Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default investing

Wondering if any of you guys invest. I recently got some shares in tesla and Apple. Hoping these are good stocks for the future.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: investing

invest invest family fest, yes, index funds they're great, saab, scania.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Wondering if any of you guys invest. I recently got some shares in tesla and Apple. Hoping these are good stocks for the future.
    Ask KirklandLaing....he knows all and sees all....he also provides graphs

Or ask Brockton who will suggest a sack of Krugerrands and a reliable firearm

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know nothing about stocks. I'm not just saying that, I know absolutely nothing.

I've told you before. Put your money in a nice low fee index fund. Vanguard are good but shop around. I have 30% of my dough in various index funds, 30% in real estate, 30% in with the money I manage and ten percent in various what are termed alternative investments.

The best thing you can invest in is bricks and mortar. You shouldn't be investing a lot of dough in stocks particularly in this day and age unless you have enough property to live off your property rents for the rest of your life. If you're putting a significant percentage of your dough in stocks and you don't know what you're doing, and you don't, you very most likely are not going to come out ahead.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My dear trusted friend @@Walrus, this is a very good opportunity for us both to wet our beaks. I have made this kind offer befo but it was not taken up by de patty concerned

The reason I have contacted you on this post is because I have researched you very carefully, and I know you are a person of the highest integrity and standing in this community. You have over many posts here (which means you are fully known and respected throughout the highest circles of influence). I have made dis offer before on this forum, but the person was a fool and a donkey and did not wish to become rich.

My real name is Adesanjo Odebasi, and I believe that it is very important, at this crucial time, to be totally open and honest with you - my brother and partner in business so that we may proceed in a trusting and family way with this business transaction I will propose to you, O my brother.

I am the eldest son of His Excellency Doctor Professor Goodluck Alwaysplayfair Odebasi NCG, KRNA, BCG. My father is de Minister of Energy for Nigeria and also the OPEC delegate for the west of Africa. You may use your esteemed sources to verify this information and to satisfy yourself of my credentials and my bona fide intentions towards you, my uncle and business friend.

My Fatha, he has recently transacted an agreement with Gazprom of Russia and wid de National Oil Corporation of China in Nigeria, my contry.

Currently, we have USD10,750,250 in our Bank Account 334563278 in the Nigerian National Bank, Lagos, Nigeria as a result of this legal and good faith transaction.

My father, the respected Minister wishes to move dese monies outside our contry so that we may be advantageous of Foreign Exchange benefits in international market liquidity.

Now, my good fren, you may know that it is not possible to transact foreign currency exchange in Nigeria, so I would be honoured to enter into a partnership with you to expedite dis legal business transaction wid you.

I have been totally honest with you. My fadda, he wishes to deposit de while sum of USD10,750,250 (ten million, seven hondrd fiddy tousand and two hondred fiddy dollars)into your bank Account. My private banker, Mr Olajide Adewole (President of de Nigeria National Bank, will provide you wid de appropriate references and guarantees and you may reach him on ola.officialbankpresident@hotmail.com to satisfy your good self of our credentials

Our proposition is this. We will immediately deposit de monies into your account within 24 hours. In return for dis, you will receive de sum of one million (1,000,000)US dollars as a transaction fee. As you can see, I know I can trust you with dis proposal. Immediately thereafter, we will withdraw de balance of USD 9,750,250 from your account. You will therefore retain de balance of USD One Million for your professional and legal services in dis matter.

I wish that you, as a serious and clever man would then transact dese money to our home and private account

All day we need to start this transaction is information regarding our official transfer of de money. If you, my esteemed partner will simply send me de details of your account, I will immediately take dis action

Wonce you send me dis information - account name, number and location, we will act in a trusting way wid you so you gets your money straightaway

I Lloyd forward to herring from you

Professor Adesanjo Odebasi PhD
    Executive Assistant to GA Odebasi VCR, KPMG
    Highest Cultural Attaché
    Nigerian Rich Oil Republic
    His Excellency
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

El Kabong Guest

Don't trust him....he's not Nigerian Royalty, now THOSE folks you can trust

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    I know nothing about stocks. I'm not just saying that, I know absolutely nothing.

I've told you before. Put your money in a nice low fee index fund. Vanguard are good but shop around. I have 30% of my dough in various index funds, 30% in real estate, 30% in with the money I manage and ten percent in various what are termed alternative investments.

The best thing you can invest in is bricks and mortar. You shouldn't be investing a lot of dough in stocks particularly in this day and age unless you have enough property to live off your property rents for the rest of your life. If you're putting a significant percentage of your dough in stocks and you don't know what you're doing, and you don't, you very most likely are not going to come out ahead.
    I have more in funds than individual stocks. Haven't had to put any new money into stocks in years. I sell what's up or down and buy others. I do have a rental property but to be honest tenants make me nervous, I haven't had a bad one yet but in the US they can screw you for months.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have shares which I buy regularly and they have done better than putting it in the bank. I want enough to sell and but a property to rent out as Kirkland suggests.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've had some excellent funds. One was a health and science which outperformed the market for fifteen years straight. Just now as the biotechs start tanking its a bit shaky. I would not put the majority in individual stocks but I have a couple that have done so well it always keeps my interest. I've been fortunate with my rental property, it hasn't been unoccupied for one day thus far, now that I said that I probably jinxed myself.Kirk, when you say alternative investments, what do you mean. And don't tell me I don't know what I'm doing, unless you have a graph to back that up.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm trying to think of a name I wanted to invest- When I worked in a AS/400 midrange it was for a financial broker.

I also printed the very info brokers hand off to their potential customers- the one that I fancied/remembered was a company that printed/made labels for various companies.

Such as a company that makes a label stating " no trans fat" or "All natural flavors" There is like 2 or 3 companies at best tat the top...I will try to remember their name.

2 years after I left -that very company had orders up the wazoo to redo labels "zero fat" "zero calories"
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GM-- General Mills was one of their biggest clients.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've had some excellent funds. One was a health and science which outperformed the market for fifteen years straight. Just now as the biotechs start tanking its a bit shaky. I would not put the majority in individual stocks but I have a couple that have done so well it always keeps my interest. I've been fortunate with my rental property, it hasn't been unoccupied for one day thus far, now that I said that I probably jinxed myself.Kirk, when you say alternative investments, what do you mean. And don't tell me I don't know what I'm doing, unless you have a graph to back that up.
    What I'm trying to do here is stop you losing a lot of your money. I'm trying to work out what's in your head and post what I think is most likely to save you from yourself. You should never invest in individual stocks no matter what you've read about them.

But you've given me an idea with the graph thing. Here's a graph. Tell me all about it, as much context as possible.

It comes from here:
    Shiller PE Ratio

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The graph shows shares go up and down and nothing much has changed in their value?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What I'm trying to do here is stop you losing a lot of your money. I'm trying to work out what's in your head and post what I think is most likely to save you from yourself. You should never invest in individual stocks no matter what you've read about them.

But you've given me an idea with the graph thing. Here's a graph. Tell me all about it, as much context as possible.

It comes from here:
    Shiller PE Ratio
    I actually agree with you, one should not primarily invest in individual stocks but I think your not reading everything I wrote or I'm not explaining. My primary investments are in housing and index funds, Ira both Roth and traditional. The individual stocks I invest in are just a side thing for me. I hit it big with an ipo a number of years ago and have used a small portion of those returns to keep in individual stocks. I live by the motto if your investments keep you up at night get out. Even with my individual stocks I try to even things out from being tech heavy and create diversification with a bundle of stocks. It just surprises me you think you have the answers for everyone. Even if I lost 100 percent of my individual stocks I'd still be alright. But your graphs are always appreciated.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My primary investments are in housing and index funds, Ira both Roth and traditional.

Oops, my bad- over my head.

Thread Information