Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What should be said about Deontay Wilder now?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What should be said about Deontay Wilder now?

What should be said about Deontay now?

Well I think we all know the answer to that one...

BUMMMMMMM SQUADDDDDDDDD!!!
    "Enough with the games mate! Your messing with the Grand Master!"

Lennox Lewis

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Alright, I see a lot of what you guys are saying but I'm still big on Deontay. He got hurt, but took it in stride and recovered quickly. He also did that dope a rope thing for about thirty seconds where he was just eating punches with earmuffs on, made me a bit puzzled. The dudes power can't be denied. You are right, he still has a lot to work on but he's in a good position to do so. I'd love to see Deontay make it to the top. Actually, on these boards a large amount of criticism has been dolled out upon him since he arrived on the scene, be it his chicken legs, opponents, chin and everything else one could mention. The thing is a lot of what was said here had him written off some time ago and yet here he is. To be honest, I expect him to make the needed improvements and I think he'll be around for quite a while. Now I still need to watch both the Cotto and Khan fights. Was Cotto on network or was it HBO. Working fourty hours in three days over the weekend is completely ruining my enjoyment of boxing.
    Well said.
    I hope to enjoy watching this work in progress, win, loss or draw...hopefully all wins for awhile!
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm probably alone in feeling like anything that the most important things wilder should learned. He should have already learned by now. We're not talking about the finer points of ring generalship or streamlining his footwork or using your parries on the inside. The same shot he got shook with is the same one he was getting clipped with and ko'd in the amateurs with. Mentally, it should be a cardinal sin in his mind to be hit with that now.

His answer was never to defend it just draw up a contingency plan to just stay out of range of it and land one, two's and get bigger so it doesn't hurt much when you do get hit with it. It doesn't fix the problem that he carries his hands low, squares up, goes straight back or actually turns away from his opponent and tries to stiff arm them after his legs get heavy and they give chase. He's put more energy toward self promoting and screaming bow squad and his post ko dances. If you're going to perfect you craft, you don't wait till you become a champ to think about it. He's dedicated half himself to the sport and the other half to marketing.

Any guy that can be trained to move his head, dip a should and through a right hook counter over the top could pull the plug on this guys career. Keep in mind this was soft Molina, a few years back if you had a sam peter, lamon Brewster, maskaev or old david tua, throwing landing that punch.... all soft guys at certain points that were never really the super elite... but big punchers ... wilders 5 minutes could have been over by now. just my opinion.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post
    I'm probably alone in feeling like anything that the most important things wilder should learned. He should have already learned by now. We're not talking about the finer points of ring generalship or streamlining his footwork or using your parries on the inside. The same shot he got shook with is the same one he was getting clipped with and ko'd in the amateurs with. Mentally, it should be a cardinal sin in his mind to be hit with that now.

His answer was never to defend it just draw up a contingency plan to just stay out of range of it and land one, two's and get bigger so it doesn't hurt much when you do get hit with it. It doesn't fix the problem that he carries his hands low, squares up, goes straight back or actually turns away from his opponent and tries to stiff arm them after his legs get heavy and they give chase. He's put more energy toward self promoting and screaming bow squad and his post ko dances. If you're going to perfect you craft, you don't wait till you become a champ to think about it. He's dedicated half himself to the sport and the other half to marketing.

Any guy that can be trained to move his head, dip a should and through a right hook counter over the top could pull the plug on this guys career. Keep in mind this was soft Molina, a few years back if you had a sam peter, lamon Brewster, maskaev or old david tua, throwing landing that punch.... all soft guys at certain points that were never really the super elite... but big punchers ... wilders 5 minutes could have been over by now. just my opinion.
    You're not alone, think its spot on. Been saying the near same for a few years now save for half his effort going to promotion. What is being said and said with legitimacy is not about a contender or a prospect. Wilder was hand held to a trinket and suddenly realized that the first guy who decided to not read the script could shine a light on the holes he has had all along. You don't get to 'skip' development done in gradual step up fights, competitive tests and expect to suddenly learn on the job against the very best and mandatory top guys. He is now at a level you cannot go backwards from..the work and learning..self testing should have been done early on. Its like a guy inflating his resume, talking it up in the interview of a lifetime and then actually getting the job..."You can start Monday Mr. Wilder, please be prompt" and then doing cram sessions and hoping that the basics are enough so no one notices. I see a lot of names mentioned but its very hard to think of a 6 yr deep heavyweight who went to lasting top legit status compiling such a non adversity faced record before they won a belt as Wilder. I don't hate the guy I just think he went from 0 to 75 mph and he is doing it backwards. Winging it.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Undisputed View Post

You're not alone, think its spot on. Been saying the near same for a few years now save for half his effort going to promotion. What is being said and said with legitimacy is not about a contender or a prospect. Wilder was hand held to a trinket and suddenly realized that the first guy who decided to not read the script could shine a light on the holes he has had all along. You don't get to 'skip' development done in gradual step up fights, competitive tests and expect to suddenly learn on the job against the very best and mandatory top guys. He is now at a level you cannot go backwards from..the work and learning..self testing should have been done early on. Its like a guy inflating his resume, talking it up in the interview of a lifetime and then actually getting the job..."You can start Monday Mr. Wilder, please be prompt" and then doing cram sessions and hoping that the basics are enough so no one notices. I see a lot of names mentioned but its very hard to think of a 6 yr deep heavyweight who went to lasting top legit status compiling such a non adversity faced record before they won a belt as Wilder. I don't hate the guy I just think he went from 0 to 75 mph and he is doing it backwards. Winging it.

To sum-up , if we take away the hail Mary power , then what have we really got here ?
    A novice fighters with limited rounds of boxing after 34 fights , Wilder will have to learn fast to even survive the year.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

LouEVIL, Kentucky "birthplace of Cassius Clay"
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ive never seen a fighter turn from a great performance to so shitty of one in such a short time. he is lucky he escaped with the win. wlad woulda beat wilder on that night.

Thread Information