Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Thoughts on Connor Benn

Quote Originally Posted by GaMo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    He doesn’t punch like his dad. He’s had nine fights at a very low level and has already been the distance twice. The stoppages he has scored have been TKO’s so he’s no puncher and if you took away his dads power what would really be left? He’s not one for the future.
    His dad had brutal power and maybe it is a good thing that Conor does not. It will allow him to develop his other skills and not rely on knockouts. At the highest level he will need those skills so maybe Conor acheives more than his dad did.
    I doubt it. He’ll be British and commonwealth champion but that’ll be his limit. I can’t see him winning the European title let alone a world title, I expect to see him taking a lot of punishment when he steps up.
    I think he will go further, with all due respect to Sam Eggington, if he can be European champion then Conor can too especially with sky backing him and his dad's name.
    He’s had nine fights at a really low level so it’s a bit early to be talking European honours. Let’s see him in a competitive fight.
    Agreed. @Master, you are KING of the over the top reactions !
    1. "maybe Conor acheives more than his dad did" no disrespect to the kid, but not a chance in hell. Even you don't think so because you're talking E curopean titles.
    2. "Conor can progress because of his Dad's name" This is real life mate, not Rocky. His name can open some doors at the start of his career, but as you progress, it's all down to being good enough. You still have to win the fights.
    I like Conor Benn. I think he's got good people around him, his Dad is correctly leaving it to those people to guide him with just the right amount of involvement. (Christopher "English" Livingstone take note.)
    He's been lucky to be on some great bills and the experience will do him good. He's improving, but just let him move at a steady pace. He doesn't need the "next big thing" pressure just yet.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    He doesn’t punch like his dad. He’s had nine fights at a very low level and has already been the distance twice. The stoppages he has scored have been TKO’s so he’s no puncher and if you took away his dads power what would really be left? He’s not one for the future.
    What would be left? A fucking massive heart and fearless desire. Don't underestimate that mate.
    People overrate Benn’s heart, the man quit twice against Collins (from what I remember) whereas his rival Eubank had far more heart going to war with Carl Thompson twice! People overlook the heart and chin of Chris to suck off Benn who got banged out by both Eubank and Watson in his prime. Benn was the Black Gatti.
    Of course it's a piece of piss getting hammered and literally knocked out of the ring in the first round by someone perceived as one of the World's most fearsome brutal fighters at the time, and coming back and literally fighting yourself to a standstill to beat him.
    It's obviously absolutely horrific what happened to McLellan , but that fight took a helluva lot out of Benn as well. He was never the same after that, and Collins just picked his moments against Benn and Eubank.
    I don't remember comparing his heart to Eubank's .Everybody knows Eubank had heart, but Benn definitely won the second fight between them!

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What would be left? A fucking massive heart and fearless desire. Don't underestimate that mate.
    People overrate Benn’s heart, the man quit twice against Collins (from what I remember) whereas his rival Eubank had far more heart going to war with Carl Thompson twice! People overlook the heart and chin of Chris to suck off Benn who got banged out by both Eubank and Watson in his prime. Benn was the Black Gatti.
    Benn beating GMan overides anything Eubank did
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eubank knocked out Benn and he also knocked out Watson (who also beat Benn) Benn’s win over the G-Man is impressive but he got away with a lot of rabbit punching and other fouls in that fight. It was an accidental head butt that appeared to start the trouble but I’m sure the punches to the back of his neck didn’t help.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Eubank knocked out Benn and he also knocked out Watson (who also beat Benn) Benn’s win over the G-Man is impressive but he got away with a lot of rabbit punching and other fouls in that fight. It was an accidental head butt that appeared to start the trouble but I’m sure the punches to the back of his neck didn’t help.
    This all started by you saying "without his power, Benn had little else." And because you're WRONG, you've deflected it into a Benn/Eubank debate and choosing to denigrate one of the finest victories of any British fighter versus an American.
    Whatever floats your boat kid.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well of course I’m going to compare him to his rivals to prove my point especially a man he fought twice and shared a number of common opponents with...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well of course I’m going to compare him to his rivals to prove my point especially a man he fought twice and shared a number of common opponents with...
    re your earlier comment how can you doubt Benn's heart

He was decked several times, or in trouble and came back to win - ever seen the Logan fight ?

Admittedly the Collins fights were a sad end to his career but he didn't have it any more, he shouldhave had one more easy one after the G-Man fight and said goodbye
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And he wouldn't have ducked anyone if the fight could be made

I always remember Eubank saying he wouldn't take the Jones fight if he couldn't see a way of winning
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Comparing Eubank will never prove that Benn did or didn't have heart. Nobody is disputing anything about Eubank , it's about Benn. All this quit bollocks, are you telling me every fighter who gets KO'd or stopped is a quitter, and has no heart? It's ridiculous.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whilst it's all a load of bollocks. By the man's own definition, Eubank quit in the Thompson fight.

If by your definition of quit you mean an old man who simply cant take any more, you're going to be adding a whole lot more names to your list, better fighters than Nigel Benn or Chris Eubank. See Manny Pacquiao's 'purple patch' in his career for about half a dozen for starters.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m not saying Benn didn’t have heart because he obviously did! I’m just saying he was no more brave than his rivals. People give Benn credit for having heart and being a warrior but he was no more (or less) brave than Eubank or Watson in my opinion.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I’m not saying Benn didn’t have heart because he obviously did! I’m just saying he was no more brave than his rivals. People give Benn credit for having heart and being a warrior but he was no more (or less) brave than Eubank or Watson in my opinion.
    That's a bit like saying Gerrald McClellan was no more of a puncher than Julian Jackson.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    That's a bit like saying Gerrald McClellan was no more of a puncher than Julian Jackson.

And he wasn’t

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And he wasn’t
    Over your head. As per

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And he wasn’t
    Over your head. As per
    You’re just repeating me. Both Benn and Eubank had heart (I have already said that) not sure why everything has to be spelt out more than once for you before you understand

Thread Information