Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  55
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who won? GGG or Jacobs?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you think won? GGG or Jacobs?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who do you think won? GGG or Jacobs?

I thought Jacobs did more than enough to overcome the KD which was a bit iffy anyway. GGG had his moments, but I saw Jacobs outboxing a GGG who increasingly looked like Provodnikov out there. Who do you have winning the fight?

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who do you think won? GGG or Jacobs?

I thought Jacobs did enough but can see it the other way no problem. When a guy is roundly expected to get blown away there's a danger of giving them extra credit for simply avoiding that fate. Please lets not cry robbery.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's what some think though. That GGG/Canelo is too big to let a just decision happen. That's why I am curious about who people thought won the fight. If most people end up thinking Jacobs won, then there is arguably a case to be made that boxing is up to its old tricks. The early view on here is that people thought GGG looked a bit off and that Jacobs excelled.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ive said ALL ALONG ggg is *************SHIT**************

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very close, but GGG scored the knockdown and clearly won the 12th in a close fight, those two things should usually win you the fight. Factor in that GGG outlanded Jacobs by over 100 punches or so and he deserved the nod. Great effort and gameplan by Jacobs. Lapses in consistency prevented the upset.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good fight. Could've gone either way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I usually try to stay away from this "who do think won" questions due to the fact that most people are influenced by other factors in this type of sport.

But GGG...

Was fighting a man that was much bigger than him on fight night.
    (Weight and size advantages have impact at the highest levels of the sport. It's possible for an average skilled fighter to beat a very good skilled fighter based on weight and size alone. Think about that and let it sink for a minute)
    Out-landed the other fighter. (It's a sport measured by punches after all)
    Got a knock down. (Knockdowns and making your opponent retreat is part of controlling the frame)
    Made the other guy fight his fight. (This is what controlling the frame is all about)

I can see how you can give the fight to Jacobs though. We all see things through different glasses. I favor certain things when watching fights and you probably do too.
    Last edited by wanderingfighter; 03-19-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingfighter View Post
    I usually try to stay away from this "who do think won" questions due to the fact that most people are influenced by other factors in this type of sport.

But GGG...

(Weight and size advantages have impact at the highest levels of the sport. It's possible for an average skilled fighter to be beat a very good skilled fighter based on weight and size alone. Think about that and let it sink for a minute)
    Got a knock down. (Knockdowns and making your opponent retreat is part of controlling the frame)
    Made the other guy fight his fight. (This is what controlling the frame is all about)

I can see how you can give the fight to Jacobs though. We all see things through different glasses. I favor certain things when watching fights and you probably do too.
    a) Jacobs made the weigh in weight, so I don't see this as an argument. He didn't meet the rehydration clause, but so what? They shouldn't have had the weigh in so early. You have a general idea how big your opponent will be come fight night and it is what it is. No plus points for fighting a bigger man on the score cards.

b) Compubox is something many debate the merits of. All you can do is score the fight the best you can on a round by round basis. On my viewing there were no punch stats and on that basis nothing to be influenced by either. In the rounds Golovkin won convincingly such as the KD round, I imagine the punch stats would have been quite wide. Rounds are not won by just outlanding an opponent. That's the amateurs. My first instinct is that those numbers sound dodgy.

c) True, Golovkin scored a KD. Won that round by 2 points as a result.

d) I am not sure that this is true. Golovkin was made to look a bit like Provodnikov at times. He was coming forwards, but not working and getting tied up very easily down the stretch. Jacobs was dictating the terms of the fight by that stage. At times GGG was using the jab well and doing damage with combinations, but for stretches of the fight he looked very pedestrian and gave rounds away through inactivity.

GGG is very good, but I think Jacobs showed that he is very good too but has a better plan B and C.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

By the 4th round it was clear to me that it was Jacob's fight to lose. Had he listened to his corner, and maintained focus on his camp's gameplay, he would have outboxed Golovkin to a UD win. The rounds where he strayed from his strategy, are the reason he lost this close decision. I thought he won, but there were rounds, where it was clear to me at the time, he was giving away by trying to engage with power rather than show dominance with boxing skill.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The old saying springs to mind , Did he do Enough to take the title from GGG ?
    Rematch is in order.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jacobs wins a rematch and makes it look easy--which is why it won't happen.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We will have to wait and see if they rematch. Maybe Jacobs needed to just leave nothing to chance and empty the tank fully.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

GGG didn't knock him out, which proves Jacobs was robbed. Fact.

Fucks sake... for starters, fuck all the GGG haters, you stick out like a sore thumb - For all the sensible/neutral fans - if you reverse the expectation of what WILL happen to what DID happen the same pratts crying robbery (not having a pop at people that scored it close for Jacobs) would be saying Golovkin was robbed had the decision gone to Jacobs. Jacobs overachieved, he did better than everyone thought, he's a moral winner, it doesn't mean he won.

Even if Golovkin lost six rounds - which is two to many in my book - he still had a 10-8 round.

Can someone tell me how the HBO/BN commentators had it?
    Last edited by Fenster; 03-19-2017 at 09:49 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingfighter View Post

But GGG...

(Weight and size advantages have impact at the highest levels of the sport. It's possible for an average skilled fighter to be beat a very good skilled fighter based on weight and size alone. Think about that and let it sink for a minute)

a) Jacobs made the weigh in weight, so I don't see this as an argument. He didn't meet the rehydration clause, but so what? They shouldn't have had the weigh in so early. You have a general idea how big your opponent will be come fight night and it is what it is. No plus points for fighting a bigger man on the score cards.

b) Compubox is something many debate the merits of. All you can do is score the fight the best you can on a round by round basis. On my viewing there were no punch stats and on that basis nothing to be influenced by either. In the rounds Golovkin won convincingly such as the KD round, I imagine the punch stats would have been quite wide. Rounds are not won by just outlanding an opponent. That's the amateurs. My first instinct is that those numbers sound dodgy.

c) True, Golovkin scored a KD. Won that round by 2 points as a result.

d) I am not sure that this is true. Golovkin was made to look a bit like Provodnikov at times. He was coming forwards, but not working and getting tied up very easily down the stretch. Jacobs was dictating the terms of the fight by that stage. At times GGG was using the jab well and doing damage with combinations, but for stretches of the fight he looked very pedestrian and gave rounds away through inactivity.

GGG is very good, but I think Jacobs showed that he is very good too but has a better plan B and C.

The weight made a massive difference which is why we have weight divisions, GGG stays at around 168 (SMW) and Jacobs was walking around at 176 on the morning of the fight (Cruiserweight).

Of course that gives Jacobs a Massive advantage

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just watched it on YouTube without knowing result.

Wouldn't have been surprised either way with decision so no complaints..boxnation team had Jacobs by 2 but I think they were too quick to give him rounds as clearly wanted the upset.

GGG was disappointing though and clearly frustrated with himself for his performance
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Thread Information