Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Which was the better fight?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Recent MEGA FIGHTS: Which was the best one?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Recent MEGA FIGHTS: Which was the best one?

Not whether the result was what you wanted. Not what you may have invested in it. Strictly talking fight quality and "watchability" if you will. Going on the premise there's been 3 mega fights as of late... which one was the best fight? In terms of action, competitiveness, excitement, skills displayed... etc.

Floyd-Pac
    Canelo-Cotto
    Fury-Wlad

My personal vote was Canelo-Cotto. Not the result I personally wanted, but the best fight of the three by far. Let's take Floyd-Pac. Major letdown. Pacquiao totally underwhelmed. People were left arguing whether it was that Pac didn't do enough, or whether Floyd style is horrible and all he did was wrong. Regardless of what you think, it was a letdown, as compared to the hype.

Fury-Wlad was a great result, as far as I'm concerned, but let's face it.... any fight where the defending champion (or the opponent for that matter) throws and connects as few punches as Wlad did.... it's a crappy fight in terms of quality. I'm happy Fury won.... but Wlad should just retire off this chickensh*t effort.

Canelo-Cotto had non-stop action. IMO, Cotto did as well as could be expected, considering the advantages he was giving away. There was a lot of close rounds... lots of punches thrown and connected.... and a good level of excitement.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Recent MEGA FIGHTS: Which was the best one?

I agree. None of the three turned into good fights but at least Cotto seemed like the most game loser of the three.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All 3 were not great or lived up to the hype.

Floyd v one arm bandit was a joke and if they try and sell that crap for next year they need shooting.

Fury v Wlad was awful boxing and not great to watch.

Cotto and Canelo by comparison was the better of the 3 but GGG v Lemeux was far better than all of that.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting thread. You are limiting the discussion to those three fights, and I agree with the majority that only the Canelo vs Cotto fight was competitive or entertaining. That being said, your post also brought me to another conclusion: there hasn't been a competitive mega fight in YEARS.

80s: Great fights like Duran vs Leonard, Leonard vs Hearns, Hearns vs Hagler, Pryor vs Arguello, and Holyfield vs Qawi, to name a few.

90s: Holyfield vs Bowe, Holy vs Tyson, Carbajal vs Gonzales, Benn vs G-Man, Taylor vs Chavez, and Foreman vs Moorer, to name a few.

2000s: Chico vs Castillo, Gatti vs Ward, Barerra vs Morales, Morales vs Pac, Pac vs Cotto, Pac vs JMM, Lewis vs Vitali, and even Roy vs Tarver.

I can't think of great, competitive mega fights in this decade. Most seemed to be one sided or never happen at all. Froch vs Bute was, Froch vs Kessler, and Froch vs Grove were good, I guess. Just don't see the same level of comp these days, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Interesting thread. You are limiting the discussion to those three fights, and I agree with the majority that only the Canelo vs Cotto fight was competitive or entertaining. That being said, your post also brought me to another conclusion: there hasn't been a competitive mega fight in YEARS.

80s: Great fights like Duran vs Leonard, Leonard vs Hearns, Hearns vs Hagler, Pryor vs Arguello, and Holyfield vs Qawi, to name a few.

90s: Holyfield vs Bowe, Holy vs Tyson, Carbajal vs Gonzales, Benn vs G-Man, Taylor vs Chavez, and Foreman vs Moorer, to name a few.

2000s: Chico vs Castillo, Gatti vs Ward, Barerra vs Morales, Morales vs Pac, Pac vs Cotto, Pac vs JMM, Lewis vs Vitali, and even Roy vs Tarver.

I can't think of great, competitive mega fights in this decade. Most seemed to be one sided or never happen at all. Froch vs Bute was, Froch vs Kessler, and Froch vs Grove were good, I guess. Just don't see the same level of comp these days, in my opinion.

All those mega fights you mentioned were good. I was concentrating on a very short period of time, seeing as to how Floyd-Pac wasn't that long ago, and we've had the other two fights since then. I just thought Floyd-Pac was extremely disappointing, whereas Fury-Wlad wasn't very aesthetically pleasing. Canelo-Cotto was good, although next time I watch the recording I'll do so with the sound off. Biased commentating can sure put the desired spin on a fight. Canelo won, but it wasn't the whitewash Lampley and company saw.

Thread Information