Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default world war two

To my English and other European brethren

I read and watch a lot on the subject of WW 2. During the bombing of Britain I'm curious to know what are some of the more historic buildings that were destroyed. Same question goes for other parts of Europe. Was the house of commons affected? London Bridge? I know the reconstruction of Germany wasn't complete until the eighties, how long did it take for England. Hope you don't mind me asking the question.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: world war two

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post

I read and watch a lot on the subject of WW 2. During the bombing of Britain I'm curious to know what are some of the more historic buildings that were destroyed. Same question goes for other parts of Europe. Was the house of commons affected? London Bridge? I know the reconstruction of Germany wasn't complete until the eighties, how long did it take for England. Hope you don't mind me asking the question.
    that was very polite.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post

that was very polite.
    thanks, I don't know if it's a painful subject and since I'm asking out of curiosity I want to use caution.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Coventry and London I know took heavy hits. Coventry cathedral/church is on show and has not been fixed and an attraction for tourists.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Coventry and London I know took heavy hits. Coventry cathedral/church is on show and has not been fixed and an attraction for tourists.
    I think @Greenbeanz posted he was from an area that suffered immensely under the Lufftewaffe bombing, if I'm not mistaken he mentioned Coventry. What made such a target, was it location or strategic, I would imagine strategic but don't know much about England. Other than its evil and full of paedophiles according to Lord Miles.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Germans bombed my paternal grandparents' house. Nobody was killed but the house was demolished.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Kirkland Laing how did that work for the many that lost their homes during the bombings. Did the government help these people rebuild or did they have to do it themselves, I imagine hundreds of thousands to millions lost their homes. The Brits showed tremendous resolve during those times. Although the US was helping with the lend lease act, I think that was the name of it, but I think we took too long to join the war, but public sentiment was against involvement.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd like to read more if it isn't too painful.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They were living above a pub in Stoney Lane. Southwick across the road from this fine establishment.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.91...hw!2e0!6m1!1e1

It's now a dole office across from Hogans but used to be shops and houses. My Auntie Cissie was watching the German bombers out of the window and the next thing she was in the pub downstairs. Thirteen kids and two adults and nobody died. They rented somewhere a few doors down the road and got on with it.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Kirkland Laing how did that work for the many that lost their homes during the bombings. Did the government help these people rebuild or did they have to do it themselves, I imagine hundreds of thousands to millions lost their homes. The Brits showed tremendous resolve during those times. Although the US was helping with the lend lease act, I think that was the name of it, but I think we took too long to join the war, but public sentiment was against involvement.
    If it wasn't for that US aid the Brits would of gone out like the French

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What, surrendered and adopted Nazi sentiments? If it wasn't for the Brits that USA would have been mainly German anyways

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

Yes it was a combination of these things , being an Island helped , U.S. help and the Russian winter all aided the victory for allied forces.
    Thank you to all those people who laid down their lives for us.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    What, surrendered and adopted Nazi sentiments? If it wasn't for the Brits that USA would have been mainly German anyways
    Nah, more likely French or Spanish. They both had big claims over here.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A few houses round my way still had bomb shelters in the Garden in the 1980s and we had massive bomb craters down the road in a forest I used to walk my dog in.
    It was and still is common for building works to be stopped and put on hold due to unexploded bombs being found.
    I worked at Heathrow Terminal 5 when that was being build and the whole site was evacuated loads of times because of that.
    This map below is pretty cool so if someone can repost the link as this site is still shit for mobile devices and the link won't be live posted straight from an iPhone

http://bombsight.org/#15/51.5050/-0.0900

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Don't like beating the patriotic drum unduly but I can assure you that Britain would have never surrendered.
    Saddo Fantasy Premier League
    2011/12 - 2nd
    2012/13 -1st Hidden Content
    2013/14 - 3rd (Master won)

Saddo World Cup Dream Team
    2014 - 1st Hidden Content

Thread Information