Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Floyd finally retired?

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    If Floyd was THE GREATEST as he claims 24/7/365 then why fight Hatton at 147 instead of 140? Why wait until Cotto has 2 losses to fight him? Why fight Shane Mosley in 2010? Why fight Oscar De la Hoya in 2007? Where's Kostya Tszyu on his record? I'm looking I don't see Kostya. Where is Paul Williams? Where's Margarito?
    Wasn't Hatton already fighting at 147 when he fought Floyd?
    Just had a look, he had fought there previously but hed moved back down to light welter before the Floyd fight
    Also Hatton looked rubbish struggling to win the title at welterweight. Hatton relied on bullying and roughing up his opponents at light welter and he could not do that as effectively at welterweight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

If Floyd was THE GREATEST as he claims 24/7/365 then why fight Hatton at 147 instead of 140? Why wait until Cotto has 2 losses to fight him? Why fight Shane Mosley in 2010? Why fight Oscar De la Hoya in 2007? Where's Kostya Tszyu on his record? I'm looking I don't see Kostya. Where is Paul Williams? Where's Margarito?
    Just had a look, he had fought there previously but hed moved back down to light welter before the Floyd fight
    Ricky fought Luis Collazo at 147 before the Floyd fight, and he looked like shit. He fought again at 140 and after that Floyd was ready to fight him......at 147.

Hatton like Arturo Gatti was one of those guys who just bulks up and out muscles and overpowers an opponent now I'm not saying Ricky would have beaten Floyd at 140, but I AM saying Floyd didn't face THE BEST Ricky Hatton just like he didn't face THE BEST Miguel Cotto or Mosley or De la Hoya. And there are guys he never fought, plenty of them in his era who were extremely worthy of a shot at him and why not? Williams, Tszyu, Margarito....I get that not EVERY fight gets made, but come on when Floyd fought Henry Bruseles Miguel Cotto was right there in the crowd watching and waiting for his chance....which came 7 years and 2 big losses later.

When Frazier beat Ali Foreman IMMEDIATELY fought Frazier, when Foreman whupped Frazier, Ali IMMEDIATELY fought Big George...the true GREATS fight the best out there and don't fucking cherry pick.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ricky fought Luis Collazo at 147 before the Floyd fight, and he looked like shit. He fought again at 140 and after that Floyd was ready to fight him......at 147.

Hatton like Arturo Gatti was one of those guys who just bulks up and out muscles and overpowers an opponent now I'm not saying Ricky would have beaten Floyd at 140, but I AM saying Floyd didn't face THE BEST Ricky Hatton just like he didn't face THE BEST Miguel Cotto or Mosley or De la Hoya. And there are guys he never fought, plenty of them in his era who were extremely worthy of a shot at him and why not? Williams, Tszyu, Margarito....I get that not EVERY fight gets made, but come on when Floyd fought Henry Bruseles Miguel Cotto was right there in the crowd watching and waiting for his chance....which came 7 years and 2 big losses later.

When Frazier beat Ali Foreman IMMEDIATELY fought Frazier, when Foreman whupped Frazier, Ali IMMEDIATELY fought Big George...the true GREATS fight the best out there and don't fucking cherry pick.
    You seem to remember just enough history to paint a picture that is completely dishonest.

Everything you listed can easily be explained except Paul Williams.

Margarito and Cotto, when Floyd fought Gatti Cotto's people were approached about a Floyd/Cotto fight and they said they weren't interested at this time. Later when Floyd was still with Arum he said he would fight Margarito for 8 million, Cotto for 10 or ODLH for 15. Arum said the money wasn't there. So Floyd left. This is all in Dan Rafael's archives. Floyd had a small window to buy out of his contract that would expire in a matter of 2 months. Arum offered him Margarito but it came with the addendum of 1)a contract extension and 2)Arum said he wasn't willing to negotiate an ODLH fight ever. So Floyd paid 750k and was a free agent. Only then did Arum offer him Margarito for 8 million free and clear. Which obviously is really a slap in the face offer of 7,250,000. And how about "the money isn't there", well Floyd fought ODLH for far more than 15 million and Cotto for 40 million. So, the money was there.

But speaking of ODLH, Oscar said for years he wouldn't fight Floyd because of respect for Sr. also easy to find. So again, timing isn't Floyd's fault.

Mosley, Floyd offered Shane the fight before he caught Oscar. Shane said he didn't want to step on Oscars toes. Then Floyd offered him 6 million after fighting Vargas. Shane said he had a toothache, said he needed a vacation, he fought one month later than Floyd offered and for I believe 1.5(might have been 2). So again we have the other guy turning down the fight for years.

Hatton, check the night Judah lost to Baldimir. You can find Ray Hatton went out to speak to the press and since Floyd was planning to fight Judah next Ray said they fully expected to have ANOTHER contract offer on their desk in the morning.(because people didn't think the Judah fight would go ahead) And he also said about this contract "which we will decline". They turned down an expected offer, another offer, before they even saw it. Is that the action of people looking at a fight?

Oh, and Tszyu, wrong network but they were already trying to work that out before KT lost to Hatton and ruined that possibility.

In 21 years and 5 divisions there are going to be some guys missed. But people are wrong about who. Floyd should have fought Cassamayor, should have fought Paul Williams and should have fought Winky Wright. Those were the challenges. Not a bum like Margarito that Floyd actually agreed to fight and Arum declined it.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know why this is always a debate. Floyd said in one of those 24/7 showtime interviews that part of his greatness is picking his opponents. He would never pick someone he thought he might lose against. Floyd said that, not his detractors. I dislike Floyd but I can't disagree, despite his admitted cherry picking that he is one of the best of his era. I think it's a shame he dodged butterbean but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the ring one more time. The money will be on the table. No way he could wait two years and he swore up and down to Stephen A Smith that he won't fight again but I think it would be easy to lie to Stephen A Smith cause he is a twat

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I don't know why this is always a debate. Floyd said in one of those 24/7 showtime interviews that part of his greatness is picking his opponents. He would never pick someone he thought he might lose against. Floyd said that, not his detractors. I dislike Floyd but I can't disagree, despite his admitted cherry picking that he is one of the best of his era. I think it's a shame he dodged butterbean but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the ring one more time. The money will be on the table. No way he could wait two years and he swore up and down to Stephen A Smith that he won't fight again but I think it would be easy to lie to Stephen A Smith cause he is a twat
    I believe that he more cherry picked later in his career. Early in his career, I don't believe that he did. I think that basically every fighter now cherry picks once they become a superstar. They go through fighting the best coming up and then slow down a bit once they reach the top and pick beatable opponents for the most part. That's the business of boxing unfortunately

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I believe that he more cherry picked later in his career. Early in his career, I don't believe that he did. I think that basically every fighter now cherry picks once they become a superstar. They go through fighting the best coming up and then slow down a bit once they reach the top and pick beatable opponents for the most part. That's the business of boxing unfortunately
    Well to your point his statement was picking his opponents is part of his genius. He didn't say when that started but just that he did it. The worst example is berto, how the hell did that one happen.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    Well to your point his statement was picking his opponents is part of his genius. He didn't say when that started but just that he did it. The worst example is berto, how the hell did that one happen.
    I just think it's near impossible to make superstar status by cherry picking the beginning of your career. You have to have multiple defining fights before you get there.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    You seem to remember just enough history to paint a picture that is completely dishonest.

Everything you listed can easily be explained except Paul Williams.

Margarito and Cotto, when Floyd fought Gatti Cotto's people were approached about a Floyd/Cotto fight and they said they weren't interested at this time. Later when Floyd was still with Arum he said he would fight Margarito for 8 million, Cotto for 10 or ODLH for 15. Arum said the money wasn't there. So Floyd left. This is all in Dan Rafael's archives. Floyd had a small window to buy out of his contract that would expire in a matter of 2 months. Arum offered him Margarito but it came with the addendum of 1)a contract extension and 2)Arum said he wasn't willing to negotiate an ODLH fight ever. So Floyd paid 750k and was a free agent. Only then did Arum offer him Margarito for 8 million free and clear. Which obviously is really a slap in the face offer of 7,250,000. And how about "the money isn't there", well Floyd fought ODLH for far more than 15 million and Cotto for 40 million. So, the money was there.

But speaking of ODLH, Oscar said for years he wouldn't fight Floyd because of respect for Sr. also easy to find. So again, timing isn't Floyd's fault.

Mosley, Floyd offered Shane the fight before he caught Oscar. Shane said he didn't want to step on Oscars toes. Then Floyd offered him 6 million after fighting Vargas. Shane said he had a toothache, said he needed a vacation, he fought one month later than Floyd offered and for I believe 1.5(might have been 2). So again we have the other guy turning down the fight for years.

Hatton, check the night Judah lost to Baldimir. You can find Ray Hatton went out to speak to the press and since Floyd was planning to fight Judah next Ray said they fully expected to have ANOTHER contract offer on their desk in the morning.(because people didn't think the Judah fight would go ahead) And he also said about this contract "which we will decline". They turned down an expected offer, another offer, before they even saw it. Is that the action of people looking at a fight?

Oh, and Tszyu, wrong network but they were already trying to work that out before KT lost to Hatton and ruined that possibility.

In 21 years and 5 divisions there are going to be some guys missed. But people are wrong about who. Floyd should have fought Cassamayor, should have fought Paul Williams and should have fought Winky Wright. Those were the challenges. Not a bum like Margarito that Floyd actually agreed to fight and Arum declined it.
    Alright then, let's play this game

"when Floyd fought Gatti Cotto's people were approached about a Floyd/Cotto fight and they said they weren't interested at this time."
    -Citation?
    -What weight class 140 or 147?

"Later when Floyd was still with Arum he said he would fight Margarito for 8 million, Cotto for 10 or ODLH for 15. Arum said the money wasn't there."
    -Citation?

"Floyd had a small window to buy out of his contract that would expire in a matter of 2 months. Arum offered him Margarito but it came with the addendum of 1)a contract extension and 2)Arum said he wasn't willing to negotiate an ODLH fight ever. So Floyd paid 750k and was a free agent. Only then did Arum offer him Margarito for 8 million free and clear. Which obviously is really a slap in the face offer of 7,250,000."
    -Citation?
    -He still NEVER fought Margarito
    -So you blame Bob Arum for hindering Floyd's choices of opponents.....what happened after he left Top Rank?

"well Floyd fought ODLH for far more than 15 million and Cotto for 40 million. So, the money was there."
    -I don't care about the money I care that of the talent in his era Floyd didn't bother to fight them and/or waited until the right moment to fight them like until Cotto had 2 losses or De la Hoya was semi-retired

"But speaking of ODLH, Oscar said for years he wouldn't fight Floyd because of respect for Sr. also easy to find. So again, timing isn't Floyd's fault."
    -Then you won't have trouble providing the source for that claim
    - Maybe the timing wasn't Floyd's fault but we do understand that we had a 34 year old Oscar vs a prime Floyd sooo it's not the same De la Hoya that went toe to toe with Shane or Tito

"So again we have the other guy turning down the fight for years."
    -Convenient

"And he also said about this contract "which we will decline". They turned down an expected offer, another offer, before they even saw it. Is that the action of people looking at a fight?"
    -Floyd turned down the fights Bob Arum offered him, turnabout is fair play

"Oh, and Tszyu, wrong network but they were already trying to work that out before KT lost to Hatton and ruined that possibility."
    -Citation?

"Not a bum like Margarito that Floyd actually agreed to fight and Arum declined it."
    -Oh he was a bum at that time was he? He was beating young undefeated fighters like it was nothing, yes NOW we know about him being a cheater, but back then he was considered an extremely dangerous fight for Floyd and we didn't see it, golly gee I wonder why? Oh nah, nah, it was Bob Arum's fault that didn't happen....yeah, sure thing

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you can argue all day to why Floyd didn't fight this fella and that fella, for this reason and that reason

thing is, when I look at floyds record I don't really see any big stand out wins considering the weights and point in time his fights happened (all covered in this thread)

Canelo was probably his best win past light welter do you think?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    you can argue all day to why Floyd didn't fight this fella and that fella, for this reason and that reason

thing is, when I look at floyds record I don't really see any big stand out wins considering the weights and point in time his fights happened (all covered in this thread)

Yes that was his best win considering it was at light middle as well.

El Kabong Guest

Yes, big win and full credit to him. I thought the Cotto fight was a good one too albeit I'd rather have seen undefeated Cotto vs Floyd, I'd rather have seen undefeated Cotto vs Pacquiao too or just Cotto with a trainer in the corner vs Pacquiao but hey that just goes to show I don't just shit on 1 dude for padding his record a bit, Floyd knew when to get the deals done for certain all credit to him.

One DOES wonder if Canelo was to beat GGG would Floyd be tempted for a rematch to capture the middleweight titles? I highly doubt it, 50-0-0 is a well rounded good solid retiring record...I doubt he'd have much trouble, but you never know and with any fighter you're always going to want to take that 1 step closer to greatness even if you're already considered a great.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, big win and full credit to him. I thought the Cotto fight was a good one too albeit I'd rather have seen undefeated Cotto vs Floyd, I'd rather have seen undefeated Cotto vs Pacquiao too or just Cotto with a trainer in the corner vs Pacquiao but hey that just goes to show I don't just shit on 1 dude for padding his record a bit, Floyd knew when to get the deals done for certain all credit to him.

One DOES wonder if Canelo was to beat GGG would Floyd be tempted for a rematch to capture the middleweight titles? I highly doubt it, 50-0-0 is a well rounded good solid retiring record...I doubt he'd have much trouble, but you never know and with any fighter you're always going to want to take that 1 step closer to greatness even if you're already considered a great.
    I would love to see that GGG would wipe him away.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I would love to see that GGG would wipe him away.
    I'd ask "Who?" but I want it to be both and so I'm just going to think it's both

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the cotto fight was one of floyds more entertaining fights and it was a lot closer than people make out, there wasn't too much between then

Cotto was past his peak tho by a couple to 5 years and had been beaten more clearly twice before
    Last edited by erics44; 09-01-2017 at 10:10 PM.
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the cotto fight was one of floyds more entertaining fights and it was a lot closer than people make out, there wasn't too much between then

Cotto was past his peak tho by a couple to 5 years and had been beaten more clearly twice before
    Same with Manny Pac, 5 years too late. I think there is a theme here with Floyd's opponents.

Thread Information