Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are the Beatles overrated?

If it weren't for the Everly Brothers there would be no Beatles sorry to break the news

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    No

The end

Elvis was mind
    Hmmm let me think about that for a second....

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    If it weren't for the Everly Brothers there would be no Beatles sorry to break the news
    No one said the Beatles didn't have influenced but without the Beatles roger waters said he wouldn't have been able to do what pink Floyd did. Every band since 1964 has been influenced by the Beatles

El Kabong Guest

Without The Kingston Trio and Chuck Berry there's no Beach Boys

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I recently got Sirius radio and they have a Beatle channel. It's phenomenal. They play the whole catalog along with bands that influenced the Beatles and bands influenced by the Beatles. It's a great station

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I recently got Sirius radio and they have a Beatle channel. It's phenomenal. They play the whole catalog along with bands that influenced the Beatles and bands influenced by the Beatles. It's a great station
    The Beatles had an immediate impact on Badfinger which was a band with a ton of promise but Pete Ham and Tom Evans both committed suicide...very sad. Paul and George produced a couple of Badfinger's hits.

Also it must be said that individually The Beatles had very impressive solo careers: Lennon doing the old school Rock & R&B stuff, Paul doing the catchy stuff, George doing the guitar focused twangy country rock/spiritual stuff, and Ringo just futzing around being Ringo with his All-Stars.
    Last edited by El Kabong; 08-12-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    The Beatles had an immediate impact on Badfinger which was a band with a ton of promise but Pete Ham and Tom Evans both committed suicide...very sad. Paul and George produced a couple of Badfinger's hits.
    Yeah, Paul picked them out along with James Taylor they started with Apple 🍎

El Kabong Guest

Also you can't help but mention Roy Orbison the pipes on that dude....crazy

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also you can't help but mention Roy Orbison the pipes on that dude....crazy
    He was great. I also loved his stint with the traveling wilburys Harrison, Orbison, petty, Lynn and who ever im forgetting oh shit I forgot Dylan
    Last edited by walrus; 08-12-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From the age of 3 I was obsessed with Queen, I mean full on obsessed, I point blank refused to listen to anything else...other than David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust) and that was only because he did Under Pressure, therefore I classed him as a friend of the band.

At the age of 11 I think it would have been, I heard Live Forever by Oasis, that changed my life, all of a sudden I had 2 bands in my life, Queen and Oasis, listening to interviews with Oasis in the early days it was Beatles this, Beatles that, Lennon = God etc

When my mom and dad left for work in the morning whilst I was getting myself ready for school I thought I would go crazy and see what was so great about these beetle dudes, I put revolver on, my head just wouldn't acclimatize to it, I mean Tomorrow Never Knows, Eleanor Rigby, Love You To, it ain't the sort of thing you expect a 12 year old to get.

I persevered with that album for fucking ages and just couldn't get it, at the time in my head it was obviously their best album purely because of the cover, I mean Rubber Soul, Abbey Road etc just looked boring (we didn't have Sgt Peppers on CD)

After about 2 months of trying to force myself to enjoy Revolver I thought I'd stick Abbey Road on...FUCK ME did my whole world changed within the space of 4 songs, Come Together, Something, Maxwells Silver Hammer, Oh Darling, I was fucking hooked, Revolver made sense, Oasis made sense, Queen made sense, Bowie made sense, the fucking universe itself made sense, I was fucking blown away, by the end of the 4th track I had to go to school, I couldn't get it out of my head, I couldn't tell my mom n dad that I was listening to it, that was embarrassing ''Oh by the way mom, dad, I've been listening to that old shit that you have on CD'' I thought I would have been laughed out of the house

I used to practically push my mom out of the front door in the morning so I could blast the first 4 tracks of Abbey Road, then I managed to hit the skip button and slowly worked my way through the rest of the album, then I did Revolver (properly) and then Rubber Soul, then A Hard Days Night etc, about 12 months later my dad said 'you should listen to The Beatles if you like Oasis so much, at this point it was just a thing, before school it was Beatles time, it was my time, I just said 'oh I do, I always listen to them' he just shrugged his shoulders and walked off.

Once I'd exhausted The Beatles I worked my way around everyone, The Kinks, The Small Faces, Dusty Springfield, The Who, The Beach Boys, at this time I was getting into the heavier stuff in a big way as well Zeppelin, Sabbath etc

All in all without The Beatles I probably would have got sucked into that black hole of music that is dance or trance or whatever, yeah The Beatles made me an outcast at school cuz I never got Alice Deejay or ATB - Till I come, but where music was concerned I was the happiest outcast around.

I'm 32 now and The Beatles are still number 3 on my most played bands on Last FM (number one is the Drive By Truckers, number two is Nick Cave)

El Kabong Guest

Oh Queen is fucking epic! Bowie was amazing, The Kinks, hell the entire British Invasion of the 1960's was amazing so much talent!

Spencer Davis - Gimme Some Lovin' is one of the greatest individual records ever made. By the way, Steve Winwood, AMAZING talent so underrated.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh Queen is fucking epic! Bowie was amazing, The Kinks, hell the entire British Invasion of the 1960's was amazing so much talent!

Spencer Davis - Gimme Some Lovin' is one of the greatest individual records ever made. By the way, Steve Winwood, AMAZING talent so underrated.
    I disagree slightly there El Kabs, anyone who knows anything about music classes Stevie Winwood pretty highly, I mean just listen to the Blind Faith album, if you can listen to Blind Faith live at Hyde Park, it's fucking great, I certainly don't think he's underrated amongst the crowd that matters.

I suppose you could say the same about Paul Rogers the people who know music know how good he is the people who don't know music don't know him but they don't matter.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post

I disagree slightly there El Kabs, anyone who knows anything about music classes Stevie Winwood pretty highly, I mean just listen to the Blind Faith album, if you can listen to Blind Faith live at Hyde Park, it's fucking great, I certainly don't think he's underrated amongst the crowd that matters.

I suppose you could say the same about Paul Rogers the people who know music know how good he is the people who don't know music don't know him but they don't matter.
    Well there's the thing, by musicians he's not underrated, by fans on the other hand he doesn't get mentioned as often as he should.

Thread Information