would've fared well with today's LHW's as well.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I met Joey Maxim in 85 or 86 when he worked at the Stardust in Las Vegas. You know how everybody gets emotional about whether or not a fighter can 'recover' mentally from a loss, much less a KO loss?
    Curtis Shepherd stopped Maxim in one; three weeks later Maxim beat him over ten. That's called being a pro.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i knew that patterson was a LHW early in his career and he was fortunate that the he came into the division right when it died so that he could grab the title. i always thought that he would have had a better career at LHW although he probably got a bigger name for himself by becoming a HW. great fighter though. i think that he loses to kovalev because his chin is so weak. i think he easily outboxes stevenson but i could see stevenson catching him. moore vs kovalev would be a great fight.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Today's fighters seem bigger than yester years maybe it is because they are in colour.
    Better nutrition, better weight cutting techniques... I think in 1955 they were still weighing in on fight day so they weren't cutting as much weight.

I reckon a lot of these modern LHW's are walking into the ring at nearly 200lbs
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm sure in the Archie Moore fight, the commentator mentions how much bigger Patterson looks 'these days' or something to that effect. May have mentioned other weight classes etc..
    I'm not sure but for some reason I always was aware that he had campaigned at lower weights.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never knew that Floyd fought and lost at light heavy! I thought that he fought at the weight in the amateurs.

Kov is special and I think given time he could be up there with the greats. He is skilled and a huge puncher.
    Kov is special....lol
    Fuck outta' here.

Shit like this makes you look special....as in special needs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Better nutrition, better weight cutting techniques... I think in 1955 they were still weighing in on fight day so they weren't cutting as much weight.

I reckon a lot of these modern LHW's are walking into the ring at nearly 200lbs
    Better nutrition?

Whaaaaat?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by corvette View Post

Kov is special....lol
    Fuck outta' here.

What is your opinion on the old fighters v Kov?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by corvette View Post

Kov is special....lol
    Fuck outta' here.

What is your opinion on the old fighters v Kov?
    Kov doesn't have the defense to beat those guys.

He squares himself up way too much.

Imagine what those guys would do to Kova's opposition.
    Last edited by corvette; 04-16-2015 at 03:40 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't feed the trolls.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that's because they used to weigh in on the day of the fight, but now they do do 24 hours beforehand. Modern nutrition science means that someone can fight at middleweight while actually being nearly a stone heavier than the weight limit!

Ezzard Charles also fought at light heavy for quite a long time, and he is the only guy who ever had Archie Moores number. Best ever LH in my opinion
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information