Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Brook deserves a Mayweather fight over Khan!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Brook deserves a Mayweather fight over Khan!

Based on their best wins. Brook over Porter and Khans over Alexander you have to give Brook the edge in bringing more to the table in a fight with Floyd. A world title and unbeaten record and prime of his career. Khan doesn’t bring those things although it could be argued he is still at his peak, you could also argue that since the loss to Garcia he hasn’t risked it with a puncher and didn’t look good in his last fight

Stylewise Khan may represent more of a threat but again theres not much in it. Brook handles pressure fighters better than Amir but it’s not relevant when matched against Floyd. Amirs suspect chin would unlikely be a factor also considering that Floyd does not atop or attempt to stop his opponents. Id be more nervous training Amir and sending him out there to face Floyd than I would with Brook because the Sheffield champ is assured to be lasting the distance and its only how he handles the gulf in experience that’s the worry. With Khan we know he has lapses in concentration, loses sight of the gameplan and even if he is doing well it can all become unstuck at any time which is less likely to happen with Brook. Should Floyd got the shortlist down to just these two and had to pick the opponent based on who would bring in the crowd, make the money risk vs reward etc I think Brook would get the nod. I don’t think Floyd would contemplate losing to these guys but it would be more acceptable losing to Brook than Khan which may factor into his consideration. He may see Brook as being easier to time & catch.

Amir makes more mistake to capitalise on but has the kind of handspeed that Judah and Mosley caused him problems with so at his age he’d be looking for the slower of the two. He may aslo think that his rep could take a hit if he didn’t stop Khan whereas he wouldn’t be expected to to stop Brook so its the safer option. He can also look good vs Brook who cant match him for speed and may go the same way as Alvarez did but the rushes from Khan at times may give Floyd something to think about. These are the reasons I reckon hed pick Brook but its ashame we cant see him fight both.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post
    Based on their best wins. Brook over Porter and Khans over Alexander you have to give Brook the edge in bringing more to the table in a fight with Floyd. A world title and unbeaten record and prime of his career. Khan doesn’t bring those things although it could be argued he is still at his peak, you could also argue that since the loss to Garcia he hasn’t risked it with a puncher and didn’t look good in his last fight

Stylewise Khan may represent more of a threat but again theres not much in it. Brook handles pressure fighters better than Amir but it’s not relevant when matched against Floyd. Amirs suspect chin would unlikely be a factor also considering that Floyd does not atop or attempt to stop his opponents. Id be more nervous training Amir and sending him out there to face Floyd than I would with Brook because the Sheffield champ is assured to be lasting the distance and its only how he handles the gulf in experience that’s the worry. With Khan we know he has lapses in concentration, loses sight of the gameplan and even if he is doing well it can all become unstuck at any time which is less likely to happen with Brook. Should Floyd got the shortlist down to just these two and had to pick the opponent based on who would bring in the crowd, make the money risk vs reward etc I think Brook would get the nod. I don’t think Floyd would contemplate losing to these guys but it would be more acceptable losing to Brook than Khan which may factor into his consideration. He may see Brook as being easier to time & catch.

Amir makes more mistake to capitalise on but has the kind of handspeed that Judah and Mosley caused him problems with so at his age he’d be looking for the slower of the two. He may aslo think that his rep could take a hit if he didn’t stop Khan whereas he wouldn’t be expected to to stop Brook so its the safer option. He can also look good vs Brook who cant match him for speed and may go the same way as Alvarez did but the rushes from Khan at times may give Floyd something to think about. These are the reasons I reckon hed pick Brook but its ashame we cant see him fight both.
    kotelnik, maidana, judah, mab, algiri, collazo
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post

kotelnik, maidana, judah, mab, algiri, collazo
    Exactly. I still think Khan's performance against Alexander was greater than Brook's against Porter. Porter, on paper is a slightly stronger win given Porter beat Alexander (stylistically he is a nightmare for someone like Alexander), but Khan completely dominated Alexander. Brook vs Porter was really close.

Regardless of what you think about that, Khan's wins over Kotelnik, Diaz, Maidana, Judah, Paulie, Agieri and Collazo trump anything else Brook has done. Senchenko JoJo Dan and Carson Jones don't cut it. Neither will a win over Juan Diaz give he's really a lightweight and his best form was 5 or 6 years ago.

The only other thing going for Brook is the fact he is Champ. But since when did that mean anything.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Silly as it may seem, I'd give Khan more chance (slim one) of pulling off an upset against Floyd than beating Porter.

All the fighter's that give Khan trouble - ignoring the ones that have chinned him - have been able to walk him down and constantly pressure him - Peterson, Maidana, Diaz and Algieri.

Khan would never keep Porter off, get manhandled all round the ring then try and punch with him on the inside and get chinned.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's not about who has the best wins, though. It's about what fight makes more sense and means more to Mayweather's legacy.

Floyd beats Khan... so what? He's been beaten 3 times by guys not even close to being in Floyd's league. Even if Floyd knocked Khan out in 30 seconds, it'd be "so what, Khan has no chin".

Brook is a 10 year veteran with an undefeated record and a win over one of the best WW's and he's currently Ring magazine's #1 WW behind champ Mayweather.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Thread Information