Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Catchweights?

We're seeing more and more of these pathetic Catchweights, but what I don't understand is why these limp governing bodies don't put a stop to it. I don't hear many punters that are happy about them.
    Now, I don't mean to troll , but why is it that it only happens in the States generally?

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because Freddie Roach is in the states. And 9/10 of them are his call.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Catchweights?

I'm all in favor of eliminating catchweights. If you can't fight at a certain weight level, go up or down, whichever the case may be. It's 6-7 pounds difference in most cases. Not a stretch for a professional fighter. Fans and the media should pressure the boxing orgs to stop this catchweight nonsense.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I'm all in favor of eliminating catchweights. If you can't fight at a certain weight level, go up or down, whichever the case may be. It's 6-7 pounds difference in most cases. Not a stretch for a professional fighter. Fans and the media should pressure the boxing orgs to stop this catchweight nonsense.
    Like now. Weightclasses are around to have a level playing field. If catchweights were used to make equal in between fights it would be one thing but they are not. They are used to have an advantage. Pac has used them to weaken his opponents. Now Cotto goes with Roach and he pulls the same maneuver. Alvarez uses them because he can't comfortably make Jr. Middleweight but he dreads being considered a middleweight because Mexican fight fans will not put up with him avoiding GGG. So he hides at 155. It's contracted cheating.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    We're seeing more and more of these pathetic Catchweights, but what I don't understand is why these limp governing bodies don't put a stop to it. I don't hear many punters that are happy about them.
    Now, I don't mean to troll , but why is it that it only happens in the States generally?
    I bet you didn't complain with Pac was doing it.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by corvette View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I bet you didn't complain with Pac was doing it.
    I did actually. Pac is one of the worst for it. to me, if you win a title, you should defend it at that weight. if not, give up the title. there's already too many weight classes, if you can't fit into one of them , it's too bad really.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because the prima donna shit heads that demand catch weights (Pac, Floyd, Cotto, JCC Jr) are the guys that pull in BIG money, so the governing bodies are going to let them do what the fuck they want.

If you draw money in boxing you can do almost anything.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Because the prima donna shit heads that demand catch weights (Pac, Floyd, Cotto, JCC Jr) are the guys that pull in BIG money, so the governing bodies are going to let them do what the fuck they want.

If you draw money in boxing you can do almost anything.
    I hear you, but how the fuck do the likes of Garcia and Peterson hold the governing bodies to ransom? I mean there are plenty of other names in their division that could fight for their titles if they were stripped. it baffles me.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see the problem with catchweights, they've happened throughout the history of boxing. If both parties agree what's the problem? Everyone is always looking for an edge.

Interesting that it does seem they only happen in America though?
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    I don't see the problem with catchweights, they've happened throughout the history of boxing. If both parties agree what's the problem? Everyone is always looking for an edge.

There are 17 divisions. Just make 10 more. Think of all the sanctioning fees.

Yes they have happened in history but nothing like the farce that is today and rarely in title fights. If you cant fight in a division because its bigger then you then get out. If you are defending a title with a maximum weight allowance, deal with it. Thats the max. If you don't like it then leave the division and fly south. The irony with this crap is that most of these guys on fight night are already fighting at a weight north of 60.

It waters down an already root rotted plant. Greb never asked Tunney to weigh 170 and Armstrong never demanded Ross weigh 140. This catchweight garbage has become a trend and has never been practiced in boxing history even close to what it has in this century.

Everybody says that these titles mean nothing. So why make it redundant? Just get rid of them.

If you want to make a superfight then make it and by all means make it a catch. Just leave the titles out of it. I mean they are meaningless right? Go all the way and go REAL p4p. Let an Armstrong weigh in under 135 for a welterweight title fight and let the best man win.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that a bigger problem is a guy weighing in at 142 and putting on 20 pounds by fight time.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I agree with Inuit. Leave titles the fuck out of it firstly. If you're fighting a the 160lb belt... fight for it at 160lbs, not 158 or 164.

It's not like in the old days where you have 15lbs or more separating weight classes... most classes are separated by less than half of that.

I think it's bullshit for a small guy to pull a bigger guy down to a catch weight. Hitting weight is a very precise thing, and these guys have their routines worked out to a tee. If you ask a guy to cut down another 2-4lbs, it sounds like nothing but it makes the guy adjust his tried-and-true routine and it's putting more stress on his body than it's used to. That's the point of a catch weight for a smaller guy: make a guy come in slightly weakened and weight drained so you can have an advantage. It's so stupid. If you wanna fight a guy, why not fight a guy at his best? Otherwise just shut up about it IMO.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    I think that a bigger problem is a guy weighing in at 142 and putting on 20 pounds by fight time.
    That's a big problem too for both guys, the opponent has to fight a guy much bigger than him and there's also a danger to the guy cutting extreme amounts of weight. There's no way to get around that really though, it's just part of the sport. Guys are going to cut as much weight as they can.

Mayweather fights guys bigger than him every time out, because he doesn't cut weight. When he fought Baldomir, Floyd weighed in at 146 and came to the ring at 149. Baldomir weighed 147 and came to the ring at 162.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I think they should add day of fight weigh-ins, or come up with a system to make it impossible to step into the ring dehydrated.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

There are 17 divisions. Just make 10 more. Think of all the sanctioning fees.

Yes they have happened in history but nothing like the farce that is today and rarely in title fights. If you cant fight in a division because its bigger then you then get out. If you are defending a title with a maximum weight allowance, deal with it. Thats the max. If you don't like it then leave the division and fly south. The irony with this crap is that most of these guys on fight night are already fighting at a weight north of 60.

It waters down an already root rotted plant. Greb never asked Tunney to weigh 170 and Armstrong never demanded Ross weigh 140. This catchweight garbage has become a trend and has never been practiced in boxing history even close to what it has in this century.

Everybody says that these titles mean nothing. So why make it redundant? Just get rid of them.

If you want to make a superfight then make it and by all means make it a catch. Just leave the titles out of it. I mean they are meaningless right? Go all the way and go REAL p4p. Let an Armstrong weigh in under 135 for a welterweight title fight and let the best man win.
    The titles are basically meaningless to me, I'd rather see the best fight the best, if that means they agree on a weight that comfortably suits both then so be it.

Dozens of great fighters and dozens of memorable fights throughout history have been made at a catchweight.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information