Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Loma v Marriaga + Crawford v Indongu

I think the odds are based on Marriaga never having beaten a good fighter. His best win is over the 11th best Mexican at 126, the #60 fighter at 126. Ratings wise it's his best win by far.

But that ignores good losses. WaLters won wide, but the more recent fight against Valdez was very good. Valdez clearly beat him but Marriaga made a damn good account of himself.

I think the thought is that gamblers will look at his horrid opposition, and they are right to think it is horrid I was shocked when I really looked more deeply into it, and look at how he lost against the only remotely decent opponents. And they think gamblers won't consider how competitive he was v Valdez.

The number 29 guy at 126 facing the number 1 guy at 130 probably should be very wide. But those are just numbers, numbers don't fight. And Marriaga is better than those numbers.

If I can find a place to get 100-1 I'll drop 100 on it because why not.

Edit-what I'm finding is +1600, not worth it to me.
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 08-03-2017 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Marriaga is an excellent opponent. It's a testament to Loma that he's so ridiculously good that a proven top level whacker is seen as a "gimme" for a geezer that hasn't even had 10 fights.
    You speak odds and betting...purely for entertainment purposes of course ...better than anyone I've seen, they've listed Loma as a 100-1 favorite now. Sound reasonable or are they blinded by the light. Seems astonishing considering Marriaga just took young Valdez to the brink.
    Those odds are way out of whack especially considering the Floyd/ Mac odds.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Spicoli - The odds are about what I expect them to be, there's a difference between making a fight entertaining/out-performing your odds and actually winning.

Marriaga is 16/1 (personally I think that's slightly to big). So if you think there's a case for him winning then you have a great price.

However, I would assess it like this - can Marriaga outbox Loma? No. Can he out hustle/muscle him? Not likely, he's got a height and reach advantage but moving up to 130, so no significant size advantage. That means he needs a stoppage. Can he KO him? Yes (on paper). He has an 80% KO ratio and proved his class against top-class Valdez and Walters. However, there's no evidence that Loma is susceptible to taking a shot and has no stamina worries. When you factor in cuts and injuries then 16/1 for a proven puncher doesn't look so bad (22/1 to win by stoppage).

Like Alpha said - compared to McGregor (4/1) then Marriaga at 4x the price is a steal. ((Floyd-McGregor has to be completely ignored from a betting standpoint, it's an abnormality)).
    Last edited by Fenster; 08-04-2017 at 07:41 PM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    It's not often we get a unified champ so I'm all for this fight. Indongu backing himself fight after fight. Marriaga took my boy Valdez to the line in a fight much closer than the cards showed.
    Marriga was doing well in that fight right up until he got dropped. He showed he can fight at the same pace as Valdez and was durable but because he is coming off a loss I don't think Loma is going to get much credit for this win. If he stops marriaga I think that's a pretty impressive statement.

indingu would have a great story if he toured the world winning world titles and it culminated with a win this weekend vs Crawford. I'd like to see him do well but I don't think he wins a round. Crawford will outbox him from the start and beat him up the longer it goes. They both did a job on Ricky burns. Wonder who he is picking?

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post
    indingu would have a great story if he toured the world winning world titles and it culminated with a win this weekend vs Crawford
    crawford v umbongo isnt for another 2 weeks.. But i would also like to see indongo do well, that would be a great story, a guy not from a boxing powerhouse, never fought professionally outside of namibia in his mid 30s brought over to russia to be ko'd wins one world title then heads over to britain and outclasses the scottish fellow to win another one... Then he gets to take on one of the best boxers in the world for all the belts, it would be amazing if he won but like you I think crawford is just far too good(and pretty big at the weight too).

bollocks its on superchannel in canada due to these gits defecting from hbo.... I need to resubscribe to it...

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    It's not often we get a unified champ so I'm all for this fight. Indongu backing himself fight after fight. Marriaga took my boy Valdez to the line in a fight much closer than the cards showed.
    Marriga was doing well in that fight right up until he got dropped. He showed he can fight at the same pace as Valdez and was durable but because he is coming off a loss I don't think Loma is going to get much credit for this win.
    He won't but it's because Marriaga doesn't have a good win and moving up in weight. It's not because he is coming off a loss, that loss is by far the highlight of his career. There is no reason to mark Marriaga down for that, in fact quite the opposite.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are they seriously delaying this card right now for NFL inductions and a Jerry Jones speech ESPN dropping the ball big time!

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are they seriously delaying this card right now for NFL inductions and a Jerry Jones speech ESPN dropping the ball big time!
    TR currently showing an eight rounder between two Hispanic guys whose names I'm not getting because I've got it on mute while I deal with a dog insurrection. Not sure what's going on exactly. British TV never tell you anything. This is what happens when you 're a niche sport moving away from no commercial dedicated platform HBO. TR not in Kansas anymore.

It's curry smells that set them off. They can smell Eau de Indian Restaurant on me.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    TR currently showing an eight rounder between two Hispanic guys whose names I'm not getting because I've got it on mute while I deal with a dog insurrection. Not sure what's going on exactly. British TV never tell you anything. This is what happens when you 're a niche sport moving away from no commercial dedicated platform HBO. TR not in Kansas anymore.

It's curry smells that set them off. They can smell Eau de Indian Restaurant on me.
    Seeing the same on ESPNDEP but don't understand a word . Really takes the luster off a top stars card with 1 hr being basically ignored by network. All part of being a Nation wide 'brand' sport as opposed to individual, though Bob Arum must be red faced cursing watching this. Tony fookin Romo being praised .

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post

Seeing the same on ESPNDEP but don't understand a word . Really takes the luster off a top stars card with 1 hr being basically ignored by network. All part of being a Nation wide 'brand' sport as opposed to individual, though Bob Arum must be red faced cursing watching this. Tony fookin Romo being praised .
    I wonder how TR are going to make the economics work. If ESPN were paying top dollar they wouldn't be doing this. Does anybody know what the purses are for this card please?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cruel irony they just cut live WTA Tennis off air and put live card on ESPN2 now. Any Tennis fans here . Jerry Jones starting to remind me of Clint Eastwood talking to that empty chair ffs.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've got Enzo Maccarinelli talking to another couple of sheepshaggers in a fifty quid studio.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beltran hasn't even been on yet... whether ESPN are showing it or not

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Beltran hasn't even been on yet.

What are you doing out of bed?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I get out of bed this time everyday these days. Biggest benefit is I see all the American cards again live

Thread Information