Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Canelo vs Chavez Jr Official for May 6th

Canelo is gonna fight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr May 6th on HBO PPV at a 164.5 catch weight.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwalker View Post
    Canelo is gonna fight Julio Cesar Chavez Jr May 6th on HBO PPV at a 164.5 catch weight.
    Yeah but Canelo needs to gradually work his way up to MW! Smh

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo vs Chavez Jr Official for May 6th

Hope people boycott this crap. There are far too many catchweights and rubbish matches that no one wants to see. This is going to be a pure hype job.

Mexicans should not but this.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Hope people boycott this crap. There are far too many catchweights and rubbish matches that no one wants to see. This is going to be a pure hype job.

Mexicans should not buy this.

They will, Master. Canelo can do NO WRONG. This has been proven time and again, beyond the shadow of a doubt.

So basically this is a fight between:

1) A fighter who will resort to any means possible, legal or not, to make weight. Who has been suspended for the use of diuretics to help him make weight.

2) A fighter who ran from GGG at 160 because he's too small for that, but will willingly go up 5 pounds higher than that to fight JCC Jr.

One thing's for certain. JCC Jr. will enter the ring at 185 pounds, and Canelo will be somewhat lighter, but not by much.

If there's one fight where I wish they would both knock each other out, this is the fight.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This fight makes financial sense and and it makes sense for the whole Mexican vs Mexican fight, but it shows that Canelo and his team know that they will not beat GGG. They are just prolonging the inevitable to make more money.

No way this fight should be PPV, but a lot of Mexicans will order it.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also, Canelo claims this may be the biggest fight in Mexican history.

Makes sense. One fighter who was never very good and is now washed up vs a fighter who is good but not a top 10 p4p fighter. Bigger than Morales vs Barrera for sure.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm actually struggling to take Canelo remotely serious as a fighter. The king of bullshit catchweights and blatant ducks suddenly finds the weight no problem. "We don't fook around". My arse.

he's managed to unthinkable though. rooting for Chavez to come in unofficial cruiserweight..again..and put the power on.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Aside from the fight being bullshit for the reasons stated, I'm trying to decide whether I think Chavez actually has a shot and it could be interesting, I thought he looked ok in his last fight. Has anyone ever heard of a catchweight at something .5 ? That strikes me as just funny. The more I think about it Canelo is clearly a far better boxer and could make this a beatdown, but JR is at least quite tough and can punch enough, he might hit Canelo harder than anyone has so far, will probably be the first guy whose actually bigger in the ring also.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope those that rightfully judge Canelo harshly for this also apply the same standard to GGG who was will to go to 168 for Steiglitz, but not Ward, okay for Chavez, but not Ward, okay for Froch, but not Ward. The sport is filled with people all doing the same. Don't build one up and tear another down that did the exact same BS.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I hope those that rightfully judge Canelo harshly for this also apply the same standard to GGG who was will to go to 168 for Steiglitz, but not Ward, okay for Chavez, but not Ward, okay for Froch, but not Ward. The sport is filled with people all doing the same. Don't build one up and tear another down that did the exact same BS.
    GGG wasn't claiming to be the super middleweight champion then ducking ward.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

bollocks, was hoping canelo v saunders was going to happen next instead of this, if canelo beats saunders and gains a middleweight title belt that would definently(in my opinion) kickstart the momentum and clamour for golovkin v canelo which would be a worthy ppv fight and would be very good for boxing, canelo is just treading water now, khan was a silly fight, smith was fine due to the title on the line but now jumping up to 165.5 :S that's weird.. I think the window for a superfight between canelo and golovkin is pretty much closed now :S... in my opinion the best time would have been after canelo fought khan but the promoters have buggered that, I guess they will make a good bit of money from this and canelo v golovkin will happen but by the time it does not many will care that much S:...

this does sound like a stupidly fun fight though so i will probably buy it :S

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Suddenly Chavez Jr finds himself the hero for once.At least in my book.Weigh 185 lbs n smash red headed fuck!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I'm actually struggling to take Canelo remotely serious as a fighter. The king of bullshit catchweights and blatant ducks suddenly finds the weight no problem. "We don't fook around". My arse.

he's managed to unthinkable though. rooting for Chavez to come in unofficial cruiserweight..again..and put the power on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Suddenly Chavez Jr finds himself the hero for once.At least in my book.Weigh 185 lbs n smash red headed fuck!

Agree with both of these. If forced to pick between the two, at least for this fight, I'll pick Junior. Junior's pretty much irrelevant by now, and it's been well established that the only way he wins is by outweighing his opponent by 20+ pounds at fight night. Canelo meanwhile, still lives in fantasy world and has the unmitigated gall to claim this will be the "biggest fight in Mexican history", blatantly ignoring the true Mexican battles like Barrera-Morales, mentioned earlier. He'll bloat the PPV numbers, no doubt... but I hope Junior punishes him severely.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My main problem is that people hold Canelo in high regard. I admit that he is a good fighter, but I'm not convinced that he is the best at 154 or 160. I think Andrade beats him and I think the Charlos both can also. He beat Lara in a close fight already but I'm not convinced he would win a rematch. He has some good fights at 154 but then decided to fight Chavez at 165.345 or whatever it is.

Also, there were talks of him fighting lemieux, but since Chavez talked a lot, they decided to fight him instead. Canelo needs to fight an actual top 10 middleweight. And the thing is that there aren't really many threats. Jacobs, maybe lemieux and that's really all other than GGG.

But instead of fighting an actual middleweight, he fights khan. And he also fought that brit (whatever his name is) at 154. He was supposed to become one of the Mexican greats, but has turned into a good fighter that will end up in the third tier of Mexican great fighters.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

15 ponds is quite a lot to take, but I think that Canelo will still smash Chavez jr who's correct at best. It'll be a pretty solid paycheck for both guy BUT if it's true that Canelo intends to fight GGG in september, the weight taken might play a toll on his performance against the human wrecking ball. And we all know that GGG is more than a threat for the mexican superstar.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Thread Information