Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Compubox Stats from Golovkin v Jacobs

Golovkin threw and landed more punches than Jacobs and beat him in every department.... nearly forgot he knocked him down and also bagged a 10-8 round = a Golovkin win ..... in hindsight it's pretty impressive against a Cruiserweight

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Compubox Stats from Golovkin v Jacobs

What really impressed me about GGG was his jab and the amount of time he landed it scoring points to win the rounds.

Jacobs was excellent in flurries particularly body shots, speed and the angles he made to land his punches.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Golovkin didn't throw enough punches, do enough work"

Before anyone says punchstats don't mean shit, yeah they don't as they can't accurately determine what landed or the relevance of the shot, however, they can give an accurate number of punches thrown.

People were under the impression Jacobs threw more yet he only threw more in four rounds, never by more than a modest 7 punches.

I was surprised that Golovkins excellent jab (which dwarfs Jacobs output) seemed to get totally ignored.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It was exactly the same bullshit brigade after Floyd v Pac, all over Social media "Pac was robbed... Mayweather just ran etc"

I remember the Stats from that were similar to the ones above.

I remember asking someone if he thought Floyd was gonna simply allow his opponent to land punches on him or was it down to the other guy to outbox him and be able to land punches on him.

If you throw and land more punches and are ahead on all the stats you win the fight on points and that's without including a KD 10-8 round which just cements the winner beyond any logical doubt whatsoever.

Also there's no doubt at all in my mind that Golovkin would have stopped Jacobs if they were a similar weight on the night.

Jacobs purposely bent the rules as far as he could to come in at Cruiserweight which definitely made him more resistant to Golovkins power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    It was exactly the same bullshit brigade after Floyd v Pac, all over Social media "Pac was robbed... Mayweather just ran etc"

I remember asking someone if he thought Floyd was gonna simply allow his opponent to land punches on him or was it down to the other guy to outbox him and be able to land punches on him.

If you throw and land more punches and are ahead on all the stats you win the fight on points and that's without including a KD 10-8 round which just cements the winner beyond any logical doubt whatsoever.

Also there's no doubt at all in my mind that Golovkin would have stopped Jacobs if they were a similar weight on the night.

Jacobs purposely bent the rules as far as he could to come in at Cruiserweight which definitely made him more resistant to Golovkins power.

Jacobs landed and through more power punches thats probably what people remember not GGGs higher jab output.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Duke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post

Jacobs landed and through more power punches thats probably what people remember not GGGs higher jab output.
    Exactly, Jacobs landed more power shots in the majority of the rounds. If boxing was only scored on amateur terms then there would be no confusion, but it isn't scored like that in the pros. GGG's jab was good, but in several of the rounds he didn't have much more than that and the power shots were from Jacobs. Either way it was a close fight and I prefer a rematch instead of Canelo which I think is a relatively easy fight for Golovkin based on styles.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Power punches are counted as ANY punch that isn't a jab. Which means a cuffing slap counts as a power punch, an arm swing counts as a power punch, a tap in close counts as a power punch etc.

Will a solid jab do more damage than a tap to the torso when in a clinch (powerpunch)?

So over 12 rounds Jacobs "landed" a mere 18 more punches - less than TWO per round - that aren't registered as a jab. And was outjabbed in 12 out of 12 rounds by 74 punches overall.

(For the record - You shouldn't even be concerned with what "landed" as it's not 100% accurate. It's merely the opinion of the person counting, and is obviously impossible to determine whether or not every punch thrown hit the target)
    Last edited by Fenster; 03-21-2017 at 09:24 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Power punches are counted as ANY punch that isn't a jab. Which means a cuffing slap counts as a power punch, an arm swing counts as a power punch, a tap in close counts as a power punch etc.

Will a solid jab do more damage than a tap to the torso when in a clinch (powerpunch)?

So over 12 rounds Jacobs "landed" a mere 18 more punches - less than TWO per round - that aren't registered as a jab. And was outjabbed in 12 out of 12 rounds by 74 punches overall.

(For the record - You shouldn't even be concerned with what "landed" as it's not 100% accurate. It's merely the opinion of the person counting, and is obviously impossible to determine whether or not every punch thrown hit the target)

Yes GGG landed the power punches to put Jacobs down , GGG for me was probably thinking he would catch up with Jacobs at some point and didn't fight with enough fire.
    However he won the fight , Jacobs did better than we thought so people are thinking he won . Rematch GGG wins inside 8.

Thread Information