Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Carl Frampton next fight will be in Belfast

Carl Frampton confirms his next fight will be in Belfast

Carl Frampton has confirmed he will return to the ring for a fight in his hometown Belfast on 29 July.

The featherweight has not fought since his loss to Leo Santa Cruz in their WBA title fight in Las Vegas.

Frampton, 30, had promised his next bout would be in Belfast during the summer with Windsor Park or the SSE Arena the most likely venues.

The opponent has yet to be named but Frampton has already ruled out a fight against IBF champion Lee Selby.

Frampton has previously said that Windsor Park would be his preferred venue but the Irish FA has confirmed that it is still in negotiations with the boxer over the use of the stadium.

"Cyclone Promotions have held discussions with the IFA but nothing has been agreed," an IFA spokesperson told BBC Sport.

Confirmation of the venue is expected next week with the SSE Arena thought to be an alternative location.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/40185070
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Carl Frampton next fight will be in Belfast

Not a fan of this style of matchmaking where they work out the venue and date then just plug in whatever opponent.

Because by the time Frampton fights Shelby will be signed to another fight. It's the start of pushing that fight to next summer. Hopefully LSC can get his mandatory out of the way and LSC/Frampton 3 can happen early next year. Ugh, it's beginning of June and we are hoping for a meaningful fight next year.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be fair to Carl, he has beaten 2 unbeaten fighters in Qugg and LSC and lost the return and now wants a fight at his homeland.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    To be fair to Carl, he has beaten 2 unbeaten fighters in Qugg and LSC and lost the return and now wants a fight at his homeland.
    Not saying he doesn't deserve an easier fight or a fight in his homeland. He's done his part.

Just saying I don't like that approach to matchmaking. We've seen this way push off larger fights(GGG) before. I think first you get opponent, then split, then venue.

It's certainly earned by Frampton. Just as a rule...

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Carl Frampton to face Andres Gutierrez at SSE Arena in Belfast

Carl Frampton will make his ring return against Andres Gutierrez at Belfast's SSE Arena in a WBC world featherweight title eliminator on 29 July.

Frampton has not fought since his loss to Leo Santa Cruz in their WBA title fight in Las Vegas in January.

Mexican Gutierrez, 23, has lost just one of his 35 fights and is a former WBC Silver featherweight champion.

Frampton initially expected to fight Santa Cruz for a third time this summer but that bout failed to materialise.

Former two-weight world champion Frampton confirmed last week that his next fight would be in his home city.

Guitirrez, known as the 'Jaguar', turned pro at just 15. He said he was relishing next month's showdown with Frampton.

"I'm very happy for this news they gave me. I know it will be very difficult, but I have the character to prevail," he said.

"I'm going to put in soul, life, and heart and I will fight for what I most want, that's why I'll prevail."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/40273754

Thread Information