Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Wladimir Klitschko a "Warrior" like Holyfield/Frazier/Marciano?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is Wladimir Klitschko a "Warrior" like Holyfield/Frazier/Marciano?

I think not. I'll give him this: He has found a way to win, like Mayweather. But could he be a DOG and be in a war of attrition? Guess we'll never know, but most people think he would FOLD LIKE A 2-CENT MILK CARTON UNDER TREMENDOUS PRESSURE.

Dont we just get that feeling? Let's be honest.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Is Wladimir Klitschko a "Warrior" like Holyfield/Frazier/Marciano?

Well he doesn't really have to be does he? His talent and technique keep him out of the battles those guys were in and those kinds of battles can really shorten a career.

What does it matter if he goes to war or not when he wins all the time? I just don't see the point of knit picking how Wlad fights, the point is to WIN and Wlad puts a check mark beside that in his fights....it's boxing, not rock'em sock'em robots, there's skill involved here.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great ring IQ.
    Measures an opponent like no other.
    Masterful jab.

Why is he called Wladimir clinchko?

That's how he keeps a fight from breaking out.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Well he doesn't really have to be does he? His talent and technique keep him out of the battles those guys were in and those kinds of battles can really shorten a career.

What does it matter if he goes to war or not when he wins all the time? I just don't see the point of knit picking how Wlad fights, the point is to WIN and Wlad puts a check mark beside that in his fights....it's boxing, not rock'em sock'em robots, there's skill involved here.
    Technically, you are right.

But he stands to retire like Floyd: someone who can be called a great boxer, but not a great fighter.

It's not about fighting till one gets brain damage, it's about having a legacy where fans can reminisce on his career with great stories to tell.

Not reminiscing on his statistics.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oops didn't answer the question: NO.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fold like a Wal-Mart lawn chair on a windy day.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Believe me Lyle, I 100% agree with you--why should he put his health at risk when he has found a way to win? He wins, it IS really all that matters. I cant disagree.

But boxing is also about guts, determination. If you just "found a way to win" every time by developing a style that SIGNIFICANTLY employs clinching and NON-engaging, well, I understand it works, JUST LOOK AT WLAD'S RECORD--- no one can dispute that. It is just a "stinky" style, let's call it. Like Floyd's.

I mean let's face it, when we hear people talk about Evander Holyfield-----for example----will ANYBODY EVER BE ABLE TO REMOTELY SAY that this dude was a chicken? a coward? a runner? a boring fighter? NOT ON YOUR LIFE! So in a very important way THAT kind of legacy DOES make a boxer more special, more loved, more respected as a fighter.

El Kabong Guest

The goal of any fighter should be to find a style which allows them to cause the most damage to their opponent while they limit the damage they take themselves. The old hit and don't get hit. Some fighters do this like Wlad with height and reach, some fighters do it like Floyd with reflexes and defense, and some fighters do it by being so close you can't get power on your punches....Wlad does what works for him and because he's done so well he's an all time great and a sure fire hall of famer, but you take the time again and again and again to bitch about his style. His style WORKS, it's undeniable, why complain other than you're just butthurt that he doesn't HAVE to fight like Holyfield or Marciano.

Let me tell you a little story of a very talented boxer who didn't want to be Mr. Flashy Flash, he didn't want to be Mr. Hit and Don't Get Hit, he wanted to be a pure blood and guts warrior. This fighter was EXTREMELY talented, good pop, fastest hands you'd ever see, and very good head movement....but instead of working WITH his skill set he decided to be a warrior, he was from Philly and he'd be damned if he was going to be a pure boxer, Philly is the home of warriors!......His name was Meldrick Taylor and he RUINED his career doing what you're saying Wlad should do. Could have been the next Ray Leonard, but no sir, he wanted to prove a point and he suffers for that to this day.

This whole stand toe to toe rock'em sock'em robot style of fighting is for toughman competitions and bar fights, not for professional fighters.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Warrior? No, more like the high level Cleric.

wow, that was bad

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SlimTrae View Post

But he stands to retire like Floyd: someone who can be called a great boxer, but not a great fighter.

It's not about fighting till one gets brain damage, it's about having a legacy where fans can reminisce on his career with great stories to tell.

Excellent post.

I've come to begrudgingly appreciate Wlad for the being the best for so long and for carrying himself with such class and dignity.

He is far from a thrilling fighter though. He and Haye didn't exactly tear the house down. 60-70% of that was Haye, but Wlad shares some blame too. That could have been his signature fight.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

Excellent post.

I've come to begrudgingly appreciate Wlad for the being the best for so long and for carrying himself with such class and dignity.

He is far from a thrilling fighter though. He and Haye didn't exactly tear the house down. 60-70% of that was Haye, but Wlad shares some blame too. That could have been his signature fight.
    I think Wlad is getting credit for his brothers work as well when it comes to how long hes now regarded as being the best. Vitali only retired in December 2013 thats less than 2 years that Wlad has been the best.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't disagree with you more! Boxers fight with what they have; intelligence, who they are inside, and the way they are trained. Many of them have a natural inclination to get right to it and bang away, most of them are inclined to hit and not be hit, some do both, and some don't want to be hit at all.
    None of them are under any obligation to expose themselves to brain damage to keep the fans happy and reminiscing about the fights they've seen!
    When your wife, lady friend, mother, or smart phone calls you at work to remind you of a doctor's appointment, do you think, "No way, cancel that damn thing. I want my co-workers, the boss, the stockholders, and my family to reminisce about the way I died on the f*cking job!" Piss on being a warrior, the race you want to win is outliving your enemies!
    Marciano and Frazier would probably say they wish they could have fought the way Wald fights. One thing is sure, their careers would have been longer and easier.
    I love a slug fest as much as the next person, but I'll be winching through the whole thing and absolutely not thinking this is the way boxing should be!

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

is he fuck

his style is the least "warrior" like of all champions in history, probably

theres been a few likenings to floyd in this thread

floyd is by no means an entertaining fighter but is is levels above wlad on entertainment value

wlads style is based on holding, something he has only been allowed to get away with because of the money he generates, its just not very interesting
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

El Kabong Guest

The fans love it when you get a Corrales-Castillo I kind of fight, or a Gatti-Ward, or a Bowe-Holyfield, or a Brewster-Liakhovich kind of war....the FANS love it....the fighters I am certain have great respect for each other in battles like that, but it takes so much away from a fighter to have fights like that.

I mentioned Meldrick Taylor before, my God what a talent he was! Greased lightning hands, and good pop with his shots too, but he chose to be a brawler and it cost him, it cost him greatness. Look at Riddick Bowe, fine boxer, had a couple all out wars with Evander Holyfield....his time at the top could have been measured in seconds in 1991 he was on the rise and by 1993 he was finished as "THE MAN" of the division....do you think if he had made better use of his height and reach he would have lasted longer?

There are guys who have no choice but to brawl, the short stocky guys, the heavy handed power punchers, the guys with the amazing chins.....but given the choice to do things an easier way and have more success for longer? I'm certain they'd take that opportunity if they had the chance.

Look at Tommy Morrison, typically a thoughtless banger, a wild haymaker throwing slugger....one of his biggest wins of his career was when he made the decision to BOX George Foreman rather than stand toe to toe against him.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not a big fan of klitchsko (only because i feel like someone of his physical specimen and stature should be knocking guys out after they're mentally defeated, instead of running out the clock. It kind of comes with the gladiator mentality... so my opinion him tends to waiver.

At the same time I'll wait for one of his opponents to be in shape, with a plan to use angles and feints to nullify his jab and throw counters over the top and keep working over 12 full rounds, using combination punching and working on the inside before and while they are being clinched before I officially fault the guy for spoiling. Most of his opponent half @$$ it and not giving them the best chance to win. That not his fault for showing up in shape with a trainer, a game plan that uses his reach and size. First good opponent in a while to get close to that was Jennings and i was a little disappointed with the clinching but he also did the smart thing and got to jennings while he was still a little green.

I wont compare him to floyd because at least he's humble, and not trying to win the fights before he gets into the ring. Also he's willing to step out of his backyard to fight.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Thread Information