Thread: How good was Antonio Margarito?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How good was Antonio Margarito?

I think a fight against Alfredo Angulo would be fun to watch for shits and giggles. I could imagine them forehead to forehead trading in the middle of the ring non stop

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by KickMuck View Post
    I think a fight against Alfredo Angulo would be fun to watch for shits and giggles. I could imagine them forehead to forehead trading in the middle of the ring non stop

Sadist

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    We've got a bit sidetracked with the gloves issue here, methinks.

He turned pro at 15, as many impoverished Mexican greats do, and came up through the brutal brutal Mexican domestic lower weights.

A three time Welterweight 'world' champion, he was gigantic at the weight - but very physically strong. He had a solid, simple technique that allowed him to get over a customary slow start to bully and break down his opponents. He had an absolute cast iron chin, and often seemed to break his opponents hearts on route to brutalising them. He had a massive workrate once the first couple of rounds were over, I think he threw a record 1600 punches against Joshua Clottey over 12 rounds!

For a few years, he was undoubtedly the most avoided welterweight on the planet.

The gloves thing, and the fact that he looks like a movie stereotype cartel hitman resulted in him playing the 'baddie' for most of his fights, especially later on.

When he went up the weights later on, he couldn't carry his power up and he wasn't faster than th bigger guys. He was prone to getting outpointed and - even if you hate him - you have to admire his will and chin.

Good post. I saw and 18 year-old Margarito take a liver shot from Alfred Ankamah that dropped him. It was a great shot from a very good puncher but Margarito got up and stopped Ankamah. Very tough man.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First, there is more than the name Evan Fields in the Balco investigation. There was proof of delivery of packages to Evan Fields at Evanders address. Anyone arguing he is innocent or we don't know is ignoring evidence. Concrete evidence.

Next, Margarito, the cheating POS that he was had a lot going for him. He was fighting guys much smaller than him. As he moved up and fought guys his size he was mediocre. But with a size advantage he was pretty damned good as long as he had his plaster. Unfortunately for him he had some of the worst feet ever. Just awful. That's why as Master begrudgingly admitted Arum kept the 2 apart while faking he wanted that fight to build Antonios name. In Dan Rafaels archives you can find concrete evidence Bob put the kibosh on that fight.

Major props to Master for telling the truth about that. Many ignore the evidence on that to fit their agenda.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    First, there is more than the name Evan Fields in the Balco investigation. There was proof of delivery of packages to Evan Fields at Evanders address. Anyone arguing he is innocent or we don't know is ignoring evidence. Concrete evidence.

Next, Margarito, the cheating POS that he was had a lot going for him. He was fighting guys much smaller than him. As he moved up and fought guys his size he was mediocre. But with a size advantage he was pretty damned good as long as he had his plaster. Unfortunately for him he had some of the worst feet ever. Just awful. That's why as Master begrudgingly admitted Arum kept the 2 apart while faking he wanted that fight to build Antonios name. In Dan Rafaels archives you can find concrete evidence Bob put the kibosh on that fight.

Major props to Master for telling the truth about that. Many ignore the evidence on that to fit their agenda.
    For those reasons Floyd would have boxed the ears off Magarito.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never regarded margatito as anything but a pretty good welterweight. He didn't have any great wins. He came forward and punched. He was slow and had horrible footwork. He had a rock solid chin and a good punch (plaster?).

I was never a fan of his and never understood why people rated him so highly.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    the list does go on

but non will get the same abuse as margarita gets

I could start a thread about holyfield and his cheating wouldn't get mentioned through pages and pages of replies

start a thread about margarita and if it isn't mentioned in the opening post then it will only a couple of replies in
    Holyfeild was never caught or held in court and found guilty of anything though or suspended of anything. I mean in his 26 year pro career he was never caught might as well list every boxer a cheater in the list.
    ok, its unfair to use Holyfield as an example, swap Mosleys name in there
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought margarita was very entertaining

brilliant walk them down style and a solid chin

cotto margarita 1 is my favourite fight that didn't involve a brit
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

He was never caught pissing hot and was never in court and found guilty plain and simple. A man having a 26 year career and never failing i would say he was playing on same field as anyone else so i do not think he is cheater.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As far as how good he was i really do not know he had a rock hard chin and stamina which was very telling trait. Pac and Mosley pretty much ruin that guy though they put a lot of leather on that dudes face took year off Margarito.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He became a champion in a sport where probably only like 3% of the people who practice it globally end up making a good living out of it. That tells you everything to be honest. His achievements are respected outside of that whole mess he got into with the handwrap situation.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KickMuck View Post

Sadist
    Add Kirkland to the mix, maybe Kamegai, possibly a Bundrage, and we got a nice like tournament.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Antonio "Tony" Margarito Montiel is a Mexican professional boxer. He is a three-time former welterweight world champion, having held the WBO title from 2002 to 2007; the IBF title in 2008;

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Boxing24 View Post
    Antonio "Tony" Margarito Montiel is a Mexican professional boxer. He is a three-time former welterweight world champion, having held the WBO title from 2002 to 2007; the IBF title in 2008;
    Are you trying to build up your post count to get to the hidden threads or are you PK in disguise?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information