Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: George Foreman vs. Riddick Bowe... who would've won?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: George Foreman vs. Riddick Bowe... who would've won?

For pity sake!

If they fight in the '90s, Bowe makes an absolute mess of Foreman. It's not even a contest. In fact, I think it would have been so one-sided with Bowe landing huge bombs at will and the ref would have had no choice but to stop it at some point.

Where is this '90s Foreman bullshit coming from? He was nothing more than a fat, lumbering old man who still took a decent shot, which is just as well because he took a hell of a lot of shots against some pretty average fighters and his only impressive knockout was against Michael Moorer.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Foreman is highly rated by people on here because he is a genuine legendary figure in the sport. His comeback to win the title actually ranks right up there with anything Muhammad Ali achieved.

It is very true to say that Old George was very cumbersome and lumbered around the ring. He cleverly tended to stick with smaller opponents he could bully and whondidntbhave the speed or skills to pop around him and win wide decisions (even that renowned technician and slickster Tommy Morrison managed this).

What he NEVER lost was his underrated ring intelligence, great great chin and crushing clubbing Kayo power..

Young George was a bona fide monster. Much more of a scary proposition than anyone really remembers.

It might be my rose tinted specs, but I think that Young George obliterates Riddick Bowe.

Riddick was never the sharpest tool in the box, and while I think he SHOULD widely outbox and punish Old George, I suspect he might be drawn into a war and Foreman would have made him quit or look for a way out by DQ
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Riddick would have fucked up young Foreman I think. Young Foreman just didn't have the ring intelligence that the older one did. Prime Riddick was really a marvel HW.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Riddick would have fucked up young Foreman I think. Young Foreman just didn't have the ring intelligence that the older one did. Prime Riddick was really a marvel HW.
    Holyfield aside....who did Riddick Bowe fight that was worth a damn?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He fought some good names of the time. Why does it matter? If the outcome of every fight was based strictly on who fought the better opposition, why would we even bother watching boxing? We could just go to Boxrec and figure out who is going to win.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

El Kabong Guest

He fought some good names of the time. Why does it matter? If the outcome of every fight was based strictly on who fought the better opposition, why would we even bother watching boxing? We could just go to Boxrec and figure out who is going to win.
    Well the point being that at the time of Bowe's title run there WERE better fighters out there and he chose NOT to fight them. Other than Evander Holyfield Bowe fought nobody all that great, old Michael Dokes, Pinklon Thomas, Bert Cooper, Tyrell Biggs, Tony Tubbs, Larry Donald, Jorge Luis Gonzalez, Herbie Hide, Andrew Golota, Pierre Coetzer, Everett Martin, Jesse Ferguson, Elijay Tillery, Bruce Seldon......I mean where's Morrison, Moorer, Bruno, Rudduck, Mercer, Tua, Lennox Lewis, Briggs, Tyson, Alex Stewart, Larry Holmes, George Foreman.

Bowe gave Holyfield hell but where's the rest of the guys worth a damn on his resume?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Well the point being that at the time of Bowe's title run there WERE better fighters out there and he chose NOT to fight them. Other than Evander Holyfield Bowe fought nobody all that great, old Michael Dokes, Pinklon Thomas, Bert Cooper, Tyrell Biggs, Tony Tubbs, Larry Donald, Jorge Luis Gonzalez, Herbie Hide, Andrew Golota, Pierre Coetzer, Everett Martin, Jesse Ferguson, Elijay Tillery, Bruce Seldon......I mean where's Morrison, Moorer, Bruno, Rudduck, Mercer, Tua, Lennox Lewis, Briggs, Tyson, Alex Stewart, Larry Holmes, George Foreman.

Bowe gave Holyfield hell but where's the rest of the guys worth a damn on his resume?
    Those guys on Bowe's resume, a lot of them were really good fighters to be sure, but I somewhat do agree, he ducked most of the elite boxers...

In particular, he ducked all the big PUNCHERS!

That's why he wanted to continually fight Holyfield because it was a great opponent he knew he could beat with little risk of being savagely hurt by bigger, more powerful and aggressive boxers. Bowe was never the "small" man.

The first and only time he fought a really good+powerful+tall+heavy boxer in Golota, he got the living crap punched out of him 2ce!
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    I think Foreman is highly rated by people on here because he is a genuine legendary figure in the sport. His comeback to win the title actually ranks right up there with anything Muhammad Ali achieved.

It is very true to say that Old George was very cumbersome and lumbered around the ring. He cleverly tended to stick with smaller opponents he could bully and whondidntbhave the speed or skills to pop around him and win wide decisions (even that renowned technician and slickster Tommy Morrison managed this).

What he NEVER lost was his underrated ring intelligence, great great chin and crushing clubbing Kayo power..

Young George was a bona fide monster. Much more of a scary proposition than anyone really remembers.

It might be my rose tinted specs, but I think that Young George obliterates Riddick Bowe.

Riddick was never the sharpest tool in the box, and while I think he SHOULD widely outbox and punish Old George, I suspect he might be drawn into a war and Foreman would have made him quit or look for a way out by DQ
    Sure, he was good in his day, but he was nothing special when he came back in the 90s, and would have been battered if he'd fought anyone nearly as good and big as Bowe. The person who started this thread asked about a fight between the two in the 90s and no way is Foreman winning that. First we get a thread about him fighting Tyson in the 90s and now this one. Tyson and Bowe would have taken him apart in the 90s.

Even young Foreman was put on his arse by a lesser fighter than Bowe and Tyson.
    Last edited by tysonesque; 06-17-2015 at 06:50 AM.

Thread Information