Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nathan Cleverly-Badou Jack - Excellent fight! (Floyd undercard).

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Nathan Cleverly-Badou Jack - Excellent fight! (Floyd undercard).

Excellent fight.

Cleverly fought like a demon last time forcing the excellent badass vet Brahmer to swallow, even though the German is past his sell by date. And before that had a good punchup with Fonfara, although that form has taken a few knocks, but still, he fought for half the fight without a nose.

I see many American fans think this is a mismatch (surprise surprise ) yet Jack is moving up in weight, doesn't have a great output and isn't Julian Jackson.

This is Jack's form (last ten fights) - Lost TKO 1, Drawn 3-times, MD win, SD win, two UD's and two stoppages against borderline journeymen. So even when this man wins he doesn't win big, which is solely based on his steady-eddie style, he's not a sparko artist and benefitted from being a massive strong supermiddle.

Cleverly is gonna bring the fight to him throwing a million punches which will guarantee rounds in the bank (with fair judges). So barring getting knocked out, which doesn't look likely on paper, all he has to worry about is whether or not he gets a fair shake in America/Vegas, as even though Jack will be the more precise, slicker fighter the rounds will be a constant coin-flip of volume-vs-eye catching shots.
    Last edited by Fenster; 08-12-2017 at 12:48 AM.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Excellent fight. Cleverly fought like a demon last time forcing the excellent old German to swallow, even though Brahmer is past his sell by date. And before that had a good punchup with Fonfara, although that form has taken a few knocks, but still, he fought for half the fight without a nose.I see many American fans think this is a mismatch (surprise surprise ) yet Jack is moving up in weight, doesn't have a great output and isn't Julian Jackson.This is Jack's form (last ten fights) - Lost TKO 1, Drawn 3-times, MD win, SD win, two UD's and two stoppages against borderline journeymen. So even when this man wins he doesn't win big, which is solely based on his steady-eddie style, he's not a sparko artist and benefitted from being a massive strong supermiddle.Cleverly is gonna bring the fight to him throwing a million punches which will guarantee rounds in the bank (with fair judges). So barring getting knocked out, which doesn't look likely on paper, all he has to worry about is whether or not he gets a fair shake in America/Vegas.
    Only seen Cleverly a time or two, but he's a very courageous and capable boxer. Saw Jack a time or two as well and he's a rugged puncher. Felt he won his last fight against the 168 lb titlist Brit whose name now escapes me. Anyway, this looks to be a good fight and it's a decent undercard overall imo. The classy and courageous Steve Cunningham is also fighting.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Nathan Cleverly-Badou Jack - Excellent fight! (Floyd undercard).

I bet they think they can beat Cleverly easy but this will be tough for Jack. I think Nathan is not using his boxing skills as much and is relying on his work rate and aggression but that should be enough to be Badou who is a good and capable fighter himself but he will be facing a real light heavy.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm already noticing that it depends what side of the pond you are as to how you see this fight and Americans are dissing Cleverley's record and Brits dissing Jack's. Bit out of order on both sides IMO.
    I like Cleverley and he's no pushover for anyone. Jack and his team probably think that this is the easiest intro to a divison above for a title , and they could be right. But he will have to work his nuts off for it. But Jack has shown his class by Beating Groves in a close fight and although only getting a draw against DeGale, he made a right fucking mess of him. That is top form in my book, alongside beating Dirrell.
    I hope I'm wrong , but if I had to pick a winner , I would just shade it to Jack. props to both of them for taking it though.
    might catch up with it on youtube a few days later, because nothing would make me buy OR stream that event.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nathan Cleverly: WBA title on line v Badou Jack on Mayweather-McGregor undercard

Britain's Nathan Cleverly will defend his WBA light-heavyweight title against Badou Jack on Saturday, 26 August.

The bout will take place on the Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor undercard in Las Vegas.

Welshman Cleverly said: "I've trained long and hard for this fight and I'm ready to be let off the leash. This is the biggest fight of my career."

Swede Jack, 33, is based in Las Vegas and has 12 knockouts in 21 wins, with one defeat and two draws.

Cleverly, 30, won the title by beating Juergen Braehmer in October 2016.

Jack's super-middleweight unification fight with Britain's James DeGale ended in a controversial majority draw in January 2017.

He is moving up a weight after holding the WBC super-middleweight crown for two years.

Jack said: "I'm getting ready to take that belt, and win a title in my second weight class."

If Cleverly - whose record is 30 wins, including 16 knockouts, and three defeats - wins, he must defend the belt against Russian Dmitry Bivol.

According to WBA rules, a champion has 120 days to fight a mandatory challenger, and that deadline has expired.

Russian Bivol, 26, claimed the interim championship in May 2016 by defeating Felix Valera, and has won all 11 of his professional bouts.

The World Boxing Association says Cleverly and Bivol's teams have 30 days - from 27 July, 2017 - to reach an agreement or the fight will be called to purse bids.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/wales/40893971

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Excellent fight.

Cleverly fought like a demon last time forcing the excellent badass vet Brahmer to swallow, even though the German is past his sell by date. And before that had a good punchup with Fonfara, although that form has taken a few knocks, but still, he fought for half the fight without a nose.

I see many American fans think this is a mismatch (surprise surprise ) yet Jack is moving up in weight, doesn't have a great output and isn't Julian Jackson.

This is Jack's form (last ten fights) - Lost TKO 1, Drawn 3-times, MD win, SD win, two UD's and two stoppages against borderline journeymen. So even when this man wins he doesn't win big, which is solely based on his steady-eddie style, he's not a sparko artist and benefitted from being a massive strong supermiddle.

Cleverly is gonna bring the fight to him throwing a million punches which will guarantee rounds in the bank (with fair judges). So barring getting knocked out, which doesn't look likely on paper, all he has to worry about is whether or not he gets a fair shake in America/Vegas, as even though Jack will be the more precise, slicker fighter the rounds will be a constant coin-flip of volume-vs-eye catching shots.

You’ve made a convincing case for Cleverley and its all true.

When I first thought of this fight my immediate reaction was that Jack has too much quality to lose to a guy who got beat by Fonfara, outpointed by Bellew and blown away by Kovalev. However its correct as you say that Jack has had a lot of mixed results and rarely gets the job done decisively. I think this will be another fight where the decision is debated whichever way it goes.

I would say that despite the draws with Bute and Degale I think Jack deserved the wins and if he had got the decisions they would be two noticeable wins on his record that would put him in a different light. George Groves is a quality fighter and Jack beat him with abit to spare, Dirrell was a nice win too.

Nathans best win was probably that injury stoppage over an old Brahemer or his close win over Bellew. I do like Nathan though and if he utilised his left hand abit more instead of leading with the face he would have had more success in his career. He throws plenty and has a good engine but Jack is physically very strong. Even at light heavyweight I believe Jack will be hard to budge so Nathan shouldn’t just plough away with his head down round after round looking to wear him down. That’s what I think hes going to try to do unfortunately. Hes got to use his brains abit more in this one and respect Jacks strength up close and take advantage of Badous lower output.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jack has already beat two British fighters (he was robbed against Degale) and this will be his third.

Cleverly was well beaten by Fonfara, who was wiped out himself by Smith and Stevenson.

Easy decision win for Jack

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good call getting the excuses in early. It ignores history, that Jack is more likely to get a win taken from him than gifted to him. If history matters.

I always enjoy a fighter like Jack that is constantly underrated, they make that cheddar for the betters.

What's the line on this fight in the U.K.? Does it match Vegas?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I cant really remember the De Gale fight, am I right in thinking the De Gale was bossing it and then gassed badly and done well to hang on till the end by which point the cards were pretty close?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    I cant really remember the De Gale fight, am I right in thinking the De Gale was bossing it and then gassed badly and done well to hang on till the end by which point the cards were pretty close?
    Didn't he get his teeth knocked out

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cleverly is just not that good. He is decent but I believe he has seen better days. Jack isn't great by any means, but he is a solid fighter with solid skills. I don't know if there will be a stoppage, but Jack should win this one pretty easily

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Yes that is exactly how it went and the teeth knocked out. Bodou was also knocked down.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well the Irish and Welsh will be tuning in for this card. They'll both have a reason to drink afterwards...

Not that they need one

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Good call getting the excuses in early. It ignores history, that Jack is more likely to get a win taken from him than gifted to him. If history matters.

I always enjoy a fighter like Jack that is constantly underrated, they make that cheddar for the betters.

What's the line on this fight in the U.K.? Does it match Vegas?
    Personally , I don't think this fight gains much interest from the mainstream over here. Boxing fans obviously like the fight, but it doesn't make massive waves. Jack isn't a massive name over here, despite beating Groves and (maybe) Degale. And Cleverley has for whatever reason, never Had a massive following. Personally I like the guy.
    It's funny , but if a Brit beat Groves, smashed DeGale teeth out , beat Dirrell and at least drew with AA, He would be seen as the P4P #1 .
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Jack's mob are right in their thinking, Cleverly is there for the taking and beating him will positions Jack for one of the proper fights at 175. Jack has made good improvements on a fight by fight basis and I thought he was a close but clear winner of both the Groves and DeGale fights. The fact that he got chinned in a round isnt going away but he stood up to anything Groves and DeGale could throw his way, both respectable punchers. Although a weight class up, Cleverly goes too much with volume, he doesn't put a lot of stink on his punches. Jack on points.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Thread Information