Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who should Andre Ward fight next?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who should Andre Ward fight next?

Quote Originally Posted by palmerq View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Stevenson is the fight that makes sense. But can it be done? Ward is an HBO guy, they can't win any sort of bidding situation. Would Ward be willing to fight on another network? Where do they stage the fight? Last fight of Stevenson's the crowd seemed sparce. Stevensons network in Wards town makes the most sense as it is most profitable but doubt that happens.
    Stevenson will be 40 this year, I would think he/his managers will decide to "cash him out" some time soon, there is only so much money to be made fighting karpency and bika in quebec after all.. I dont know if ward pays enough for stevenson to take him on though, i would guess he is more likely to take on kovalev than ward.

As for ward I doubt he will make mandatory defences of his belts and look to poach belts from the higher weight classes from weak champions, I think ward is pretty close to being retired now and fair enough he has done great.
    I think Cruiserweight is pretty decent right now and Ward would struggle with the size of those fellas. I mean he just now looks like a real light heavyweight.

I mean for example against Usyk he would be giving up 7 inches in reach.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Giving his proficiency for riding a beltline maybe Abner Mares Todays Hopkins if he wants to see his future years in a mirror.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I couldn't care less. He is horrible to watch, cheats in every fight and should be boycotted.
    You are boycotting Floyd and Ward. I'll give you a list of other fighters to boycott. Crawford, Loma, Rigo, GGG, Chocolatito...I think there's a pattern here. Are you just boycotting the best fighters?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I couldn't care less. He is horrible to watch, cheats in every fight and should be boycotted.
    Might be easier to just list who you aren't boycotting
    Basically James Toney.

Just not into these divas that cheat. Once fair enough as bad things do happen, but Wards legacy from Kessler to this and it's a trail of butts, low blows and shenanigans. He was outboxed by Kovalev twice and yet still the Americans go on about him being sublime and the best in the world. It's utter nonsense.

Seeing the end in slow motion just makes me more angry. Kovalev actually did better in this fight. He let his hands go more and sure it was a rubbish round 8, but to stop it on a full blow to the meat and vegetables is one of the worst things I have seen in boxing. Up there with the Khan/Barerra fight. Kovalev was winning this fight and all the stats back that up. Ward waking up for 1 minute does does equal a win or make any cancellation of how he lost half the fight. Kovalev's stock goes up for me as I think he made the adjustments he needed to. Same as with Groves who is better than Froch.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    You are boycotting Floyd and Ward. I'll give you a list of other fighters to boycott. Crawford, Loma, Rigo, GGG, Chocolatito...I think there's a pattern here. Are you just boycotting the best fighters?
    Nah, it boils down to Ward and Mayweather. One is a cheat and the other is pisstaker.

I'm into most other fighters and especially James Toney. I love Lomachenko and think he is the best fighter since Joe Calzaghe. GGG is great too. Rigo is borderline boycotted after that last fight. He has one more chance when he fights again in the next 2 years.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nah, it boils down to Ward and Mayweather. One is a cheat and the other is pisstaker.

I'm into most other fighters and especially James Toney. I love Lomachenko and think he is the best fighter since Joe Calzaghe. GGG is great too. Rigo is borderline boycotted after that last fight. He has one more chance when he fights again in the next 2 years.
    I can't tell if you have been trolling or you just have no idea what is going on

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't tell if you have been trolling or you just have no idea what is going on
    Trolling? I am for real. I don't joke about these things.

Ward is a cheat and not once but in many fights now. Mayweather is a pisstaker. These are pretty standard points of view.

My love of James Toney runs deep and is genuine.

Calzaghe is the greatest of all fighters and was unbeatable. He would have sorted Ward out with or without the cheating.

My views on Rigo are flexible.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gandalf is clueless on this one. He is besotted by James Toney and anti-Ward for no real reason. I agree Kov was winning but Ward was getting on top and was taking over. Kov should have been more ring wise and resisted the low blows and ref being blind to it.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

Gandalf is clueless on this one. He is besotted by James Toney and anti-Ward for no real reason. I agree Kov was winning but Ward was getting on top and was taking over. Kov should have been more ring wise and resisted the low blows and ref being blind to it.
    Ward has upset me ever since the Billy goating of Mikkel Kessler that screwed up his eye and shortened his career. There are never any repurcussions for his frankly dangerous and unsporting behavior. No I don't like him. I am anti-Ward because he is a cheat and it happens in all too many fights with him. Look at the slow motion replay, Master and then tell me there is no reason to dislike him. The man is a bit like Wlad in that he got to do what he wanted and spoiled many a potentially good fight. You didn't see James Toney fighting like that. How can you resist a punch to the balls? What are you meant to do? Are they meant to retreat into the body as the punch comes towards him? No, I am not impressed at all. Twice Ward was outboxed and twice the inhouse boxer gets a gift. I've seen enough boxing to know that oen bad round does not mean a fighter is done. They kill the clock, get a breather and come back hard if they are elite and Kovalev didn't get a chance to prove it. Stopped to the cock. You couldn't make it up.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward has upset me ever since the Billy goating of Mikkel Kessler that screwed up his eye and shortened his career. There are never any repurcussions for his frankly dangerous and unsporting behavior. No I don't like him. I am anti-Ward because he is a cheat and it happens in all too many fights with him. Look at the slow motion replay, Master and then tell me there is no reason to dislike him. The man is a bit like Wlad in that he got to do what he wanted and spoiled many a potentially good fight. You didn't see James Toney fighting like that. How can you resist a punch to the balls? What are you meant to do? Are they meant to retreat into the body as the punch comes towards him? No, I am not impressed at all. Twice Ward was outboxed and twice the inhouse boxer gets a gift. I've seen enough boxing to know that oen bad round does not mean a fighter is done. They kill the clock, get a breather and come back hard if they are elite and Kovalev didn't get a chance to prove it. Stopped to the cock. You couldn't make it up.
    You are making it up! You need to give credit to Ward and his skills and stop focusing on the negative. I have said Kov could have reacted far better than he did and should have punched Ward low back if the ref was not stopping it. It seems the fight was taken out of Kov because Ward was getting stronger and taking it to Kov.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Paulie agrees.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The video does not lie and I am not making anything up. You owe me a letter of apology.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not saying the blows were not low but Kov could have taken a knee and punched ward back if the ref was not going to stop it. Instead he cowered and practically gave up.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Gandalf I, in part, agree with you

I think one way or another Kov has been bummed out of it, not just the fight, his fair purse and the rest

there was only one way he was gonna win and that was by a clear knockout, and even then ?

Rocky 4, America v Russia, one of America's few elite fighters, lb4lb contender, going in against a tall powerful, straight up, robotic like Russian killing machine

there was no way Kov would be allowed to win

he didn't do himself any favours tho when the last few seconds came, I almost agree with the stoppage
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not saying the blows were not low but Kov could have taken a knee and punched ward back if the ref was not going to stop it. Instead he cowered and practically gave up.
    If he took a knee it would be a 10-8 round and if he punched Ward low you know the ref wouldn't be having it. You knew the fix was in with the judges, the refereeing, with HBO. It was an awful example for boxing to set and it should have been something special. Once again boxing has a black eye. I won't give credit to a cheat who always has the advantages and who always has his cheating overlooked. Once is an accident, again and again a habit. Andre Ward is spoiled. Personally I think Kovalev should have wacked him in the balls. Maybe next time he could do it in round 1 and end the fight there and then. As hard as he can to the balls and of course he would be disqualified. Like Khan/Barrera, a homeboys fix.

Thread Information