Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What got you interested in boxing?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What got you interested in boxing?

For me it all started when I was about 10 years old and I'm 55 now... My dad boxed in the Army and we had a speed bag and a heavy bag and a big box full of old boxing gloves in our garage when I was a kid... First my dad taught me how to throw and block punches... Back in the 70's I used to spar w/ other kids in my neighbor hood w/ parent supervision most of the time... Then when I was in 7th & 8th grade I boxed amateur for PAL (Police Athletic League) w/ limited success... All the while my dad and I used to watch boxing on TV together during boxing's glory days and that's where I became a boxing fan for life... What made you a fan of our sport?

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What got you interested in boxing?

I never watched boxing but remember Ali v Holmes and Holmes v Cooney because they were huge mainstream type of fights in the UK.

I then watched McGuigan, Bruno, Herol Graham on BBC but it was Mike Tyson that really got me into boxing at a crazy fan level. Read the history of the sport, magazines and boxing tapes from 1986.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Id watched boxing for a while with my dad on tv but never really paid a lot of attention.

I remember watching Chris Eubank in the lead up to the Benn rematch then the fight itself and I found it hilarious how he would pose and show off but be hard as nails at the same time.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can remember watching a few Tyson fights when I was a real nipper but didn't have a clue about the sport, I just liked watching people hit each other

I can remember picking up an insane hatred for Price Naz through my dad, that was when I started to pick up a bit more interest and started to understand the sport a bit more (I remember that when he fought Barrera I stayed up and watched it because I knew he was going to get beat, I must have been about 15 or 16)

It wasn't long after that that Ricky Hatton got his debut on Sky Sports (when it was Friday Fight Night if I remember correctly) that was when I really got into my boxing, I didn't care who was fighting I would always watch it if I wasn't out on the piss.

Out of all of my mates I only managed to get one other one into boxing at around the time of the Hatton v Kostya Tszyu fight, he has stuck with the sport as well and still loves it, although I don't think he follows it quite as much these days he still knows what is going on

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Hatton fought on ITV before sky but am not sure.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think so, I could be wrong but I can remember them on Sky raving about him when he was still unknown, he was just this strange looking pale mancunian who ended up crippling people with body shots every other week

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His fourth pro fight was on Sky Sports, I doubnt if I'd have seen this one as I would only have been 13 at he time

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I don't think so, I could be wrong but I can remember them on Sky raving about him when he was still unknown, he was just this strange looking pale mancunian who ended up crippling people with body shots every other week
    He had a WBU Warren title and wanted more than just to defend that every other time and then jumped to sky to get the kostya fight I think.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he may have moved to ITV for a brief time but I can't really remember that, he was certainly on sky first though, especially if they televised his 4th pro fight

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    he may have moved to ITV for a brief time but I can't really remember that, he was certainly on sky first though, especially if they televised his 4th pro fight
    You could be right he could have been a sky fighter. He built a massive fan base and thought it was because of mainstream tv. Pretty amazing to do it that way.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My granddad was a boxer and had a few amatuer fights, i only met him a few times, and my dad was boxing for fun when he was younger, cause i didnt get to know my granddad when i was real young i thought i pick up boxing so we had atleast some connection or something to talk about when i would met him.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always thought Muhammad Ali was great, then I was a naughty child and got given a curfew for a long time. The only place I was allowed to be after 5pm was the boxing gym ..... so I joined in, loved it and ended up representing their amateur team. 55 fights and a 12 year amateur career means I loved the sport, and those who have the guts to step into the ring competitively, and still do
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Prince Naseem

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My granddad was into his boxing and used to look after me and my sisters pretty much every weekend. He always had the fights on and let me stay up to watch them with him. We always had a little playful spar with him on his knees holding a pillow for me to whack. i was a wee nipper and honestly cant remember what fights we watched but this was during early eighty's. A bit before Tyson, Eubank and Ben days.

That was when i knew what boxing was. Fast forward a few years a mate at my local pub got a load of us to buy tickets to see his work mate fight on the under card of Michael Brodie vs Fredric Bonifia at the Wythenshaw forum in Manchester Before his couple of fights with Injin Che. Ady Lewis was also on the card that night. I remember stood around with my watery pint in a plastic pint pot in the foyer chatting to random people and them mentioning Ricky hatton and how hes KOing guys left right and center and the one to watch. I really enjoyed the buzz that night and i think that's what got me really interested.

I Know Anthony Farnell and used to knock around with him on the park when we were younger. Not spoke to him for years though. I know Craig Watson and went to a couple of his amateur fights but again ive not seen him in a few years. I see Anthony Crolla from time to time and always say hello and sometimes ask his opinion on the next up and coming fight. There are many people i speak to who knows someone thats fighting. Been to plenty of white collar nights and charity doos but nowadays i prefer to watch the big fights on the box in the comfort of my own home with a beer.

Boxing has always been around in my social circle. Something to look forward to at the end of the week.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm half Cuban so boxing was HUGE on my mothers side of the family. My dad was really into boxing also, so we would have people over for all of the big fights. I never paid much attention because I would play w my friends/cousins, until I happened to be walking by the t.v. and saw the in ring preflight instructions/stare down for Hagler-Hearns. I was terrified/mesmerized and I don't think I blinked once during that whole fight. From that moment on (I was ten at the time) I was hooked.

Thread Information