Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Anybody been to Mexico?

We are off to the Riviera del Maya in a week and looking forward to some sun, sea and relaxation. I will be diving the underground caves and cenotes while we are there.

Hotel looks great, though I'm not usually a fan of all inclusives.

There will probably be quite a few Americans there (most of the Trip Adviser reviews are coming from Yanks), but hopefully we will miss the spring break chavvy hillbilly type. Not many Brits there, which is always a good thing

I will find a really fat obese American to be near, so that I look slim , fit and toned. In return I promise I will smile a lot so everyone thinks how nice his teeth are.

Has anyone been there, who can recommend things to do or places to go?

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anybody been to Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    We are off to the Riviera del Maya in a week and looking forward to some sun, sea and relaxation. I will be diving the underground caves and cenotes while we are there.

Hotel looks great, though I'm not usually a fan of all inclusives.

There will probably be quite a few Americans there (most of the Trip Adviser reviews are coming from Yanks), but hopefully we will miss the spring break chavvy hillbilly type. Not many Brits there, which is always a good thing

I will find a really fat obese American to be near, so that I look slim , fit and toned. In return I promise I will smile a lot so everyone thinks how nice his teeth are.

Has anyone been there, who can recommend things to do or places to go?

Go on a party boat tour, really recommend it, 3 days 2 nights

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How long are you there for? Not really my idea of Mexico but you should at least see Tulum and Chichen Itza. If you have some kind of tourist coddled trip I'd break away a little and make that a must. That entire area around Cancun is way to commercialized and plastic for me but for a place to hang on the beach while surrounded by those doing the same thing is what you are after I'm sure its great. Was in the area several times many years ago when the bubble was about to burst. My brother goes to Isla Mujeres every 8 months and just stays there and loves it. If you have any kind of a stopover in Mexico city and the time, I'd most definitely go to Teotihuacan.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never been to Mexico before, but we usually don't like big fake plastic resorts. This time, however, we just want to relax after a pretty rough year (so far!)

I have a bit of trepidation that it will just be a huge man made fake resort type of thing, but we will enjoy it nevertheless.

My real reason for going is to dive the cenotes, while the wife just wants a relaxing pampered break. We will definitely be going to see Mayan ruins and stuff, we are both keen to visit Chichen Itza. Not stopping over in Mexico City, unfortunately.

I'm looking forward to testing my pidgin Spanish and also debating the merits of Julio Cesar Chavez, MAB, Eric Morales and other greats with various barman!

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nothing wrong with big fake plastic resorts saves being mugged and killed by criminals.

Have a great time and wear your knife proof jacket

Your tour guide Master.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Damn X, cave diving, you are a brave sob. Sounds thrilling. I enjoy parachuting but I think that is kid stuff compared to cave diving. Haven't been to Cancun but know plenty who have and speak highly of it. I know the resort thing can almost be fake but I think it is a wise decision when in a narco state like Mexico. I'll be curious to hear if you run into a lot of loud fat Americans wearing ugly shirts. I'm an American and as far as I know that is a stereotype but I'm sure they are out their.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sounds cool, the cave diving alone would make it worth the trip I'm sure, would love to do/be able to do that. I've been to Cancun once for a cousins wedding years back, and it really was plastic and full of fatties drinking on the beach all day was my impression. Funny story was we did a tour of the "Mayan ruins" one day, and my dad noticed that there were concrete forms along the foundations of these things. When he asked the tour guide how the Mayans would have managed that, the guy sheepishly admitted that they were actually originally 100 miles inland, but the Govt had just moved them closer to the resorts for tourism

Only other place I've been in Mexico is Zihuatenejo, which was a beautiful little sleepy fishing village near Acapulco on the south coast. If anyone remembers from the Shawshank redemption, it's where Andy tells Red to meet him at the very end of the movie. We used to go most summers when I was young, went back a couple of years ago and it now looks more like Cancun or something. The local hotels along the beach have all been converted into modern timeshares, there are even some American chain restaurants there now, quite sad really.

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Myself and the Mrs went to the Yucutan Peninsula ourselves a few years back. We stayed at Chichen Itza for the first week and visited the temples at Uxmal (massive),Tulum, Kabah, Merida etc and went to Campeche and then did an all inclusive for the second week to recover. A lot of the ruins are in the middle of jungles, and take a bit of a trek to get to, and we had to do it then while my other half was more mobile. We needed that second week. We also visited the caves at Lol-tun, though I didn't swim or dive there and we went to the mangroves. Our Mayan guide was amazing, chatted to him for ages about Ricky Hatton as well as the Mexican greats. It's quite different down south with the indigenous Mayan still spoken along with Spanish and English. Food was amazing and hospitality as well. I did some good work there too with sound recordings etc, because the acoustics of ziganauts are very unique.

The second week at the all inclusive I got bored of trying to out drink the apartment fridge before the maid refilled it by the second day, but the food was amazing. A lot of Americans and Canadians but we also met people from Devon about 20 miles from us in the English Riviera (Bilbo's stomping ground) We went to the karaoke one night and a few British birds got up and murdered some Maddonna tune. We cracked up but the Americans didn't seem to get it and took it very seriously. They did a lot of country covers, knew all the moves and walked around like it was cabaret

You will love it mate. The sister-in -law did it recently with her chap and did more of the scuba diving and water sports and they loved it too.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pretty damn nice here ........
    Attached Images

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

White sand, blue water and hot weather just missing the Latin bikini babes in the picture.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Pretty damn nice here ........
    Thomas Cook brochures are a marvelous thing
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did you encounter any banditos during your trip.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

only the shopkeepers.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jesus loves you.

A wonderful thing to hear in a church.

Much less nice in a Mexican prison

El Kabong Guest

Cave diving.....holy crap man. I wouldn't do that ever!

All I'd tell you is don't drink the water.

Thread Information