Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who win Hagler v Golovkin

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marvin Hagler v Gennady Golovkin

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Marvin Hagler v Gennady Golovkin

Who do you think wins this fight and how?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Marvin Hagler v Gennady Golovkin

I heard/read so many people post Jacobs saying don't mention GGG in the same sentence as Hagler ever again which to me at least, is pathetic.

I know there's an unwritten rule that contemporary fighters dont stand a chance against their counterparts from years gone by, it will be no different in years to come.

Hagler GGG would be an absolute war and I cant split them.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think GGG would do him

Hagler couldn't beat a blown up welterweight
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

El Kabong Guest

I'd have to take The Marvelous One in that bout....if he could take anything Tommy Hearns threw at him he'd have no trouble with GGG unless GGG were going to try to out box him and even then he's going to have to work extremely hard for all 12/15 rounds to do that and I don't think many would be able to handle that.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hagler looks like a titch compared with todays middles.

I'd like to see how well he fares against Billy Joe, Eubank Jr or Stevens before feeding him to Golovkin, Lemiuex or Jacobs.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    I'd have to take The Marvelous One in that bout....if he could take anything Tommy Hearns threw at him he'd have no trouble with GGG unless GGG were going to try to out box him and even then he's going to have to work extremely hard for all 12/15 rounds to do that and I don't think many would be able to handle that.

Yeah I agree with you there. When Hagler beat Hearns in that classic, he went up a few notches in my view. I'm a big GGG fan... and it wouldn't be an easy fight for either of them. But I gotta go with Hagler in the end. Either way, it would be a tremendous match.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Hagler looks like a titch compared with todays middles.

I'd like to see how well he fares against Billy Joe, Eubank Jr or Stevens before feeding him to Golovkin, Lemiuex or Jacobs.

I absolutely agree that the 24 hour weigh in rules have made a bit of a mockery of every weight division (apart from heavy, obviously).

It was brought in for the tight reasons, i.e. To prevent fighters dangerously dehydrating to make weight. The unintended consequence is that every single weight division is actually the one ABOVE it.

Having said that, I do think GGG is a natural true middleweight. He is a lot smaller than some of the guys out there now and I reckon he would have been about the same size as Hagler.

The Marvelous One chews up and spits out Saunders, Eubank Junior and the like.

Him and Golovkin would be a fight for the ages. Two big punchers, with absolute iron chins. I can't see either guy being stopped so I reckon this goes to points. Both guys are very underrated boxers ... I can't split these guys, both of whom I think are outstanding fighters
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Marvin is one of the all time great middle weights.
    GGG is a great fighter but Marvin would beat him a fan of both but Hagler is King.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it would be a competitive fight at times but Hagler would bust GGG up late. Especially over 15 rounds.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's hard for me seeing GGG win. Here's why. GGG wouldn't be able to hurt haglar. GGG is a great technical boxer but has slow feet. He relies on breaking down his opponent which he wouldn't do to haglar.

I think the scorecards would be fairly close, but I think that haglar out boxes GGG and even hurts him a bit because GGG is willing to take a punch to give one.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Two best of their time but Hagler was every bit the fighter and the better boxer than Golovkin and he would need to be. He also benefits from the complete picture career wise. Up until his last fight I cannot remember seeing Golovkin face that level of adversity. Probably one of the best things that happened to Hagler was being hit on by Monroe at such an early stage and he did nothing but improve. Hagler is enshrined in a legendary era and by no fault of his own Golovkin has the 'best match up/fighter' in Canelo running from him and has to collect trinkets in assumed steamrollers. But even without that Hagler runs too deep for me and keeps Golovkin turning and touched often for a win. Gears!

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see GGG hurting Hagler but I do see Hagler hurting GGG. That and like @Spicoli says his ability to turn it up a notch makes for a hard night for Golovkin. Hagler fought a lot of tough opposition even before getting a shot. I just don't see GGG being able to hang with The Marvelous One as the fight progressed.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have to admit that I'm shocked at some of the answers. People tend to remember Hagler as the warrior who stood toe to toe vs Hearns, Mugabi, and Leonard (tried to vs Ray), understandably. Prime Hagler was much much better than that version, and was probably one of the top two or three most complete fighters ever. People forget that he was pretty quick, was a great boxer, and was able to fight effectively from the southpaw and orthodox stance, usually because Marvin's punch, chin, and stamina/work ethic overshadow everything else. I see Marvin boxing GGG silly, and stopping him late through attrition and accumulation of punishment.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you can never have a debate like this on a boxing forum or with boxing fans and get an accurate answer, even with those that are not really old enough to have experienced hagler

Boxing is a nostalgic sport and Hagler would win every single time, when in reality he would probably be knocked out like most of Golovkins other opponents
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Have to admit that I'm shocked at some of the answers. People tend to remember Hagler as the warrior who stood toe to toe vs Hearns, Mugabi, and Leonard (tried to vs Ray), understandably. Prime Hagler was much much better than that version, and was probably one of the top two or three most complete fighters ever. People forget that he was pretty quick, was a great boxer, and was able to fight effectively from the southpaw and orthodox stance, usually because Marvin's punch, chin, and stamina/work ethic overshadow everything else. I see Marvin boxing GGG silly, and stopping him late through attrition and accumulation of punishment.
    I agree Hagler wins because prime Hagler may have been before he even won the title as he had to beat even tougher (but less well known) fighters to get to the title. Marvin was a skilful southpaw boxers with great speed and endurance.

However GGG is also a rated boxer with pedigree at amateur and professional level so I could not see him being boxed silly and stopped. It would be on points and I think Marvellous speed may be the decisive factor in winning.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information