Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Eubank/Benn vs Roy jones

During that era was there a time when they were all at the same weight and could they have fought each other or was Jones at 168?

Who would have lasted the longest against RJ?

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Eubank/Benn vs Roy jones

Benn and Eubank both moved up to super middle a couple of years before Roy did. I think they were both on the slide by the time Roy was at 168 and wouldn't have had a realistic shot. Eubanks would have likely gone 12 though, Benn very unlikely to imo.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anything can happen in a fight, and both Benn and Eubank were murderous punchers. Eubank was the more unorthodox, and Benn was the more aggressive. That being said, I see Roy winning the majority of the time, barring any crazy punch. Eubank likely lasts the distance due to his punch, chin, and unorthodox style, with Benn likely not lasting due to his aggression and stamina issues. As much as I would've loved to have seen Roy vs both, I would've preferred Mcallum and/or Toney vs both.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benn I think would.be stopped very early

Eubank I think could cause him serious issues and make it close... Even potentially pull something off... Although you have to.favour Roy

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jones would beat both on the same night, one after the other after a hard game of basketball.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You couldnt count either out litterally!

Jones would be up to his neck in it with both! I would favour Eubank to win but still wouldnt bet against Benn.

The yanks get over rated sometimes.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's possible I suppose that Eubank or Benn could win, but I reckon RJJ would beat them both fairly easily.
    And I think that sometimes it's the Brits that get over rated.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fighters from anywhere will be overrated by people who see some kind of vested interest in them.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

McClellan was someone who had beaten Jones inbthe ams and Jones openly stated he would pnt want to face him in the pros. Benn survived him and I think his aggreson and pressure could put Jones in a shell.

Eubank was just a hard awkward bastard that could hurt you at any point with a crazy overhand right.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    McClellan was someone who had beaten Jones inbthe ams and Jones openly stated he would pnt want to face him in the pros. Benn survived him and I think his aggreson and pressure could put Jones in a shell.

Eubank was just a hard awkward bastard that could hurt you at any point with a crazy overhand right.
    I thought they were friends, sharing a passion for torturing animals or whatever. Besides, that's the ams! The only opponent Roy and Benn shared in the pros was THua Malinga, how did those fights go? Eubank also openly stated Roy would have beaten him and he would've only fought him if it was his mandatory

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benn survived the G-Man so that means he can beat Jones. The G-Man beat Jones in the AMs is the proof. It's one of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen.

I don't mean to be rude but come the f on with that ignorance.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I give Benn a literals punchers chance vs any fighter who has stepped between the ropes. For as much the passion and some recklessness as the power. He wouldn't try to think, posture and work in between Roys reflex which was damn near impossible. Benn v Jones seemed close there for a minute or at least talked up but zero chance promotions would budge. Would have at least been explosive. Also seem to remember Roy hated airports and travel. at least until Jim Lampley stopped yelling.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

those who have been on this board for a while know that I'm one of Roy's biggest critics when it comes to his quality of opposition and historical ranking. That being said, Roy was special during his prime. Once in a lifetime special.

Eubank and Benn were great fighters, but they weren't once in a lifetime special. 168 lb Roy would feast on aggression. Guys would walk into his left hook or hybrid uppercut and that was the fight (Thomas Tate, Bryant Brannon, Merqui Sosa...etc.). Benn would come to destroy and walk right into something big.

Roy's toughest fights were always with boxers who had solid skills and defense. Think of his fights vs Hop, Montell, and even Eric Harding. Prime Roy would have issues with Eubanks combination of awkward style, speed, reflexes, counter punching ability, and power. That being said, Roy was special and would find a way to win the fight the majority of the time.

While Eubank and Benn were not as great as Roy, they were both legitimate one punch threats, and great fighters, so they definitely belonged in a ring with Roy and could have pulled the upset, if they landed the right punch.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Benn survived the G-Man so that means he can beat Jones. The G-Man beat Jones in the AMs is the proof. It's one of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen.

I don't mean to be rude but come the f on with that ignorance.
    Ross is "reaching" with his argument so much that he has fallen over and fell flat on his face.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nigel benn vs the G-man(hate spelling his surname!) is still the greatest fight I have ever witnessed in regards to nigel Benn and his warrior heart.

Jones would beat benn anytime and Eubanks in a decision but would have struggled with JC in his prime but still have pulled out the win.

Thread Information