Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Santa Cruz vs Mares 2

Supposedly the rematch is being ordered as santa Cruz's next fight. I like this fight actually. The first fight was good, and Mares looked good in his last fight. Featherweight is a solid division. This definitely isn't a gimme for santa Cruz.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Santa Cruz vs Mares 2

Any way you mix the guys at 126 makes for fun fights. I think Santa Cruz still holds the advantage although Mares rebounded well against Cuellar. Mares can still pull off the win tho as this is no gimme for Leo.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mares started like a house on fire and I thought he was going to win the first time they met. It was action packed but I can not see Mares winning.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Mares started like a house on fire and I thought he was going to win the first time they met. It was action packed but I can not see Mares winning.
    Santa Cruz surprised me with his boxing ability that night. I thought he would be the one storming forward but the roles were reversed. If the rematch is anything like the first we will be in for a treat.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Santa Cruz surprised me with his boxing ability that night. I thought he would be the one storming forward but the roles were reversed. If the rematch is anything like the first we will be in for a treat.
    Cruz used the exact same skills and patience to beat Frampton in the rematch.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He did. I wonder how much his fathers illness played in his first loss.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did not realise that. I think Cruz loves to fight and go at a pace because no one can match him. Frampton picked him off in the first fight and just won but the pace against Mares was too much for Mares and he wilted.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did not realise that. I think Cruz loves to fight and go at a pace because no one can match him. Frampton picked him off in the first fight and just won but the pace against Mares was too much for Mares and he wilted.
    I think Mares kept pace with Leo, the cut Mares suffered in the 3rd might have played a part. Santa Cruz used a composed attack to assert himself by the mid rounds. He was landing the cleaner shots; especially the right over Mares' jab.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Carl Frampton & Leo Santa Cruz will not complete trilogy in Belfast this summer

Carl Frampton will not fight Leo Santa Cruz this summer after the World Boxing Association told its featherweight champion to fight Abner Mares instead.

Frampton beat Santa Cruz to claim the WBA belt in New York last summer but lost the January rematch in Las Vegas.

But the WBA ended speculation of a third fight between the pair in Belfast by ordering Santa Cruz to defend his belt against his fellow Mexican.

Frampton, 30, is set to announce his next opponent in the next few weeks.

The Belfast boxer has indicated that the fight is likely to take place at Windsor Park, home of the Northern Ireland football team, in late July or early August.

A WBA statement read: "The World Boxing Association Championship Committee ordered Mexicans featherweight Leo Santa Cruz (33-1-1, 18 KO) super champion and Abner Mares (30-2-1, 15 KO) regular champion working teams to negotiate their upcoming mandatory fight.

"They were given a 30 [day] negotiating period, and should they not reach an agreement, the WBA will summon a purse bid.

"Mares won the regular WBA featherweight title on December 2016, when he defeated unanimously Argentina's Jesus Cuellar, winning the right to face Santa Cruz for the second time."

The Mexicans met before in 2015 in a bout considered one of the best fights of the year, which ended in a majority decision to Santa Cruz, who became the WBA featherweight super champion.

The news could pave the way for Frampton to fight IBF champion Lee Selby of Wales.

Carl Frampton & Leo Santa Cruz will not complete trilogy in Belfast this summer - BBC Sport

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that Mares will box in this one and not come forward so much. He had a ton of success against cuellar boxing. We did see that Santa Cruz has some good boxing abilities too though. I actually thought that Mares was going to win the first fight. Cruz has really impressed me lately.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There are just so many fights to be made at featherweight. Between frampton, Cruz, mares, Valdez, Selby, and quigg. There are also a few other decent fighters. Hopefully everyone starts getting into the mix.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And because there are so many good fighters there, that's why I'm not so worried about a third fight between Cruz and frampton. They have so many other good fights that could happen.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I also picked Mares to win the first. I just thought he was the more versatile fighter. I think this one could go either way.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I let the heart get the better of me and really thought Cuellar would take Mares after long layoff but Mares stepped up for a good rebound. Best fighting the best is all a division can hope for. To me Santa Cruz is one of the more refreshing runs in boxing. Massive charisma and all around good guy appeal and blew the doors off showing he is indeed very capable of switching up styles and pace at a high tier.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How time flies. Didn't Mares just get a cush job on Prime and he has to do this? Turns out we're getting a highly anticipated trilogy between these two that zero fans asked for. Mare's eye is fooked after multiple detached retinas, anyone involved in making this one should have a paper bag over their head at announcement. Including Haymon and the "the savior of boxing" Turki fella. But money talks right. Shameful.

Thread Information