Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shane Mosley's thoughts on a GGG-Canelo fight

Share/Bookmark
    Addicted to_boxing Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I don't think it's an even fight at all, Shane I'm guessing hasn't been in the ring with Golovkin anyways. I do think CAnelo would take the fight and that it would be competitive in some ways, don't expect his people to go for it but you never know. Lara was a very risky fight for him, he deserves some benefit of the doubt here until he shows other plans.

I think it's as much of a joke as anyone else that he holds the "middleweight" title and can make guys go below 160, but he hansn't really had an unfair advantage over anyone yet, I don't think? Can hardly spin the catch weights as an edge he had on Floyd or Cotto.
    IMO, the only guys he hasn't had either a size or an "over-the-hill" advantage on are: Lara and Trout.
    The rest fall into one of those categories.
    Floyd? He came down to 150 or so for that, showed he was willing to go both ways with it at least. I don't think anyone was saying Cotto was over the hill either, and it's a bit unfair to just say that after the fact. The weight suited them both fine, Cotto probably couldn't have made much lower and was/is still a damn good boxer.

He was bigger than both Floyd and Cotto at fight time. Difference is Floyd overwhelmed him with his superior speed and boxing skills, pitching a shutout. Very few, if any, exchanges between Floyd and Canelo. Cotto was also noticeably smaller in the ring. In this case it worked to Cotto's detriment. He tagged Canelo numerous times... but Canelo would basically shrug them off. He imposed his size on Cotto in what was a closer fight than most people would've thought.

I might be wrong, but I just think whenever Canelo fights someone good his own size, be it GGG or someone else.... he might be in for a rude awakening. Which is why I hope GGG sticks to his guns and demands to meet Canelo at 160.
    Let's be honest GGG needs to fight Lara or Trout caliber opponents. His body of work is a joke and if it were not for his closing ability he would not be anybody. Fight at least one Marque name opponent in his prime and have a successful PPV then you can make demands. Right now he has zero leverage. I do not recall Pacquiao ever getting grilled for his cherry picking to this severity and he fought past their prime guys coming off losses in last 1-3 fights or catch weights . Most fall into those categories. So you may as well discredit Pac's accomplishments as well! JMM being the lone exception.
    Last edited by Addicted to_boxing; 02-02-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shane Mosley's thoughts on a GGG-Canelo fight

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted to_boxing View Post
    I don't think it's an even fight at all, Shane I'm guessing hasn't been in the ring with Golovkin anyways. I do think CAnelo would take the fight and that it would be competitive in some ways, don't expect his people to go for it but you never know. Lara was a very risky fight for him, he deserves some benefit of the doubt here until he shows other plans.

I think it's as much of a joke as anyone else that he holds the "middleweight" title and can make guys go below 160, but he hansn't really had an unfair advantage over anyone yet, I don't think? Can hardly spin the catch weights as an edge he had on Floyd or Cotto.
    IMO, the only guys he hasn't had either a size or an "over-the-hill" advantage on are: Lara and Trout.
    The rest fall into one of those categories.
    Floyd? He came down to 150 or so for that, showed he was willing to go both ways with it at least. I don't think anyone was saying Cotto was over the hill either, and it's a bit unfair to just say that after the fact. The weight suited them both fine, Cotto probably couldn't have made much lower and was/is still a damn good boxer.

He was bigger than both Floyd and Cotto at fight time. Difference is Floyd overwhelmed him with his superior speed and boxing skills, pitching a shutout. Very few, if any, exchanges between Floyd and Canelo. Cotto was also noticeably smaller in the ring. In this case it worked to Cotto's detriment. He tagged Canelo numerous times... but Canelo would basically shrug them off. He imposed his size on Cotto in what was a closer fight than most people would've thought.

I might be wrong, but I just think whenever Canelo fights someone good his own size, be it GGG or someone else.... he might be in for a rude awakening. Which is why I hope GGG sticks to his guns and demands to meet Canelo at 160.
    Let's be honest GGG needs to fight Lara or Trout caliber opponents. His body of work is a joke and if it were not for his closing ability he would not be anybody. Fight at least one Marque name opponent in his prime and have a successful PPV then you can make demands. Right now he has zero leverage. I do not recall Pacquiao ever getting grilled for his cherry picking to this severity and he fought past their prime guys coming off losses in last 1-3 fights or catch weights . Most fall into those categories. So you may as well discredit Pac's accomplishments as well! JMM being the lone exception.

Name one fighter who GGG has ducked at 160. ONE. The fact that this guy doesn't have too many glittering names on his resume is hardly his fault. He's the 160-pound champion.... had fought at that division since the beginning.... and hasn't said no to anyone wanting to challenge him at that weight. Why should he cave to the prima donna Canelo and go down to 155? Everybody on planet Earth knows Canelo is AT LEAST a middleweight masquerading as a LMW. Why not just go up to 160 and quit the charade? Because he's afraid he'll get the freckles knocked off his face by GGG if he does.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto was the one that was scared of ggg and wanted a catch weight at mw and i did not hear anything out of you then. Canelo just got the belt after agreeing to the catch weight that cotto wanted so iguess the one to blame for this would be cotto being afraid of ggg.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Cotto was the one that was scared of ggg and wanted a catch weight at mw and i did not hear anything out of you then. Canelo just got the belt after agreeing to the catch weight that cotto wanted so iguess the one to blame for this would be cotto being afraid of ggg.
    So? Both are bullshit. One does not justify the other. The facts dont even matter anymore which isn't surprising. The first thing this species does when fossil fuels melted the Northwest Passage was to use it as a quick shipping lane for coal and survey it for drilling. Why should boxing be any different?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    So? Both are bullshit. One does not justify the other. The facts dont even matter anymore which isn't surprising. The first thing this species does when fossil fuels melted the Northwest Passage was to use it as a quick shipping lane for coal and survey it for drilling. Why should boxing be any different?
    How many catch weights has Canelo asked for in his career none that i can think of. He has fought at all weights that were asked of him and he just won the belt so i think it is jumping the gun. What is it that yo u have against Canelo he has not asked for a catch weight yet.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For the umpteenth time, kid. They can both be accused of avoiding GGG but at least Cotto has the excuse of being totally undersized. Canelo walks around at close to 180, yet shows his yellow streak by trying to force GGG down to 155.

And to put a cherry on top of the argument...... Canelo's next opponent has just been announced.
    It's Amir Khan, FFS!!!

Listen..... I know you're going to continue to hold on to your juvenile crushes..... but Canelo is just indefensible.
    Give it up.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For the umpteenth time, kid. They can both be accused of avoiding GGG but at least Cotto has the excuse of being totally undersized. Canelo walks around at close to 180, yet shows his yellow streak by trying to force GGG down to 155.

And to put a cherry on top of the argument...... Canelo's next opponent has just been announced.
    It's Amir Khan, FFS!!!

Listen..... I know you're going to continue to hold on to your juvenile crushes..... but Canelo is just indefensible.
    Give it up.
    Let's see if I got this right. You had no problem with Cotto forcing the middleweight champion (Sergio Martinez) to fight at a catch-weight below the middleweight limit in order to make the fight. You had no problem with Cotto forcing Daniel Geale (who has been a full fledged middleweight since 2007) to fight at a catch-weight below the middleweight limit. And you had no problem with Cotto dictating the weight in the Alvarez fight. But you got a problem with Alvarez coming down in weight to fight Khan. Even though coming down benefits Khan more. Of course you do. Why? Cuz one is Puerto Rican. And the other one is Mexican. It's ok when the Puerto Rican does it. But when the Mexican does it your pussy starts hurting. I haven't seen such hypocrisy since I saw a Felix Trindad groupie call Orlando Salido a dirty fighter cuz he tends to go low on his punches

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's Amir Khan, FFS!!!

Give it up.
    i am far from kid so I do not need your disrespect also I am not a person who will just overlook something like you because he comes from your island i had no idea he was fighting khan next. I swear you are most rude childish person i have ever talk to you bitch about what people do when you dislike them but if there your hero or man crush they can do no wrong. Canelo fighting Khan pretty shitty but if his next defense is GGG then fuck it i will have to wait to see. I will say this though out his career Canelo has done nothing but face top fighters see no reason why he would not end up fighting GGG and he just won the title so not like been that long. As for his weight he cuts down to it legally so that is the weight class he fights at not to mention if Cotto was not mw why did fight for it and hold the title up and make all the fighters cut weight to fight him.
    Last edited by Mr140; 02-03-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

It's Amir Khan, FFS!!!

Give it up.
    Let's see if I got this right. You had no problem with Cotto forcing the middleweight champion (Sergio Martinez) to fight at a catch-weight below the middleweight limit in order to make the fight. You had no problem with Cotto forcing Daniel Geale (who has been a full fledged middleweight since 2007) to fight at a catch-weight below the middleweight limit. And you had no problem with Cotto dictating the weight in the Alvarez fight. But you got a problem with Alvarez coming down in weight to fight Khan. Even though coming down benefits Khan more. Of course you do. Why? Cuz one is Puerto Rican. And the other one is Mexican. It's ok when the Puerto Rican does it. But when the Mexican does it your pussy starts hurting. I haven't seen such hypocrisy since I saw a Felix Trindad groupie call Orlando Salido a dirty fighter cuz he tends to go low on his punches

Twist it however you like. You and I both know that bottom line is Canelo uses weight advantage to its full benefit in just about every fight he has. I already stated 90% of Canelo's opponents have historically been either undersized or over-the-hill. The only notable exceptions have been Lara and Trout. Respond to that before you begin your usual tirade of insults. Canelo and JCC Jr. are so alike in that regard it's downright eerie. Unless you outweigh your opponent by 30 pounds on fight night, it ain't worth it. Seems it's the only way they can win. Junior already got his life lesson on that. Soon it'll be Canelo. That is IF..... he ever develops the "cojones" to fight GGG at the weight they SHOULD fight at.

Now let's see if I got THIS right.
    You're claiming an unfair weight drain advantage on the Cotto-Martinez fight because it was fought at 159 instead of 160??

Oh yeah..... Martinez looked real "skeletical" the night of the fight.
    You can't POSSIBLY be that stupid. Well..... yeah you can.
    Next ridiculous claim.....

Geale's the only realistic claim you've got. You mentioned Canelo also. "Dictate the weight"? Technically, it was Cotto's belt they were disputing. So dictate he will. But in the end, who does 155 benefit, anyway? Canelo claims that's his weight, doesn't he? Or is it only when he's ducking GGG that 155 is his weight? Seems like there's enough hypocrisy to go around, isn't there.

But let's just look at careers, shall we? Bottom line is.... Cotto has rarely if ever outweighed his opponent on fight night, especially by the ridiculous margins that Canelo is accustomed to. If we can't agree on that.... it's not even worth arguing. If anything, Cotto is usually the smaller guy in the ring. The fact that he gave Canelo such a competitive fight was amazing given the size difference. It's the only way Canelo gets through his fights. 'Cause it's not like his boxing skills have ever dazzled anyone.

Finally, you couldn't resist a parting jab at Trinidad. But again.... you and I both know better, don't we. The entire boxing world considers the PED-using Salido to be a dirty fighter. Even his mother admits to it. He himself knows it. No big deal. He's neither the first nor will he be the last. On the other hand, you still seem pretty butt-hurt about the couple of low blows Trinidad landed on Vargas... while ignoring the more than a couple Vargas himself landed on Trinidad. Hypocrisy rears it's ugly head once again. Do me a favor will you. Don't ever put Salido and Trinidad in the same sentence again.
    Last edited by TitoFan; 02-04-2016 at 08:47 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

It's Amir Khan, FFS!!!

Give it up.

Twist it however you like. You and I both know that bottom line is Canelo uses weight advantage to its full benefit in just about every fight he has. I already stated 90% of Canelo's opponents have historically been either undersized or over-the-hill. The only notable exceptions have been Lara and Trout. Respond to that before you begin your usual tirade of insults. Canelo and JCC Jr. are so alike in that regard it's downright eerie. Unless you outweigh your opponent by 30 pounds on fight night, it ain't worth it. Seems it's the only way they can win. Junior already got his life lesson on that. Soon it'll be Canelo. That is IF..... he ever develops the "cojones" to fight GGG at the weight they SHOULD fight at.

Now let's see if I got THIS right.
    You're claiming an unfair weight drain advantage on the Cotto-Martinez fight because it was fought at 159 instead of 160??

Oh yeah..... Martinez looked real "skeletical" the night of the fight.
    You can't POSSIBLY be that stupid. Well..... yeah you can.
    Next ridiculous claim.....

Geale's the only realistic claim you've got. You mentioned Canelo also. "Dictate the weight"? Technically, it was Cotto's belt they were disputing. So dictate he will. But in the end, who does 155 benefit, anyway? Canelo claims that's his weight, doesn't he? Or is it only when he's ducking GGG that 155 is his weight? Seems like there's enough hypocrisy to go around, isn't there.

But let's just look at careers, shall we? Bottom line is.... Cotto has rarely if ever outweighed his opponent on fight night, especially by the ridiculous margins that Canelo is accustomed to. If we can't agree on that.... it's not even worth arguing. If anything, Cotto is usually the smaller guy in the ring. The fact that he gave Canelo such a competitive fight was amazing given the size difference. It's the only way Canelo gets through his fights. 'Cause it's not like his boxing skills have ever dazzled anyone.

Finally, you couldn't resist a parting jab at Trinidad. But again.... you and I both know better, don't we. The entire boxing world considers the PED-using Salido to be a dirty fighter. Even his mother admits to it. He himself knows it. No big deal. He's neither the first nor will he be the last. On the other hand, you still seem pretty butt-hurt about the couple of low blows Trinidad landed on Vargas... while ignoring the more than a couple Vargas himself landed on Trinidad. Hypocrisy rears it's ugly head once again. Do me a favor will you. Don't ever put Salido and Trinidad in the same sentence again.
    I think the weight is on Canelo side but he was not cheating to get to it like Jr was so what is the problem if he can cut weight and still be health he must carry alot of water weight. As for the fighters he has beat Lara, Trout and Cotto who he boxed well with and dodge a lot more punches then i though he would. Canelo is super young and at his age his resume looks fine i will give you that the Khan fight is weak but if he fights GGG in September i am fine with it. If not he should drop the belt because GGG needs to get it so if he does not fight him this year he should be stripped.

Thread Information