Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Matthysse to come back at 147

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Matthysse to come back at 147

Big fan of Matthysse but he lost last time like a fighter that's mentally had enough of this lark.

He's such a sicko whacker he'll probably be just as dangerous a chinning merchant at 147 but how will he take it? He'll make for some terrific matchups if he's not finished.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Matthysse was a top fighter but being stopped and moving up in weight with age catching up with him he has a tough job. If he is with Al Haymon type then he can be built up with fighters he could beat easily. He will need a good promoter/manager but it does not look good for him.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll still root for him, but don't see him reaching the level he was at again. He's had a really tough couple of years, fought Provo and Postol in consecutive fights, pretty understandable that he said fuck this shit last time, but it still doesn't look good. If he stays away from the bigger, natural welterweights there's a chance the move up helps a fighter at his age with such natural power, but you never know, and who is there for him to aim for? I wouldn't want to hear about him fighting Brook, or the THurman-POrter winner say, unless he had a really good performance over someone else first. Think even a Garcia rematch would be unwise to rush into. To bad Broner is at 140 now, always wanted to see Lucas fight him.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't get it. Lucas never looked like he had trouble making weight at 140. Against Postol he was stopped for only the first time, and he looked much smaller than Postol. Why the hell would he go up to 147? I'm a bit Lucas fan, but am puzzled by this decision.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never thought he had problems making weight either. But it does seem like he has performance anxiety in the big fights. Every time he's stepped up to fight a champ, he became a one dimensional plodder and got outboxed. Broke my heart every time. Maybe at '47 he'll be forced to rely on boxing more and relying on his power less.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Garcia owned him when everyone else thought he was scared..garcia is still the man with the underdog pedigree.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Always wonder about a guy moving up off a devastating loss. He always struck me smallish at 140 made up for with better boxing than maybe given credit for and that automatic eraser of a punch. Like to see him come back right and be afforded the rebuild if he moves up and not be tossed in for a scalp as "Haymon fodder". Hey the way we're going if he gets a win at 147 who knows, he might get a fight with Chavez jr at a 171 CW . Wish him the best and look forward to his return. Very fan friendly fighter and fun to watch.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always thought Lucas was a tough bird and he still is world class. The problem is that he does not have the good sense to build up a defense that helps you build up a second wind in a fight like that last one he had. There is no shame in utilizing that left jab to locate the opponent when you blink. He blinked last time more than once. Going up in weight at this time into a more talented, technical division complete with hungry dogs as opponents bigger than the last guy that sent you on a journey you didn't pack for properly requires preparation and reflection. In reflection he should ask this question,"Did I carry this thing too far? It was great to be feared as the tough guy but Provol if I spelled his name right treated him that way and fought him as though his life depended on it. It is just my belief that's all.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Matthysse vs Abregu in a tune up fight.

Let's see it!

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's go Mathysse! Win or lose he makes fights exciting.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So he pulled out of return fight sighting eye injury. Week earlier he tweeted he was "unmotivated" hmm. Shame to hear and future could be up in the air.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    So he pulled out of return fight sighting eye injury. Week earlier he tweeted he was "unmotivated" hmm. Shame to hear and future could be up in the air.
    He and Maidana made a splash here in the US. Now their stars are fading. Still love to see them fight each other.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's a photograph of Maidana on boxing scene showing him looking about 200 pounds.

http://imgur.com/JrbnKmu

For some reason I can't post it but there it is. At least Maidana has made a load of money. Matthysse hasn't made that kind of dough and I don't think he'll do anything dramatic at 147 either.

In other fat bastard news Chavez Junior has pulled out of the Jack fight with a heel injury. Yeah. He's probably still fifty pounds heavier than Maidana.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I honestly cannot fault the dude. He worked for it entire career and never phoned it in vs anyone except Papa Johns and wings & things. Its one thing to stay completely out and indulge to reap the rewards butt another to grow gordo and then come back a bloated sack riding a rep for pay. If he comes back all floppy fun tits and no desire..then all bets are off!

Thread Information