Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Kovalev/Ward aftermath..

What happens to each fighter if they win..let's say a rematch is not needed as the decision was quite clear..

Ward wins:- he could fight the winner of degale/jack and hang on for a fight with GGG? (Weight permitting)

Kovalev wins:- Perhaps get the rest of the belts at 175 and dominate the crusierweight divison?

What should each fighter do?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kovalev/Ward aftermath..

I think it's more interesting to know what will happen to each fighter if they lose

depending on the manner of the loss obviously
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd like to think that the winner would fight Stevenson and finally unify the division, but I doubt Stevenson wants any part of either guy!

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Ward loses then his recent career and lack of momentum will be to blame. Ward will have to rebuild but I think he could beat Stevenson.

Kov will aim to unify but he does have a rival compatriot that he could fight next.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Stevenson didn't even want any part of Pascal, I think he might have even lost that one. He's good don't get me wrong, but almost 40 and has really shown no interest in doing anything for the last couple of years. Beterbiev(who also fights out of Montreal) is more of a threat and more likely to fight the winner of KOv/Ward, although I don't know whether he was affected by his layoff and injury, or what's in the works for him.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Stevenson is very physically gifted and has talent, but he lacks the skill of a Kovalev who can punch but also think in the ring, and of course yes he's also old now. He knows he can't match skills with Kovalev, who will most likely knock him out, or Andre, who will most likely embarrass him.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is interesting because the winner will have limited options. If Kov wins , Stevenson will avoid him even more. who else is there? it's all well and good saying "go up to CW", but
    a. there's not much money in the division and
    b. People underestimate the fact that it is 25lbs north of LHW!
    If Ward wins , I doubt he gets back down to SMW, so he just has to wait for somebody to knock him off his perch!
    This all goes to show that for many reasons, this was the only fight out there for both of them and had to happen.
    there is only one possibility for either of them if they win to enhance their profile and make big money, and that is Beterbiev!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, I don't see why anyone would aspire to go to cruiser weight. It's like aspiring to move to Iowa.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward Wins - If its a "hug n slug" victory, he declares he's pound for pound champ of the universe... "We broke him down.. that's what i do with fighters, i take away their weapons..." then takes some soft wallet padding mandatories while trying to goad Kovalev into a 90/10 split while he gets a name from 168 to bloat up before retiring.. If he takes a drubbing and gets a robbery decision of some kind. He'll stall or be injured and drag it out and do the same. Really no difference here, he'll want money for as little trouble as possible and then want to retire.

If Kovalev wins by a KO, he rematches.. if he loses he rematches. Like he did with pascal.

Stevenson is never coming as he'd rather slink out the side door earning side money..and the once outside, scream through the window how everyone was afraid of him and he would have beat both.

Just my opinion.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    This is interesting because the winner will have limited options. If Kov wins , Stevenson will avoid him even more. who else is there? it's all well and good saying "go up to CW", but
    If Ward wins , I doubt he gets back down to SMW, so he just has to wait for somebody to knock him off his perch!
    This all goes to show that for many reasons, this was the only fight out there for both of them and had to happen.
    there is only one possibility for either of them if they win to enhance their profile and make big money, and that is Beterbiev!

I don't think Beterbiev represents much of a payday though? The winner could always go up to CW and beat Bellew

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

I don't think Beterbiev represents much of a payday though? The winner could always go up to CW and beat Bellew
    I know what you're saying about Beterbiev and the money , but they could hype that up. The man that beat Kov in the ams, the beast novice that ko'd Cloud. The new Drago!
    Bellew is an option because it would be an easy payday for both of them , but only if they want to come to the UK. I'm sure that's no problem for Kov, but Ward wants that money without crossing the street.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Perhaps, KOing Cloud isn't much of a selling point though. That guy was basically exposed, lost 4 straight and retired. Beterbiev looked like he was getting big momentum at that point but has just been treading along since, through no fault of his own I'm sure.

I've never seen this Gvozdyk guy who is fighting Chilemba on the undercard of Ward-Kova, if he's really good and makes a statement then that might make sense. Looking through the rankings, outside of him or Beterbiev there really isn't anyone who is in a position to be an interesting opponent for the winner, assuming Aducknis doesn't want to cash out with a real fight.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beterbiev looks like a real beast!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by vidgil View Post
    Yes, I don't see why anyone would aspire to go to cruiser weight. It's like aspiring to move to Iowa.
    Lol.

Mate, I don't live in America but I think the English alternative to Iowa would probably be slough or erith.

Depressing.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Perhaps, KOing Cloud isn't much of a selling point though. That guy was basically exposed, lost 4 straight and retired. Beterbiev looked like he was getting big momentum at that point but has just been treading along since, through no fault of his own I'm sure.

I've never seen this Gvozdyk guy who is fighting Chilemba on the undercard of Ward-Kova, if he's really good and makes a statement then that might make sense. Looking through the rankings, outside of him or Beterbiev there really isn't anyone who is in a position to be an interesting opponent for the winner, assuming Aducknis doesn't want to cash out with a real fight.
    You're right, and that goes back to the first sentence of my OP. There's not much out there for the winner . Of course people will say "he should do this" or " he should fight so and so" in reality it doesn't really work like that, it's never that easy.

Thread Information