Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Erik Morales Q and A

http://www.fightnews.com/bates58.htm

Erik "El Terrible" Morales (48-4, 34 KOs) is known worldwide to all fans who love the sport of boxing. He has won world titles in three different weight divisions and has been involved in many classic ring wars in becoming one of boxing's biggest superstars. What many fans do not know is the Erik Morales outside the ropes. Erik is a very down-to-earth person. No large entourages or heavy security follow him around and he is very accessible to the public in his hometown of Tijuana. As I saw in person, Morales always takes the time to sign autographs and pose for pictures with all who ask. On Monday, Erik spoke with Fightnews.com about fighters that he is promoting, his last fight with Manny Pacquiao, and what fans can expect in the third fight between he and Pacman.

Erik, I´m not going to begin with asking you the same old questions that you´ve been asked over and over again since it was announced that you and Manny Pacquaio would have a third fight. What have you been doing to keep yourself busy these days?

I´ve been spending a lot quality time with my family as well as promoting.

Who are some of the fighters you have been promoting?

WBA bantamweight women's champion and WBC super bantamweight women's champion Jackie Nava, NABF bantamweight champion Alex Valdez and Alberto Rosas (24-0, 21 KOs) who is ranked fifth in the world by the WBC at flyweight.

I understand Jackie Nava won "Fighter of the Year" in Tijuana. First woman do ever do so. How did that make you feel as a manager?

That was a very proud moment for me. Jackie is a very hard worker and trains extremely hard. She deserved the award.

Do you feel that you have been pretty successful as a promoter?

In terms of getting my fighters the necessary publicity and fight opportunities it has been very successful and that is my goal. I´m not doing this for the money at all. I´m doing this for the love of the sport and helping my fellow countryman become successful.

You were recently honored in your hometown of Tijuana where you received a career recognition award. There was an amateur tournament held in your honor. How did receiving that award compare to other awards you received in your career?

The way the crowd applauded me and cheered my name and all the love I received from the many people that were present was unbelievable. There were many of the same people who were there supporting me from the very beginning. No award I´ve ever received was as gratifying as this one.

Let´s talk about your last fight with Pacquiao. People only remember the last round of that fight, but forget that you beat him unanimously in your first encounter and you were winning midway through the first half of the rematch. Why do you think that is?

That´s just how it is. The public expects big things from me and I have no problem giving that to them. After my loss to Marco Antonio Barrerra in our third fight, many people did not give me a chance in my next fight against Pacquiao but I proved the critics wrong.

Does it seem like expectations are higher for you than let's say, for example Marco Antonio Barrera, as far as opponent selection? Barrera, for instance, was able to fight Mzonke Fana on pay-per-view (a mandatory defense) but I´m thinking we wouldn´t see you doing a PPV fight like that. Also, is it unreasonable for people to equate your loss to Pacquiao with Barrera´s loss?

Again, the expectations for Erik Morales are very high and I don´t mind living up to those expectations. As far as the comparisons of my loss to Pacquiao and Barrera´s loss, I for one defeated Pacquiao unanimously the first time and was doing well early on in the fight that I lost. Barrera was never in the fight with Pacquiao. He was completely dominated.

Anything in closing you would like to tell all your fans out there?

I am not looking to fight any tuneup fights and am only waiting on Top Rank to give me an exact date on when Pacquiao and I will fight. I will be well prepared and fans can expect for this to be a very spectacular fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Erik Morales Q and A

morales should have a tune up fight...but maybe he doesn't want another raheem to happen...he just love fighting pac and puts all his focus fighting pac...he prolly can't bring him self to fight someone thats not named manny pacquiao...i think thats the reason why he doesn't want a tuneup fight...lets not expect pac to blow him away like some did after pac destroyed barrera...the third fight is gonna be gREat...

after theiR thiRd fight pac and morales is pRolly gonna have a dRink to it...i think its a awesome story about em and pac...take a kid from mexico and another from the phillipines they meet in america and show the woRld an awesome fight...living legends now...they got a lot of respect for eachother too...come september lets all enjoy seeing them fight it could be the last time they meet eachother in the ring...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm glad Morale is resting and having no tune-ups. And he's perfectly right, that he has expectations that are greater than Barrera. People don't know that yet, so it's good that he's telling them. (Take that, you psychotic Barrera fanatics!)

Morales is too old for tune-ups. He's a pro's pro. A veteran, a hall of famer.

It's good he's not going for the tune-up. Because what are tune-ups? Nothing more than confidence builders and learning experiences. Morales has all the knowlegde he needs to beat Pacquioa, it's just will his body listen? It's good his body is resting, while he's saving himself for one great fight.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

good read

i really think morales should come back with a few tune ups before jumping right back in there with pac....i think he could do with some fine tuning....no point jumping straight back in with the lions...

i expect morales to give a much improved performance next time out, but i cant help but feel that a tune up would make him all the more ready...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles
    good read

i really think morales should come back with a few tune ups before jumping right back in there with pac....i think he could do with some fine tuning....no point jumping straight back in with the lions...

i expect morales to give a much improved performance next time out, but i cant help but feel that a tune up would make him all the more ready...
    CC back mate. I thought it would be best for Morales to have tune ups but Gyrokai has good points,Morales knows how to beat Pac,he just has to be right physically. If he is,he can win,he was winning the second fight until his legs just went from the body shots. I also recommend he wear 8oz gloves,because he has hurt Pac a few times with the 10oz so 8oz would hurt more and I also think he should go to the body. He better do something different and he better bloody train hard, I don't want to see him steamrollered again!!!
    Gyrokia,dam straight,Morales has waaaaay higher expectations than MAB.I am a fan of both but I think EM fought much the better opposition ergo higher expectations.

Thread Information