Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eubank, Benn, Watson and the last golden era of British boxing.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Eubank, Benn, Watson and the last golden era of British boxing.

Collins came to UK after getting his ass handed to him by top fighters in the US the Bodysnatcher and Reggie Johnson. No way could Collins live with Jones or Toney.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Collins came to UK after getting his ass handed to him by top fighters in the US the Bodysnatcher and Reggie Johnson. No way could Collins live with Jones or Toney.
    More and more Jones will have the on paper 'what ifs' with a few big name opportunities that he never pursued. Collins did well to run with and come within a point vs a far better and prime Johnson than Jones faced if anything.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eubank would have won the rematch had the ref awarded Eubank a genuine knockdown from a body shot. Collins hoodwinked the ref in to thinking it was a slip by running up to him and giving him his gloves to wipe down.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Why was it "The last golden era of British boxing?"

The title may as well been - "When nobody had SKY/Cable, the internet or social media"
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Why was it "The last golden era of British boxing?"

The title may as well been - "When nobody had SKY/Cable, the internet or social media"
    It was when 16 million people watched boxing on free national TV. Legendary.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After 2 fights in USA, Arum signed Benn with a 5 fight deal aiming to fight ultimately Leonard or Duran with minimum $250,000 per fight.

Watson broke from Duff’s contract because he was not allowed to be his promoter and manger at the same time. This clause allowed Calzaghe to leave Duff too later on.

Benn did not rip his boxing licence on TV but was in fact cardboard from a serial box.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris Eubank dropped the s from his name at the start of his boxing career.

Peter Eubank beat Barry McGuigan and gave him his first professional defeat.

Chris was stopped by a body shot in his first amateur match.

Eubank never said boxing was a mugs game, his exact words were “Boxing at a very low and journeyman level is a mugs game. Taking shots around the head for a pittance is without doubt a thankless task and a mugs game”.

When Benn fought Eubank, G Man was the number 1 contender but because it was a new title and wanted to establish itself couple with G Man not having the influence Nigel fought Eubank instead. Chris never contemplated fighting G Man.

Chris Eubank accent is fake and his claim to be eloquent is all an act as he had to ask reporters if the big words he was using were correctly used.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris Eubank dropped the s from his name at the start of his boxing career.

Peter Eubank beat Barry McGuigan and gave him his first professional defeat.

Chris was stopped by a body shot in his first amateur match.

Eubank never said boxing was a mugs game, his exact words were “Boxing at a very low and journeyman level is a mugs game. Taking shots around the head for a pittance is without doubt a thankless task and a mugs game”.

When Benn fought Eubank, G Man was the number 1 contender but because it was a new title and wanted to establish itself couple with G Man not having the influence Nigel fought Eubank instead. Chris never contemplated fighting G Man.

Chris Eubank accent is fake and his claim to be eloquent is all an act as he had to ask reporters if the big words he was using were correctly used.
    Explosive revalations!

Im now suspecting he never really needed that monacle either!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did Eubank fight different after something happened to wastson i am not sure what it was i really only know about Calzghe at smw well. Was there something that happened that eneded up changing the way that guy fought like he was tad more passive or something.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Did Eubank fight different after something happened to wastson i am not sure what it was i really only know about Calzghe at smw well. Was there something that happened that eneded up changing the way that guy fought like he was tad more passive or something.
    That was the popular perception, and I certainly remember when he was beating up Henry Wharton and asking for the ref to stop the fight because he didn't want to pull the trigger. But tbf , Wharton , although getting well beat, was a tough fucker and was taking it fairly well .
    Many people, and Eubank himself would say that this is why he got beat by Collins, but the Collins fights were quite a long time after the Watson fight, and he'd fought quite a few guys inbetween, including a draw in the Benn rematch (which I thought he lost btw.)
    it probably did affect him a bit, but he kept going.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    That was the popular perception, and I certainly remember when he was beating up Henry Wharton and asking for the ref to stop the fight because he didn't want to pull the trigger. But tbf , Wharton , although getting well beat, was a tough fucker and was taking it fairly well .
    Many people, and Eubank himself would say that this is why he got beat by Collins, but the Collins fights were quite a long time after the Watson fight, and he'd fought quite a few guys inbetween, including a draw in the Benn rematch (which I thought he lost btw.)
    Quite a long time?

It was only 3.5 years later!

Is there a time limit where putting someone in a coma stops affecting you?

He had 14 ffights inbetween and bar the stunning one punch KO of Jarvis they all went 12 rounds.

I think he was still affected, you only need to see his reaction to Collins sagging through the ropes when he dropped him in the tenth. Plus with that many world title fights travelling all over and all going 12 in such a short period I think he was a bit jaded and maybe struggling with the weight.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quite a long time?

Yes, in a boxing career, that is quite a long time , is it not?

It was only 3.5 years later!

Correct, read above comment.

Is there a time limit where putting someone in a coma stops affecting you?

Absolutely not. like I said in my post , there were signs when he fought Wharton that it affected him.

He had 14 ffights inbetween and bar the stunning one punch KO of Jarvis they all went 12 rounds.

Correct again, your point is ? bear in mind, I didn't say it never affected him.

I think he was still affected, you only need to see his reaction to Collins sagging through the ropes when he dropped him in the tenth. Plus with that many world title fights travelling all over and all going 12 in such a short period I think he was a bit jaded and maybe struggling with the weight.

I'm not disagreeing with you , infact if you read the last line of my post (I know you find it difficult to concentrate enough to read my "essays") , you would realise that I said it probably did affect him a bit , of course it would. However , there were probably other factors as well , which you admitted in the last line of your post!
    I'm struggling to see why you questioned my post, apart from the predictable irrational defence of one of your Bum Chums as per usual.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As Ross said it did make a difference and most of his fights went to points after that and he did not want to finish off his opponent. I read in his book that it did affect him and some woman shouted at him that it should have been him in that coma.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As Ross said it did make a difference and most of his fights went to points after that and he did not want to finish off his opponent. I read in his book that it did affect him and some woman shouted at him that it should have been him in that coma.
    There is also a lesser known incident that his range rovers handbrake failed when he parked it and it rolled in to a road worker and killed them. Hes had some bad luck has Eubank and doesnt deserve alot of the crap he gets. Alot of it is jealousy. British people cant help themselves but berate anyone who believes in themselves and has the bollocks to dare to put their money where their mouth is and then go and win!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    There is also a lesser known incident that his range rovers handbrake failed when he parked it and it rolled in to a road worker and killed them. Hes had some bad luck has Eubank and doesnt deserve alot of the crap he gets. Alot of it is jealousy. British people cant help themselves but berate anyone who believes in themselves and has the bollocks to dare to put their money where their mouth is and then go and win!
    I heard about that death but was not 100% sure. That is very sad.

Even against Carl Thompson he did not finish him off.

Thread Information