Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What word or expression best describes Mayweather vs. McGregor?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What word or expression best describes Mayweather vs. McGregor?

Classy
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quintessential Mayweather.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chronic Diarrhea

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Worrying
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    I'll go with "current" because I think it reflects society quite well. Where Kardashians are famous and watching others play video games is entertainment.

Ron, I think you're forgetting your boxing history
    The sport has always been the original Entertainment Business, long before MMA or wrestling.

Everybody knows about the Ali 'fight' against the Japanese wrestler, which was under mixed rules so it was even more farcical than this fight.

What about Floyd Patterson defending the undisputed heavyweight title against a guy having his first pro fight? George Foreman fighting five guys one after another, Joe Louis and the 'Bum of the Month' club, the fearsome Jack Johnson defending against the current middleweight champ, Roberto Duran fighting a bear, Jack Dempsey defending against a guy he knew was terminally ill ..... hell, even Rocky Balboa fought Thunderlips!

I'd use the word 'normal', 'historic', 'typical' or 'traditional'

As PT Barnum said well over a hundred years ago (while promoting a Jack Dempsey fight), "there's a sucker born every minute'

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    I
    I'll go with "current" because I think it reflects society quite well. Where Kardashians are famous and watching others play video games is entertainment.

The sport has always been the original Entertainment Business, long before MMA or wrestling.

Everybody knows about the Ali 'fight' against the Japanese wrestler, which was under mixed rules so it was even more farcical than this fight.

What about Floyd Patterson defending the undisputed heavyweight title against a guy having his first pro fight? George Foreman fighting five guys one after another, Joe Louis and the 'Bum of the Month' club, the fearsome Jack Johnson defending against the current middleweight champ, Roberto Duran fighting a bear, Jack Dempsey defending against a guy he knew was terminally ill ..... hell, even Rocky Balboa fought Thunderlips!

As PT Barnum said well over a hundred years ago (while promoting a Jack Dempsey fight), "there's a sucker born every minute'

You would not believe the amount of grief I have got for suggesting the same thing in the Malinaggi and FMJ/McGregor main threads.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I

I remember my history well. And never before has over a half a billion dollars been made on an exhibition. I don't begrudge the fighters a bit. With this money they had to do it. I just find the reason people care about this fight humorous.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I

I remember my history well. And never before has over a half a billion dollars been made on an exhibition. I don't begrudge the fighters a bit. With this money they had to do it. I just find the reason people care about this fight humorous.
    I agree with Ron. If they were making a million or 2 million, I probably wouldn't give a fuck.( Jesus , talking about a million or 2 like it's peanuts, that's how crazy this shit is.)
    I would also add that to quote the above examples in order to justify this carnival is wrong. Those examples are wrong and they don't make this circus more right.
    When WW2 started, they didn't say, "well we had WW1, so why not!" Sorry to add a facetious example about 2 very sad times in history, but I'm just trying to make the point.
    Ps. @X your final sentence quoting P T Barnum is 100% directed at somebody I've been having a Mild discussion with on the other thread!
    Don't you agree @Beanz?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I already voted but you get the general idea . Just pass me some corn dogs and mustard

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    I

I agree with Ron. If they were making a million or 2 million, I probably wouldn't give a fuck.( Jesus , talking about a million or 2 like it's peanuts, that's how crazy this shit is.)
    I would also add that to quote the above examples in order to justify this carnival is wrong. Those examples are wrong and they don't make this circus more right.
    When WW2 started, they didn't say, "well we had WW1, so why not!" Sorry to add a facetious example about 2 very sad times in history, but I'm just trying to make the point.
    Ps. @X your final sentence quoting P T Barnum is 100% directed at somebody I've been having a Mild discussion with on the other thread!
    Don't you agree @Beanz?
    God, you really are clueless
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I already voted but you get the general idea . Just pass me some corn dogs and mustard
    Spicoli WINS

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    I

Don't you agree @Beanz?
    Nice little soundbite. Pretty meaningless and lacking explanation though.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    I

Don't you agree @Beanz?
    Nice little soundbite. Pretty meaningless and lacking explanation though.
    Let me hold your hand then.

X's quote of Barnum is actually a misquote wrongly attributed to Barnum and actually made by his competitor David Hannum. It was made by Hannum in reference to a copy of a statue of a giant (supposedly of the Nephilim referred to in the Bible who were part of the reason for Noah's flood) made by Barnum. What makes the story even more interesting is not the fact that Barnums copy of the statue was a fake but that Hannum tried to sue Barnum for making a copy of it and claiming that Hannum had sold it to him. Hannum then tried to sue Barnum who by now was claiming that Hannums statue was the fake. It went to court and George Hull came forward and admitted that actually Hannums statue was a fake he had made and then buried to be discovered and Barnums statue was a copy of this fake.

So your idea that boxing is some pure thing separate from entertainment and the Tex Rickard ,Don King,Bob Arum and now Floyd are somehow aberrations and that selling a fight as a spectacle is wrong and making too much money from it is immoral is daft. This is how it works. You are the sucker for believing otherwise. There is a reason that I have had Jem Mace as my profile picture here since day one. The history of boxing and carnivals, circuses etc is something that I hold close to my heart. My Dad was the first generation of his mothers family to not live in a caravan so you may think that is progress ,but that is just your opinion. Bare knuckle fighting and Gypsies are incredibly important in the history of boxing even now in the age of Warren , the Furies, BJS etc and also in gyms and stables all across the country so you can keep your condescension to yourself. Exactly the same as your idea that each matchup should be meaningful and balanced and carried out according to what your very narrow idea of what boxing should be is.

Nobody is asking you to pay for it. I won't be paying for it and I may not even watch it but i am not about to take the moral high ground and pretend that it is somehow an outrage either.

I support boxing in my day job from amateur clubs to pro cards and I find no contradiction in this fight happening. You have the Olympics, God knows how many governing bodies and contests at every level to suit everyone but it is never going to be sanitised and uniform, and thank fuck for that in a homogonised health and safety first world.

They are both still getting in a ring under modern boxing rules to have a fight. That is not quite the same as a celebrity getting exposure for simply being alive and farting. Will it be a fair or even contest? Probably not by far the MAJORITY of fights never are. That is why upsets happen. It is the appeal that makes many a punter pony up for their ticket.

Maybe the word to sum it all up is really

"meh"

rather than

"OMFG!" one way or the other
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

@Beanz, a few things come to mind.
    1. Thanks for the history lesson. Google and cut and paste are wonderful 21st century additions to modern technology.
    2. Thanks again for your life story. Although I don't really see the relevance to this.
    3. You make a lot of assumptions about Me and other people.
    4. You're still a mug. 😂
    Have a nice day.

Thread Information