Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ricky Burns v Julius Indongo - rd-by-rd/Sky Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Point being Ricky could have made easier fights and defences but he went for a unification. That deserves credit, especially as his best days are probably behind him. Yes people have been saying that about him for some time now.
    1. "Point being Ricky could have made easier fights and defences but he went for a unification. "
    you see, this is where you don't understand promotion and Boxing business. He couldn't take easier fights, Sky wouldn't buy it. Also he wouldn't have earned the money he wants/needs. He had no choice.
    2. "his best days are probably behind him. Yes people have been saying that about him for some time now"
    This is my point. YOU WEREN'T SAYING THAT! You were saying he's top 5 p4p, he's this, he's that. Just because you read the papers and that's what they tell you. I like to make my own opinions.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Indonga is a road warrior. Hopefully he gets another good payday against Crawford next. He will need to travel for that as well.
    I've always had more respect for boxers who win world titles on the road.

Indongo has done it twice now, and both times dominated his opponents - the first time with one-punch KO power, and the second time with boxing skills.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ricky Burns: Where does Scotland's former world champion go from here?

So here's what we know: Ricky Burns is not the best boxer in the world fighting at 10 stone.

That much was obvious as he was easily undone by Namibia's Julius Indongo over 12 rounds of their unification contest at Glasgow's SSE Hydro on Saturday.

He possessed neither the speed nor skill-set to counteract the 34-year-old IBF world super-lightweight champion's southpaw stance, rapid attacks and clever footwork.

And, to the dismay of Burns' 8,500 fans in the arena, Scotland's first three-weight world champion paid for it, in what he had said was the biggest fight of his career, by losing his WBA title.

Burns, who turned 34 on Thursday, spoke to reporters in the early hours of Sunday morning, nursing a bruised face.

"The better man won on the night," he said with trademark honesty.

"I'm devastated, I've lost my title. He was a lot better than we thought he was going to be. He could punch; my head is thumping."

The painful reality for this popular figure is that the man holding the other two main belts, the WBC and WBO versions, America's unbeaten Terence Crawford, won handsomely on points against Burns at lightweight just over three years ago.

Burns remains fit, if not fitter, than fighters a decade younger, he has 48 contests' worth of experience and a sincere hunger to continue. He is not about to retire.

The Crawford and Indongo defeats share some common themes.

The Nebraskan switched to southpaw during that WBO world lightweight title bout, which was Burns' first loss in seven years. He too got his punches away more quickly and dished out too much punishment for the judges to be in any doubt about who was the victor.

What didn't happen in the more recent of the two was Burns being pinned against the ropes. His punishment came in flurries in the middle of the ring.

Burns took on the fight against Indongo aware of the risk to his career, but admittedly unsure of just how good was his opponent, who has now won all 22 of his fights since turning professional after the 2008 Olympics.

"He was more awkward than we thought he was going to be," said Burns, in his 17th year as a pro.

"He was playing with distance a lot. I didn't want to over-commit because if he was catching me with his left hand on the counter, he would have taken me out.

"I've still got a few years in me, a few big nights left. I'm not finished yet. I am not afraid to lose but just now is not nice."

Burns declared that he was "not entertaining" an all-Scottish fight against the Commonwealth champion, Prestonpans' Josh Taylor.

Promoter Eddie Hearn suggested a fight against Manchester's Anthony Crolla, at ringside on Saturday and who recently failed in his bid to regain his WBA lightweight crown, was an option, though it looks much less likely now.

Hearn said: "The only reason Crolla would go up to light-welterweight (super-lightweight) was to fight Ricky. It's a big domestic fight. The styles would gel for a great fight."

With Burns ruling out a return to the dietary strains of making lightweight and with there being "too many beasts at welterweight", the most likely scenario is that he stays at 140lb and that Hearn and trainer Tony Sims seek a bout against a credible, high-ranking opponent to jockey the Coatbridge man into fighting for a world title for a 14th time.

"Tonight he lost a unification fight to a very good world champion," said Hearn. "He can come back from this.

"Ricky Burns will want to fight if it's a four-rounder at Bethnal Green. It's up to me and Tony to make sure that doesn't happen.

"It wasn't like he got battered, he was just outskilled by the better fighter. We'll find a better style for Ricky. That was the worst style for him but it was his best chance to unify the division. (Adrien) Broner is still chasing a fight with Ricky. He is going to get multiple offers to go out to the States."

Burns has espoused the same attitude for years. On countless occasions he has said he will fight anyone put in front of him.

"It would be great to get another big night up here but if we do get a good offer to go to America I am more than up for it," he said.

And, with that, he went to embrace his wife, Amanda, and enjoy a few weeks' rest. Few would grudge him the break, or a big Las Vegas pay day before he calls it a day.
    Share this page

Ricky Burns: Where does Scotland's former world champion go from here? - BBC Sport
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never been able to fully get behind Ricky Burns I don't know why, I've always liked the bloke but I've just never thought he was all that good, obviously he has managed to carve out a fantastic career for himself but he has never been one of the best fighters despite the world titles.

I can't see as though he will get himself back into world contention now and I can't see why Eddie is saying that Broner still wants to fight him, I can't see what Broner would gain from that now.

Burns said himself that the doubters will be saying it is the end of him and I hope he proves us wrong, I just can't see it this time though.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I've never been able to fully get behind Ricky Burns I don't know why, I've always liked the bloke but I've just never thought he was all that good, obviously he has managed to carve out a fantastic career for himself but he has never been one of the best fighters despite the world titles.

I can't see as though he will get himself back into world contention now and I can't see why Eddie is saying that Broner still wants to fight him, I can't see what Broner would gain from that now.

Burns said himself that the doubters will be saying it is the end of him and I hope he proves us wrong, I just can't see it this time though.
    Many you are right, he was hurt in the fight and looked at times of being stopped, but it would good to see him against Crolla. Nice domestic fight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Many you are right, he was hurt in the fight and looked at times of being stopped, but it would good to see him against Crolla. Nice domestic fight.
    Nice fight maybe but how do they sell it?

Both have come up extremely short when stepping up a level (granted Burns didn't actually realize who he was getting into the ring with) I can't see there being much demand for it.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both have come up extremely short when stepping up a level (granted Burns didn't actually realize who he was getting into the ring with) I can't see there being much demand for it.
    God what a miserable bunch of moaners Actually both are over achievers and a match up between the two would be very easy to market. You have two unpretentious blokes that most people can relate to. You have the England v Scotland angle and a decent undercard will make it value for money. If you can engineer it as an eliminator for a title shot or some obscure belt then the jobs a good un.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post

God what a miserable bunch of moaners Actually both are over achievers and a match up between the two would be very easy to market. You have two unpretentious blokes that most people can relate to. You have the England v Scotland angle and a decent undercard will make it value for money. If you can engineer it as an eliminator for a title shot or some obscure belt then the jobs a good un.
    Exactly, both are over achievers, both are unpretentious, neither are known for running their mouth so the England v Scotland angle would fade away pretty quickly.

It's a fight I'd like to see definitely but now that there are no belts up for grabs Sky aren't going to be overly bothered about it.

It'll take a lot to get the casuals to tune into a fight with two relatively unknown boxers who are both coming off losses and neither of them will exactly be throwing tables in press conferences to drum up the interest.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post

I was with you until that last part. I think both need to do more before getting an opportunity at an eliminator again. The winner could definitely move on to one. It would be a good undercard bout.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cracking undercard bout agreed
    Main event no

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

indongo looked really good, absolutely dominated every minute of every round

ricky has never been beaten like that before

id like to see him fight crawford
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    indongo looked really good, absolutely dominated every minute of every round

ricky has never been beaten like that before

id like to see him fight crawford
    He deserves that fight. If Burns had of won would anyone really want to see him face Crawford again? In my opinion it would have been pointless. Indongo is unbeaten and now holds 2(3) titles. That fight is much more appealing.

Thread Information