Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Team Sport World Cups

With the World Baseball Classic going hot and heavy, I got to thinking about all the other team sports that have World Cups, or whatever other name they choose to give them. The WBC (no.... not THAT one) is fairly new (2006), but it's gaining momentum quite fast, and can already stand up there with the big boys in terms of global interest (though not on Saddo's ), global participation, and prestige. This is the way I rank them personally:

1. FIFA World Cup
    2. World Baseball Classic
    3. FIBA Basketball World Cup
    4. Rugby World Cup
    5. Cricket World Cup

Don't know whether I've left out any team sports, but this is how I rank them.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Team Sport World Cups

Ice Hockey?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I stand corrected. Here's my updated rankings:

1. FIFA World Cup
    3. FIBA Basketball World Cup
    4. Rugby World Cup
    5. Cricket World Cup
    6. Ice Hockey World Cup (they lose ranking by being an annual tournament)

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

After what I've seen from this version of the Baseball Classic..........

1. FIFA World Cup

(way below the WBC).. FIBA World Cup
    ................................. Rugby World Cup
    ................................. Cricket World Cup
    ................................. Ice Hockey World Cup

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kabaddi?

Last edited by Master; 03-19-2017 at 06:38 AM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Somewhere in the Ice Hockey neighborhood.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just don't think as entertaining as it may be that baseball is not really watched or played much in Europe. Surprised the rest of the world didn't chip in on the thread though. Basketball is played quite widely across the UK and Europe but very rarely televised. Football, Rugby,Cricket are huge though and Hockey on grass and ice is very widely played and quite well supported though hardly ever televised.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    Just don't think as entertaining as it may be that baseball is not really watched or played much in Europe. Surprised the rest of the world didn't chip in on the thread though. Basketball is played quite widely across the UK and Europe but very rarely televised. Football, Rugby,Cricket are huge though and Hockey on grass and ice is very widely played and quite well supported though hardly ever televised.

Just like the Olympics are a global competition, but mostly individual in nature (with some team sports sprinkled in)... these team sport World Cups are also a global competition... and this is the type of competition that gets people's patriotic juices flowing, sort to speak. As much as we sometimes try to understate or even belittle the appeal of global competitions, the fact is many people enjoy them, even if outwardly they deny it.

Baseball, being the comparative youngster among global competitions, is still growing at the global stage, and could very well surpass the appeal and excitement of every other team sport World Cup, sans soccer of course, which will always reign. The "not watched" part in Europe very well may be... but you'd be surprised at how much it is evidently played in some European countries you'd never think play baseball. Basketball, which despite it's fast pace is not my favorite sport by any stretch, is a lot easier to play just by the nature of the equipment/ venue needed. All you need is a basketball and a hoop somewhere... and you've got yourself a pickup game. This of course means basketball will always trump baseball as far as the number of countries participating in their World Cup... but for the sheer drama give me the Baseball Classic any time.

The divide across the pond makes it so that as you say... rugby and cricket are huge over there, just like baseball and basketball are huge over here. But again comparing World Cups, I'd dare say baseball is played across a more diverse (and growing) expanse than either cricket or rugby. Go to the baseball qualifiers and you'll find even the UK has a team, alas... they were eliminated by Israel this time around, I think.

Admittedly, I have the same bias you have, except from this side. First of all, I'm more exposed to the baseball/ basketball scene. But also, having a global powerhouse in baseball like Puerto Rico only stokes that fire.

I'm having a hell of a time watching this baseball classic... and the semifinal matchups in Los Angeles this week feature teams that alone speak well of the Classic. The U.S., which of course is where baseball was born.... Japan, a recognized baseball powerhouse which consistently churns out great teams and players.... Netherlands, a surprising newcomer and Europe's representation in the Classic.... and of course Puerto Rico, which for being a 35 x 100 (mile) island with a tiny population has always had a proud baseball tradition, and is the Caribbean's representation to the Classic.

I'm hoping for a U.S. vs. Puerto Rico final, if only because interest in the States will certainly get ratcheted up a few notches. It's not the fans. They have been filling the parks (Miami, San Diego) to capacity. But annoyingly, the networks such as ESPN still cater more to the professional league (Major League Baseball) and their own selfish interests. That is changing quite rapidly, though, as the U.S. players on the national team are being very expressive about the pride they feel in representing their country in the Baseball Classic.

Thread Information