Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Defensive Greats

I've been thinking about the lost art of defense, and how few of today's fans appreciate the skill necessary to make an elite fighter miss the VAST majority of his/her shots. There seems to be a lack of understanding as well, with many fans not understanding/identifying/appreciating the nuances that go into a great defense. My pick for greatest defensive fighters in recent history (not going back to Willie Pep era for this one), and the reasons I pick them is as follows:

5. Roy Jones Jr.: Many will feel that Roy should be #1 on this list, and will point to statistics during his prime that show how miniscule of a percentage of punches his opponents were able to land on him. Roy had other worldly speed and reflexes in his prime, but did not have the learned skill (parry, catch, block) of those ranked higher on my list. Roy was so much faster than his opponents and his reflexes so much better that he would slip a punch with a slight movement of his head and counter with impressive/intimidating power. Roy was also very effective at feinting opponents into throwing bad punches/out of position and using his foot speed to negate an opponents offense.

4. James Toney: During his prime James Toney had great all around skill, and a multi-layered defense. Not as fast/gifted as Roy was during his prime, but better at the nuances of a great defensive fighter, able to use footwork, slip, shoulder roll, parry, block and duck punches. James was also very good at switching from defense to offense in a seamless manner.

3. Bernard Hopkins: As skilled as Toney was at the nuances of defensive fighting, but blessed with faster feet and more mobility. Bernard's offense has suffered as he has aged, but his defense has improved at an exponential rate, allowing him to remain a viable threat to champions 20 years younger. There isn't one aspect of defense that Hop doesn't do well, and he is edged out by the next two due to their advantages in natural speed/talent/gifts.

2. Floyd Mayweather: As fast of foot/hand and reflexes as Roy, and as good at the nuances/skill portion as Toney/Hop. Floyd possesses all of the attributes necessary to qualify as the greatest defensive fighter and best fighter of his generation. Able to fight inside using his shoulders, elbows, gloves and head movement to slip shots and set up counters. Able to use his feet to create angles and distance when necessary. Amazing anticipation, reflexes, and a boxing IQ that allows him to dictate where and what pace the fight takes place.

1. Pernell Whitaker: I give Sweet Pea the nod over Floyd as I feel they are equally skilled and gifted/talented, but Pea was more creative in/with his defense. Early in his career Pernell was instructed by Georgie Benton to box like he had bad breath. As Pea progressed however, he developed the ability to stand directly in front of elite opponents and make them miss, thanks in large part to his development/perfection of his deep knee bend.

There are numerous other fighters who deserve to be on this list, such as Herol Graham, Rigo, Camacho, and Wlad (to protect that chin!), to name a few. I'm interested to read the responses and see what I got wrong and what I missed!

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really like the top 5. The debate between Pernell and Floyd is endless. I think Pernells defense looked a little better because he used his jab more than Floyd and if Floyd would pop out 40 jabs a round he would look untouchable.

But it's hard to argue anyone on the list. I think any but Toney you could argue was the best of the recent era. Only keeping Toney from potentially top was his lack of quickness, his IQ and skill level is there with anyone.(ring IQ only, dude is not running on all cylinders). Locche deserves mention, that guy was phenomenal.

Good list with sound reasoning

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Defensive Greats

Whitaker and Mayweather are two of the best with quite different approaches to defense. To me Mayweather is the speedster and more mobile. Moves taller and defended tall a lot of the time. Literally defensive in extricating himself from a fight, scoring and getting out. In full control he rolls inside and rips counters, chicken wings and rips to body but the mentality is a prevent defense. Whitaker could move like smoke too but I always remember him on a much stouter base, almost flat feet and utilized his base as much for sharp counters as he did dipping, swerving off his hips inside. He avoided in more than a few, his clowning v Nelson was stomach turning, but think he's the stronger and well rounded and could nail a guy from ugly angles inside, sounder base with superb torso movement. He also had a helluva chin, which I guess is a negative when talking defensive

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Heard a lot about Locche but not seen him in action.

Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great video about distance and reach from Graham.

Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nicolino Locche

Has to be in everyone's Top 10

> Eder Jofre
    > Willie Pep
    > Wilfred Benitez was excellent, up to a chin-point.
    > Ernesto Marcel
    > Pernell Whitaker
    > Salvador Sanchez

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jack Johnson, Benny Leonard, Harry Greb, Joe Gans, Willie Pep?
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    Jack Johnson, Benny Leonard, Harry Greb, Joe Gans, Willie Pep?
    I personally wasn't going that far back, but that is a solid list. The only guy I would question is Greb. Thought he was more of a tough guy that just physically overpowered the opposition. Guys like Sam Langford, Charley Burley...etc., were defensive greats (from what I read) as well.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ronald Wright , was one of the very best at standing right in front of you and making u hit gloves and miss.

Marlon Starling was also a top defensive fighter.
    Last edited by Dark Lord Al; 09-03-2015 at 10:11 PM.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Paxtom View Post
    Nicolino Locche

Has to be in everyone's Top 10

> Eder Jofre
    > Willie Pep
    > Wilfred Benitez was excellent, up to a chin-point.
    > Ernesto Marcel
    > Pernell Whitaker
    > Salvador Sanchez

Definitely can't leave Wilfredo "El Radar de St. Just" Benitez out of a conversation about boxing defensive greats.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been watching a lot of Locche lately and am completely sold in the guy. Very deliberate, proactive and just a smart arse.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Argentina

A group of Argentinian Businessman wanted to put up the money to stage a
    Nicolino Locche vs. Muhammad Ali bout set at Luna Park.

No kidding, a 10-Round bout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Locche and Narvaez are the exceptions out of a country known for producing all out heavyweight handed warriors

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Regards to The Drunken Master with shifty defense. So many guys not 'great' but many different styles. Zapata, Kalambay or Canto.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How has George Benton been ignored? I was sort of familiar with him before but over the last five months I watch him daily.
    Also, Arguello uses some sneaky front hand parties to set up counters. To me, making a guy miss (however you do it) and not countering is wasted effort.

Thread Information