Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Brook a "quitter?"

You cannot take comments by those who have never sponged a punch serious. They have zero validity. He's always conducted himself as a professional and deserves nothing but high praise for working himself back to proper weight and meeting his mandatory. Spence was not a quitter, what he was was a beaten fighter who frankly was taking more damage than just the eye. By far it was the major significant damage, but there is a whiff out there like Spence just got a few lucky punches in or something.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wonder if the latest eye injury was in anyway helped along because he has a titanium plate in his right eye socket?
    Obviously im no doctor but mayne that itself puts a lot of pressure and stress on the other eye socket, then 11 rounds of having it caved in non stop on top.

Seems crazy he has had the exact same injury in 2 back to back fights.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by smashup View Post
    I wonder if the latest eye injury was in anyway helped along because he has a titanium plate in his right eye socket?
    Obviously im no doctor but mayne that itself puts a lot of pressure and stress on the other eye socket, then 11 rounds of having it caved in non stop on top.

This is the question I asked in the other thread, I can't think of any type of underlying problem that would cause you to have weak eye sockets (sounds stupid even writing it) but to suffer 2 fractures of the same nature in 2 successive fights just seems bizarre to me.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not to be flip but it surely did him no favors going from one of the biggest punchers in one division to another at 147. No telling if he had an underlying problem all together that went undetected in the first place. For any fighter it has to be in the back of their mind though. Maybe on a much lesser scale it could be like trying to adjust after a bad cut, broken jaw fighting to defend the area. All injuries have to cause compensation in one way or another. Not sure if Paulie had a plate put in after Cotto broke his orbital but remember him talking about 'feeling it in his teeth'

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's sort of what im thinking..
    If the strength of the titanium plate somehow forced or concentrated the stress and impact of Spences punches over to the other side of Brooks face?

The odds of that injury happening twice must be massive and I've never known it happen before?

Strange

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's sort of what im thinking..
    If the strength of the titanium plate somehow forced or concentrated the stress and impact of Spences punches over to the other side of Brooks face?

The odds of that injury happening twice must be massive and I've never known it happen before?

Strange
    Than I am not sure how long they have been using Titanium rebuilds, particularly for an active boxer. Maybe if they do the other one he becomes like Robobrook and f**ks the other guys hand up
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have no idea if that's how it works to be honest but it would seemingly do little to lessen or redirect the concussive impact of a punch? I don't think Abraham started having reoccurring breaks on the other side of his face or Barrera with a titanium plate in his skull after brain surgery post Junior Jones rematch.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Someone needs to clump the phantom of the opera to get to the bottom of this

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Brook in his last two fights showed how tough he was. He can take a punch, get hurt, then keep on throwing. He is tough but isn't stupid. I've seen way too many of these tough fighters that are just dumb.

When you are getting beat badly and taking a ton of punishment, you don't owe anybody anything by continuing to take punishment just to prove that you won't get KO'd. Brook had lost. He knew that he really didn't have enough to win the fight at that point and it wasn't worth permanently damaging his eye.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Someone needs to clump the phantom of the opera to get to the bottom of this
    You now have me thinking of Richard from Boardwalk Empire as random as that is.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Brook in his last two fights showed how tough he was. He can take a punch, get hurt, then keep on throwing. He is tough but isn't stupid. I've seen way too many of these tough fighters that are just dumb.

When you are getting beat badly and taking a ton of punishment, you don't owe anybody anything by continuing to take punishment just to prove that you won't get KO'd. Brook had lost. He knew that he really didn't have enough to win the fight at that point and it wasn't worth permanently damaging his eye.
    Agreed.

When Vicktor Postol stopped the Argentinian Machine, no one complained
    about quitting. Same with Collazo against Thurman. Tor Hammer is a quitter.
    Brook did not quit in the sense that he did not want to fight any more, He
    “quit” because Spence had beaten him into submission by closing an eye that had
    already suffered severe damage against GGG. that’s not quitting; that’s just
    being smart and trying to save your eyesight.

Cotto surrendered against Margo by taking a knee. No one called him a
    quitter. Let’s define “quitter” in the context of boxing and not in the context
    of what the dictionary says.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Been away a couple of days and just saw the fight. I'm amazed at how quickly people jump in with the "quitter" label. Brook has proven to be a warrior, and to call someone like that a "quitter" is ignorant. It's the "Roman gladiator" mentality of some. To hell with the guy's health... he took a knee because his eye was damaged and couldn't see... but he's a "quitter" anyway. What B.S.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He did quit, but it is very understandable. What I cannot understand is a) why Brook fought Golovkin 2 weights more than his regular weight and b) why he then fought such a dangerous fighter immediately after having his eye bashed in like that? I think these have been 2 very poor decisions that have likely shortened his career. I just scratch my head trying to make sense of it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Than I am not sure how long they have been using Titanium rebuilds, particularly for an active boxer. Maybe if they do the other one he becomes like Robobrook and f**ks the other guys hand up

Ricky Burns needed Titanium for his jaw after the Beltran fight

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    He did quit, but it is very understandable. What I cannot understand is a) why Brook fought Golovkin 2 weights more than his regular weight and b) why he then fought such a dangerous fighter immediately after having his eye bashed in like that? I think these have been 2 very poor decisions that have likely shortened his career. I just scratch my head trying to make sense of it.
    Looking at who's he's fought in recent years and the bouts of inactivity. These might be the clue as to why he went for these big fights.

Thread Information