Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: David Price..be Positive.

yeah its a mental issue it looks like

if he is gonna continue I think he needs a trainer who is always calm and relaxed

and obviously gives good simple tactical advice

but what do I know
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by oakleyno1 View Post
    Gasses out - but i'm sure they've worked on his fitness, so I can only think it's his mental state wearing him out
    Like Bruno he seems mentally fragile and dramatically tire in the fight. Price also should have held on more when hurt and survived to beat Hammer.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Price's best bet is to hope Hammer fails a drug test.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Always annoying when sites forgo basic editorial tasks in the name of getting some content out there quickly.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Listening to people blame his weight/Dave Coldwell is nonsense, to me. He fought/reacted no different on Saturday to how he has in the past when a stone and half lighter. There's a difference between being chinny and terrified of being hit to the point of not being able to handle any pressure/adversity. He physically drains so quick because he's shitting himself.

Unfortunately for him the game is up.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He might have been better off if Thompson and Teper had been clean. Them being filthy drug cheats kinda wiped the slate clean for him and possibly removed the need for him to have a good look in the mirror and face up to his shortcomings.

Price was bordering on cocky about it. They cheated, doesnt count, didnt happen. I killed Joshua in sparring.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Perhaps he might have comfort and perform better with the headguard on during sparring.

Perhaps they might make a special exception and let him wear the head guard in his next pro fight.

Kidding aside, let him have another run..get down to 17-18< stone and see what happens after 3-4 tune up fights...again.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I feel sorry for David Price, who comes across as a thoroughly decent bloke. I also respect anybody who has the guts to actually step in the ring.

He was a very good amateur, and his height and technique was well suited to the shorter format. He could definitely punch, he was well schooled and he had those great height and reach advantages.

However, even when he was still an amateur, those in the know had questions about his chin and his stamina.

After the obligatory blow outs against incompetent journeymen, the hype machine began working overtime. He has being compared favourably with the similarly sized Tyson Fury at the time .... but Fury is a fighter through and through and I never got the impression that Price was, deep down, a fighter at heart. Softly spoken, introspective and quite self deprecating - I was not convinced he was a man confident in his abilities.

With his losses, we have seen exactly the same pattern. A bright start, then a shocking collapse. Price is a very very big man, and his weight against Hammer was ridiculous! I don't join in the criticism of his corner, someone with elite level pretensions should have coped easily with the game but limited Hammer.

A man lacking confidence in his durability will always fight 'tense', and this stress is hugely debilitating and tiring. I think that, as well as lacking stamina generally, this psychological tension has just led to all the strength draining out of the guy by the fifth round. He was so exhausted he literally couldn't hold his hands up.

There is no doubting the man's courage, and - actually - Price has had a career he should be proud of. Boxing is hard, and very very few people make it a success. How many of the keyboard warriors on here have accomplished a fraction of what David Price has?

He could very easily continue his career at domestic level. There are many worse heavyweights than him plying a trade up and down the UK. But I do think his faults are too deep seated to correct quickly and in the glare of the public.

my worries aren't about his career. Any fighter who is huge and heavy, and who has courage .... but who literally cannot defend himself when tired is going to risk their long term health.

Nobody wants to see this fundamentally decent man irreparably harmed, or to join the long long list of people broken by the sport.
    Last edited by X; 02-07-2017 at 01:32 AM.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post
    He might have been better off if Thompson and Teper had been clean. Them being filthy drug cheats kinda wiped the slate clean for him and possibly removed the need for him to have a good look in the mirror and face up to his shortcomings.

Price was bordering on cocky about it. They cheated, doesnt count, didnt happen. I killed Joshua in sparring.
    Thompson was taking a diuretic, which I understand is cheating but i'm not sure the advantage it would give him, the result should have been overturned, i'm not sure it would have been any different

Teper was taking peds, im sure I heard steve bunce say it was one of the worst failures, which I took to mean he had a lot more PEDs in his system than the vast majority who fail drugs tests, a clear drugs cheat, I would argue that that result could well have been very different
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

El Kabong Guest

If ever somebody needed Manny Steward it's David Price....poor fella.

Here's the deal with Price, he's the heavyweight version of Randall Bailey he's got dodgy stamina and a crap chin but one hell of a punch. Problem is everyone knows what is coming with Price and if they can withstand it then they can win.

David Price has fallen in love with his power and he cannot fathom anyone being able to walk through that he needs to focus not on knocking guys out, but on touching them up, just touch touch touch touch and don't put every ounce of energy behind every single punch, chop a guy down by scoring punches on him, not by 1 gigantic photo op shot, those typically come from hard work and landing numerous punches and moving the feet! Marciano's KO of Walcott came that way for instance.

David Price could still be a big player for a little bit in the British scene, but I doubt he ever gets a world title shot unless he goes on a massive run.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis View Post

Thompson was taking a diuretic, which I understand is cheating but i'm not sure the advantage it would give him, the result should have been overturned, i'm not sure it would have been any different

Teper was taking peds, im sure I heard steve bunce say it was one of the worst failures, which I took to mean he had a lot more PEDs in his system than the vast majority who fail drugs tests, a clear drugs cheat, I would argue that that result could well have been very different
    Teper was taking everything he could get his hands on, anything he couldnt take himself he was selling. He at least was committed to his cheating.

Thompson was taking a known masking agent. He says it was for a heart condition but refused/couldnt be bothered to provide any proof.

Its immaterial to be honest. Whether they had a physical edge because of it or not, Price's demeanor for me was one of absolution. He hadnt done anything wrong, it was them cunt cheats. Whilst he's not wrong, there were clearly issues that needed addressing on his part and I think them failing tests and him in a way being given a free pass (getting his ranking back) might have just masked over the situation a bit.

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Price who lost to Hammer looked light-years more lumbering than the one who got KO'ed by Teper. Don't know if it was the extra weight or what. But against Hammer, David's left looked totally useless and inviting for right hand shots. He holds it too low, and waves it around with no purpose whatsoever. He also gassed horribly. Would've been interesting to see what would've happened had the knockdown of Hammer occurred earlier in the round. Obviously, he gets crushed by either Wilder or AJ.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    The Price who lost to Hammer looked light-years more lumbering than the one who got KO'ed by Teper. Don't know if it was the extra weight or what. But against Hammer, David's left looked totally useless and inviting for right hand shots. He holds it too low, and waves it around with no purpose whatsoever. He also gassed horribly. Would've been interesting to see what would've happened had the knockdown of Hammer occurred earlier in the round. Obviously, he gets crushed by either Wilder or AJ.
    This was why AJ opted for someone other than Price because he wanted someone durable who would go some rounds with him.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    I feel sorry for David Price, who comes across as a thoroughly decent bloke. I also respect anybody who has the guts to actually step in the ring.

He was a very good amateur, and his height and technique was well suited to the shorter format. He could definitely punch, he was well schooled and he had those great height and reach advantages.

However, even when he was still an amateur, those in the know had questions about his chin and his stamina.

After the obligatory blow outs against incompetent journeymen, the hype machine began working overtime. He has being compared favourably with the similarly sized Tyson Fury at the time .... but Fury is a fighter through and through and I never got the impression that Price was, deep down, a fighter at heart. Softly spoken, introspective and quite self deprecating - I was not convinced he was a man confident in his abilities.

With his losses, we have seen exactly the same pattern. A bright start, then a shocking collapse. Price is a very very big man, and his weight against Hammer was ridiculous! I don't join in the criticism of his corner, someone with elite level pretensions should have coped easily with the game but limited Hammer.

A man lacking confidence in his durability will always fight 'tense', and this stress is hugely debilitating and tiring. I think that, as well as lacking stamina generally, this psychological tension has just led to all the strength draining out of the guy by the fifth round. He was so exhausted he literally couldn't hold his hands up.

There is no doubting the man's courage, and - actually - Price has had a career he should be proud of. Boxing is hard, and very very few people make it a success. How many of the keyboard warriors on here have accomplished a fraction of what David Price has?

He could very easily continue his career at domestic level. There are many worse heavyweights than him plying a trade up and down the UK. But I do think his faults are too deep seated to correct quickly and in the glare of the public.

my worries aren't about his career. Any fighter who is huge and heavy, and who has courage .... but who literally cannot defend himself when tired is going to risk their long term health.

Nobody wants to see this fundamentally decent man irreparably harmed, or to join the long long list of people broken by the sport.
    Thank you for one of the most thoughtful and humane posts I have read in quite a long time. You nailed it. Great stuff.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Thread Information