Thread: How good was Antonio Margarito?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How good was Antonio Margarito?

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    the list does go on

but non will get the same abuse as margarita gets

I could start a thread about holyfield and his cheating wouldn't get mentioned through pages and pages of replies

start a thread about margarita and if it isn't mentioned in the opening post then it will only a couple of replies in
    Then we get the debate which is worse armed or induced with intent?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think you can split them

but does it even matter

both are endangering the life of the opponent more than that is natural
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think you can split them

but does it even matter

both are endangering the life of the opponent more than that is natural
    One carries a prison sentence the other does not yet.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Margarito is still fighting even with that busted eye.

He had an interesting rivalry with Santos and was the avoided fighters for some time.

His fight with Williams was very underrated and he came on strong at the end.

He significantly hurt Cotto's career with the beating he gave him and just shows you what a great fighter Cotto is from coming back from that loss.

I really enjoyed margarita's fight against Manny Pac that was where I think his eye was badly damaged and he took a beating.

Cotto's revenge was good to watch too.

Don't forget the devastating KTFO loss to Shane Mosley where, to add insult to injury, his cheating ways were discovered.... one of the highlights of my boxing watching career.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Margarito is still fighting even with that busted eye.

He had an interesting rivalry with Santos and was the avoided fighters for some time.

His fight with Williams was very underrated and he came on strong at the end.

He significantly hurt Cotto's career with the beating he gave him and just shows you what a great fighter Cotto is from coming back from that loss.

I really enjoyed margarita's fight against Manny Pac that was where I think his eye was badly damaged and he took a beating.

Cotto's revenge was good to watch too.

Don't forget the devastating KTFO loss to Shane Mosley where, to add insult to injury, his cheating ways were discovered.... one of the highlights of my boxing watching career.
    Just as Margarito will want to forget that so do I. It was shocking but that was not the real fighter but the one with a guilty conscious who knew he was going to be banned and ridiculed for the rest of his life.

He should have gone to prison for getting caught.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A whole host of the worlds most famous trainers said you wouldn't necessarily be aware of how they prepare or wrap hands, they could all cheat if they wanted without the fighter knowing.

There's no evidence he ever fought a single fight with loaded gloves. Just saying....
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    A whole host of the worlds most famous trainers said you wouldn't necessarily be aware of how they prepare or wrap hands, they could all cheat if they wanted without the fighter knowing.

There's no evidence he ever fought a single fight with loaded gloves. Just saying....
    If a boxer knew he would get banned/imprisoned they would soon make sure they knew if their gloves were loaded.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

I've heard this before and my first thought is either the trainers are protecting their fighters, or they consider the fighters to be oblivious to a moronic extreme. One of the more infamous cases of illegal gloves, Luis Resto, said he was aware of "Panama" Lewis' tampering with his gloves, not only on that fateful occasion, but a couple of other times before. It's hard for me to imagine a fighter is totally unconscious to what is going on with his hands in preparation for a fight. We'll never know for sure whether Margarito knew of the plaster-like stuff being put in his gloves... but taking everything into consideration I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he did.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would have preferred Floyd to have fought him than Baldimor when they had the opportunity but recognise that Arum was the reason why it did not happen.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the list does go on

I could start a thread about holyfield and his cheating wouldn't get mentioned through pages and pages of replies

start a thread about margarita and if it isn't mentioned in the opening post then it will only a couple of replies in
    I think the main difference is that Evander was never charged or disciplined for steroid use. People speculate that Evander used steroids because of his build and the "Evan Field" entry at BALCO, but his steroid use is still only alleged. Margarito was caught with plaster of Paris in his gloves by Brother Naz. No disputing that one.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't be surprised if Margarito knew either, however, unless the fans are handwrap experts, they actually have experience in wrapping and can prove/discredit what the worlds best trainers say, the views of people in the know need to be considered (especially from a neutral with an open-mind - me).

Therefore, not only is it impossible to prove Margarito ever cheated (without a confession) but it's also not gospel whether or not he was ever aware.

As was made abundantly clear in the "Tito loaded gloves" thread. An objection to the way his hands were wrapped - which were perfectly legal for just about everywhere apart from this particular commission - means he's a full blown loaded gloves cheater and his entire career is suspect. Laughable.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    the list does go on

I think the main difference is that Evander was never charged or disciplined for steroid use. People speculate that Evander used steroids because of his build and the "Evan Field" entry at BALCO, but his steroid use is still only alleged. Margarito was caught with plaster of Paris in his gloves by Brother Naz. No disputing that one.
    ok, its unfair to use Holyfield as an example, swap Mosleys name in there
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We've got a bit sidetracked with the gloves issue here, methinks.

He turned pro at 15, as many impoverished Mexican greats do, and came up through the brutal brutal Mexican domestic lower weights.

A three time Welterweight 'world' champion, he was gigantic at the weight - but very physically strong. He had a solid, simple technique that allowed him to get over a customary slow start to bully and break down his opponents. He had an absolute cast iron chin, and often seemed to break his opponents hearts on route to brutalising them. He had a massive workrate once the first couple of rounds were over, I think he threw a record 1600 punches against Joshua Clottey over 12 rounds!

For a few years, he was undoubtedly the most avoided welterweight on the planet.

The gloves thing, and the fact that he looks like a movie stereotype cartel hitman resulted in him playing the 'baddie' for most of his fights, especially later on.

When he went up the weights later on, he couldn't carry his power up and he wasn't faster than th bigger guys. He was prone to getting outpointed and - even if you hate him - you have to admire his will and chin.

Last edited by X; 03-11-2017 at 08:01 AM.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the list does go on

Holyfeild was never caught or held in court and found guilty of anything though or suspended of anything. I mean in his 26 year pro career he was never caught might as well list every boxer a cheater in the list.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A prime Margo was a classic stalk, stun, and kill fighter. One he had his man hurt, he would close like a Tiger on a lamb.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Thread Information