Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gavin McDonnell-Rey Vargas WBC SuperBantam title/Campbell/Coyle - Sat/SKY/8pm

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Gavin McDonnell-Rey Vargas WBC SuperBantam title/Campbell/Coyle - Sat/SKY/8pm

McDonnell (16-0-2/4 KO's) fights like his "world" champion twin brother Jamie, except he's not as good, he doesn't look as sharp or natural. Being a beanpole superbantam obviously has its advantages if you can use them - height, reach and distance, which he's proved to do well at British/Euro level. He has a good engine and takes a decent clump but can't crack an egg. So if he wins, he wins on PTS.

Vargas (28-0/22 KO’s) was flagged up at the start of the year as one to watch in Boxing Monthly, so is obviously not a road sweeper. And to bolster the young (26) Mexican's credentials he's trained by Nacho Beristain (who, back in the day, shrewdly saved the great Juan Manuel Marquez from getting spectacularly knocked unconcious by Naz. Whoomp there it is!). Vargas record suggests he's heavy handed, obviously, but most interesting is his height/size, he makes McDonnell look like Warwick Davis. The reports about his size are way out (Boxrec has him at 5'7).

Vargas fights in quick bursts, chucking vicious combo's to body and head, especially to the body. McDonnell doesn't have much going for him physically, he needs his volume and pace to nick rounds as well as the paranoid Mexican - he's been moaning and groaning about getting shafted - folding due to the weather/travel/crowd/gaff/tea.

Vargas KO - 6/5

Also on the card - Luke Campbell has a gimme, Tommy Coyle-Rakeem Noble (8/1 pts Noble) could be interesting, and top prospect Ryan Burnett gets a leg stretcher.
    Last edited by Fenster; 02-25-2017 at 05:56 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gavin McDonnell-Rey Vargas WBC SuperBantam title/Campbell/Coyle - Sat/SKY/8pm

Vargas wins a clear decision in this one.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Gavin McDonnell-Rey Vargas WBC SuperBantam title/Campbell/Coyle - Sat/SKY/8pm

Will watch this tonight,hope Gavin can do it like his bro.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Watching the early undercard fights on sky sports facebook (yes, i'm that much of a nerd)

Get this - William Warburton (23-107-9/3 KOs), yeah that's correct 107 losses, comes out at the bell of the 2nd round and launches a haymaker of a right hand that irons out his 7-0-2 prospect opponent Connor Seymour. Boxing. Completely nuts.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just put it on, didn't realize that there was any boxing on tonight.

I'm just heating up my curried goat that I cooked earlier and then I'm gunna sit down and watch this with a couple of cans of stella.

Boxing has just saved my Saturday night yet again.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rakeem Noble just ringwalked to Living Colour's - cult of personality. Respect.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both looked great at the weigh in. This could be a blinder!

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Noble won the first round

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thought Noble could give Cotle problems with his range. Although his head will land in the third row if he keeps it dangling after every combo

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Noble is calm and measured, Coyle is throwing wild right hands and some land so Noble needs to be careful.

Noble was hurt at the end!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Coyle just went Gatti on him and that was that. Noble do well to get out this round (3rd)

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tommy stops him in the 3rd round with a big right hand.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

shame that didn't go any longer, I was hoping for a good tear up there.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

On a side note to the boxing I just thought I'd let you all know that my curried goat was fucking amazing, I've got that absolutely nailed.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    On a side note to the boxing I just thought I'd let you all know that my curried goat was fucking amazing, I've got that absolutely nailed.
    As long as you do not drink that is all that matters.

Luke Campbell on next against a Mexican fighter.

Thread Information