Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there anything boxing can do about the inactivity in some boxers?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is there anything boxing can do about the inactivity in some boxers?

I mean other than the knee-jerk answers..... move them down the rankings, or...... take their titles away..... things that are already done. Is there another way to force the Wards and the Rigos of the sport to be more active? In what other sport do we have to put up with major stars performing once a year or less? Regardless of the reasons..... legal, promotional, lack of opponents, money issues, whatever..... this is completely unacceptable and bad for the sport. The only justifiable reason for a fighter to be inactive for a very long period of time is injury. Other than that..... it's all hogwash. You write a complete dissertation on the reasons why some boxers fight once a year, and it's all meaningless when you get down to the effects on the sport. Fans generally don't care (at least I don't) why Fighter X or Y aren't getting into the ring, unless it's because of health issues. The amazing thing is how guys like Ward can still maintain their fan base given their crass lack of activity. What is Ward averaging in the last 5-6 years.... less than a fight a year?? How is this even remotely acceptable to anyone? So what can boxing do, if anything?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is there anything boxing can do about the inactivity in some boxers?

Boxers, or most at least, are independent contractors, if they don't want to fight often who the hell is anyone to say it's "unacceptable"? THis is like saying it's unacceptable that a musician doesn't tour more, or another type of artist doesn't release or exhibit more works, its their life. A lot of fighters have an inflated sense of their own drawing power or a sense of entitlement, but even then it's their own business. When you talk about fighters who want to fight but are blackballed or have legal issues, then I suppose you could kill a bunch of promoters and hope some billionaire who just wants to see good fights takes over and operates at a loss... NOt digging this thread, sorry my man.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is there anything boxing can do about the inactivity in some boxers?

The fighters want to fight because that is how they earn their money so it is not in their interest not to actively fight. The only legitimate reason why they would not is to maintain their number 1 spot and not risk the slot.

Ward has had contractual issue but a lot of fighters can not fight because of legal and promotional issues. Perhaps the Boxing Union be set up to protect and represent the boxer to be able to get back into the ring asap as their career is time limited and every year they are out is time lost earning.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    The fighters want to fight because that is how they earn their money so it is not in their interest not to actively fight. The only legitimate reason why they would not is to maintain their number 1 spot and not risk the slot.

Ward has had contractual issue but a lot of fighters can not fight because of legal and promotional issues. Perhaps the Boxing Union be set up to protect and represent the boxer to be able to get back into the ring asap as their career is time limited and every year they are out is time lost earning.
    It's not in my best interest to take days off either, I still do it because I can and I want to a lot of the time. If I were an elite boxer who could make millions I'd probably fight once a year as well. It's as though people don't realize how bad boxing is for you, not matter how long they follow this sport. I respect the warriors who will fight often and anyone, anywhere, but I sure as hell don't envy them. Most of them do it because they have to, frightful way to make a living. If say Mayweather(just an easy example because he's made so much money and wasn't active) had traveled everywhere taking on all comers in his prime, fought everyone people wanted him to at the right times, he probably would have had to retire years ago and not made half the dough. Can anyone honestly say they would have done that in his position? I mean without just being a goof say it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For me the mass attraction and saving grace of boxing is the individuality of it. Its best ring center after some longshot no hoper realizes his biggest victory and worst with crooked judges determining some guys immediate future, broken contracts and blown weights, or top guys of every era who found a way not to fight each other. In the end its not a team sport and if some slouch is willing to be stripped of a trinket, be sued over contract, clowned by fans or dropped from the rankings that's on them. On the other end, some inactivity is good for some fighters..think quality over quantity...if you're on some running up the numbers kick or stacking a record full of pre determined fall guys I just assume you stay off the air. Whatever the case..time erodes.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A fighter should fight as often as "he" wants too. He is the one taking the punches. It's moronic for anyone else to call it unacceptable.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    A fighter should fight as often as "he" wants too. He is the one taking the punches. It's moronic for anyone else to call it unacceptable.
    Of course you have a very valid point and are indeed correct. But at the same time, let's not compare some of the modern fighters who fight rarely to some of their predecessors.
    I don't want to pick anyone out in particular as an example, but I have to . Let's take Andre Ward, despite being a wonderful boxer,he can never be put into a debate about the greats, because He simply hasn't pushed himself enough. If I was a great fighter of the past, I'd be vexed when Ward's name comes up, because I would've had to fight to earn a living, whereas this guy, admittedly talented can strut around talking a lot and fighting very little. Perhaps they earn too much, hence no need to fight as often. Fine, but the fans are paying more and seeing less, and somewhere along the line, that golden egg will disappear.
    I don't think it's out of order to want to see a good fighter fight twice a year at least. Obviously as people get stronger and faster and more powerful, nobody expects these guys to fight once a month.
    It is an interesting subject and there are many viewpoints on it.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think you are right with this one, it's easy for the arm chair warriors to shout there mouths off
    they are not the ones getting smacked in the mouth.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've always felt that professional athletes owe their fans because of how much they get paid. For example, if a fighter gets paid $2 million to fight someone then decides to not fight for a year, I think he is cheating the fans. He got a huge payday and we deserve to be entertained by them more often.

Maybe that's a solution. There is a limit to earn depending on how often you fight and your competition. There's really no way to enforce that though.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I mean other than the knee-jerk answers..... move them down the rankings, or...... take their titles away..... things that are already done. Is there another way to force the Wards and the Rigos of the sport to be more active? In what other sport do we have to put up with major stars performing once a year or less? Regardless of the reasons..... legal, promotional, lack of opponents, money issues, whatever..... this is completely unacceptable and bad for the sport. The only justifiable reason for a fighter to be inactive for a very long period of time is injury. Other than that..... it's all hogwash. You write a complete dissertation on the reasons why some boxers fight once a year, and it's all meaningless when you get down to the effects on the sport. Fans generally don't care (at least I don't) why Fighter X or Y aren't getting into the ring, unless it's because of health issues. The amazing thing is how guys like Ward can still maintain their fan base given their crass lack of activity. What is Ward averaging in the last 5-6 years.... less than a fight a year?? How is this even remotely acceptable to anyone? So what can boxing do, if anything?

All boxing can do is strip them of titles & drop them out of the rankings. But the boxing fans could give them the shaft ? By boycotting the BS fights they do hold. If the promoters lose enough $$$ then things would happen
    Keep on Punchin"
    C.J.
    Hidden Content we love C.J.Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

It's not in my best interest to take days off either, I still do it because I can and I want to a lot of the time. If I were an elite boxer who could make millions I'd probably fight once a year as well. It's as though people don't realize how bad boxing is for you, not matter how long they follow this sport. I respect the warriors who will fight often and anyone, anywhere, but I sure as hell don't envy them. Most of them do it because they have to, frightful way to make a living. If say Mayweather(just an easy example because he's made so much money and wasn't active) had traveled everywhere taking on all comers in his prime, fought everyone people wanted him to at the right times, he probably would have had to retire years ago and not made half the dough. Can anyone honestly say they would have done that in his position? I mean without just being a goof say it.

Then drop them in the rankings till they become irrelevant.
    Either that or let's get ready for PPV events of "Johnnie vs. his promoter in court."

The hypocrisy among boxing fans is what I find amusing.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The hypocrisy of boxing fans is off the charts. We all love fights, especially action-filled fights..... but "oh..... who are WE to expect Johnny to fight more than once every two years". What a load of crap. It might not be boxing PC to say otherwise, but if you're a professional fighter and you have a belt to defend, you should be expected to do so with a reasonable frequency. "Oh... but we're not the ones taking the punches.... and how easy for us armchair spectators to talk".... blah, blah, blah. I'm the only one with the nerve to say I expect fighters to fight. Boxers choose to fight. It's a choice. If that's the sport you chose, then do it... or find something else to do. There's fighters that fight quite frequently. They're exposed to the same perils as every other fighter. How do you account for the disparity between one who fights 2-3 times a year and one who fights every couple of years. Fights between champs don't happen.... people (fans) move on to something else. Maybe that's the answer.... maybe boxing is just a dying sport on it's way out. After all... there's MMA. Surely those guys are more active, right?

Spare me the sob stories.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How is it hypocrisy? We all love good fights among the best, but it's not hard to see why fighters want to maximize their career and be paid well, that just sounds like being reasonable to me. You're the only one with the nerve? Come on man, speak for yourself with the sob stories. Yeesh. You're right that guys with belts should be mandated to defend them, but if they aren't it's hardly unfathomable that they wouldn't voluntarily give them up. Don't hate the playa, I guess..

I'm sure you still support Cotto throughout this iron clad stance of yours? He's been playing ball as much as any fighter in the last couple of years.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm talking about inactivity.... and singling out the Wards of the boxing world.
    Promotional issue excuses can only take you so far.

People might not like Cotto's antics. But he's active.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's hasn't defended his title against legit challengers or even at the allowed weight for the division, why shouldn't he be stripped for that? Is Andre Ward even still the WBA champion at supermiddle? I thought he had already lost that, which he should have I'll grant you. He was stripped of the WBC at some point, and I don't think that was even when he was so inactive. I'm all for mandatory defences and stripping champions who don't honour them, but can't knock any fighter who fights rarely if they can still do well for themselves, that's what I'd do in their shoes, all I was saying.

Thread Information