Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default R.I.P Mike Towell

Mike passed away last night following a knockout defeat. Thoughts are with his family.
    R.I.P.rip.jpg
    Last edited by Dark Lord Al; 10-01-2016 at 05:43 PM.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

RIP Mike my condolences to his family and friends.

Mentioned
    944 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Apparently he had been suffering from migraines the last few weeks. Terrible tragedy, feel for the guy who fought him and of course for his family. Thoughts with them. R.I.P

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: R.I.P Mike Towell

Boxer Mike Towell dies after suffering severe bleeding to his brain in bout

The 25-year-old Scot suffered a fifth-round loss in Glasgow on Thursday but died in hospital despite ‘fighting to the end’

Scottish boxer Mike Towell has died in hospital despite “fighting to the end” after he was seriously injured in a bout.

The 25-year-old suffered a fifth-round loss to Dale Evans on Thursday night, in a fight at the Radisson Blu hotel in Glasgow and was taken to Queen Elizabeth university hospital.

Towell’s partner, Chloe Ross, said she was “absolutely heartbroken” to announce that the welterweight had died shortly after 11pm on Friday evening, 12 hours after he was taken off life support.

She said he “fought right to the end” after suffering severe bleeding and swelling to his brain during the fight which was an eliminator for the British welterweight title.

In a Facebook post on Friday she said Towell, who was from Dundee, had been complaining of migraines in the run-up to the fight but put it down to stress.

“I’m absolutely heartbroken to say my annoying best friend passed away tonight at 11.02 very peacefully,” she wrote.

“Michael had severe bleeding and swelling to his brain. He had been complaining of headaches for the last few weeks but we put it down to migraines with the stress of his fight.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ies-after-bout
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a tragedy it is that this has happened in what is effectively one of the biggest moments of his career. Feel for his partner, his family and of course for the man he was fighting too.

RIP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So sad RIP Mike thoughts are with your family and friends.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seriously should he have even been allowed to fight?
    Severe migranes and headaches for 2 weeks leading up to the fight.
    I mean a fighters head (or hitting it) is the main thing in boxing along with your fists so if it wasn't right why fucking stick him into a tough fight?
    Footy players are rested if they get an injury to any part of their legs ffs..!

Bad management around him and seems tragically unprofessional to me.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    I mean a fighters head (or hitting it) is the main thing in boxing along with your fists so if it wasn't right why fucking stick him into a tough fight?

It is a thought that I have had as well, but for me I suppose it does to some extent come down to the boxer themselves. If they are only going to tell their spouse, and not their trainer or manager, then it is difficult for those people to intercede on their behalf. Fighters that back out from bouts get a lot of stick, not just online, but in the areas where they were due to fight too. There is also the financial aspect of needing the money from the fight to support the family.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post

I understand your point but if boxers pulled out of fights because of a headache very few fights would actually happen.

With sparring and making weight its part of the life unfortunately.

RIP MIKE
    Balls

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There's a huge difference in a having a headache for a day or rwo or like this guy who had one for 2 weeks.
    I don't believe his team would not have known either.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

RIP to the warrior.

I wish there were more protocols in place, like possibly another mandatory checkup, let's say 3 days before the actual fight. If the fighter has any problems, then they should be pulled.

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We must remember Dale Evans must be feeling terrible.
    He will have to carry this burden for the rest of his life, thankful these tragic incerdents are few and far between.
    Boxing is the ultimate sport it's very unforgiving trained fighters top of there game, we admire there skills and courage it's times like this we get a reality check on how dangerous it can be.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Welsh boxer Dale Evans says he is "absolutely heartbroken" by the death of opponent Mike Towell.

Scot Towell, 25, died in hospital on Friday after being seriously injured in a fight with Evans the previous day.

He is the third professional boxer to die in the UK from fight-related injuries in the past 21 years.

"I feel like I am responsible," Evans, 24, told BBC Wales Sport. "I can't stop thinking about Mike and his poor family. All my thoughts are with them."

Towell was knocked down in the first round of the fight at Glasgow's Radisson Blu Hotel but recovered to continue.

Referee Victor Loughlin stopped the contest in the fifth round after Towell was knocked down for a second time.

He received treatment in the ring and was given oxygen before being taken to an ambulance on a stretcher.
    ◾In an emotional interview, Evans also said:
    ◾He has felt "dreadful" since the fight;
    ◾He has considered retiring from boxing;
    ◾He would now like to win the British title in Towell's memory.

"It has been awful," he said. "All I can think of is his two-year-old kid and his girlfriend and family who won't have him around any more.

"I feel like I am responsible because we are the ones punching each other - and this is something I have to live with now."

Evans, who is trained by former world title challenger Gary Lockett, was stablemates with former British middleweight champion Nick Blackwell.

Blackwell's career was ended earlier this year when he suffered a bleed on the skull after losing his title to Chris Eubank Jr.

Lockett said the aftermath of that fight was the "worst time in my life".

"It is not about us 'going through this again', he told BBC Wales.

"We are only thinking about the Towell family and Mike's loved ones. Since the second the fight finished, all our thoughts have been with Mike's family."

Evans, who has won 12 of his 17 bouts as a professional, says boxers understand the risks involved in entering the ring but rarely consider the potential consequences.

"You don't think about this happening," he said.

"With the medical team at ringside you feel safe and you never actually dream something like this will happen. It isn't something on your mind."

St Clears boxer Evans is now the mandatory challenger for the British title but says he has considered retiring from the sport he loves.

"I have been low and thinking that I would probably stop boxing now, but I think I will have a break and I will try to win the British title in Mike's memory.

"I feel like one of my own family has passed away."

Towell's partner, Chloe Ross, said he died "peacefully" shortly after 23:00 BST on Friday, 12 hours after he was taken off life support.

"Michael had severe bleeding and swelling to his brain," she wrote on Facebook.

"He had been complaining of headaches for the last few weeks but we put it down to migraines with the stress of his fight.

"It has been the longest 24 hours of our lives. My baby has lost his daddy. But he will be so so proud of his dad in what he achieved."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/37533919

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My thoughts were along the same lines as Smash. I appreciate that people enter the ring at less than 100% all the time. But there should be a distinction between a niggle, and persistent severe headaches that stop sparring, especially if that person then misses weight and has to strip more fluid off. Too many red flags going up. Of course hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Awful situation
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Thread Information