Likes Likes:  18
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Floyd finally retired?

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Is Floyd finally retired?

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    the cotto fight was one of floyds more entertaining fights and it was a lot closer than people make out, there wasn't too much between then

Cotto was past his peak tho by a couple to 5 years and had been beaten more clearly twice before
    Wow, mark this date on the calendar I absolutely agree with everything in that post!

Cotto was always going to be a tough fight for Floyd because he could bang, but he could box and he could switch up righty to southpaw and he could JAB....however by the time Floyd fought him he had some fire taken out of him AND had switched trainers which I think he's never been the same since that time anyway...how can you fully trust anyone in your corner when a trainer who is your blood relative allowed for Margarito to load his wraps? That was a turning point in Cotto's career where he basically had excellence stolen from him...not that he would have remained undefeated forever but Undefeated Floyd vs Undefeated Cotto would have been the BIGGEST test for either fighter bar none Prime vs Prime no angles, no waiting until just the right moment, none of that bullshit. It would have certainly been a bigger feather in Floyd's cap than how it is now and Floyd had his troubles with Cotto and it's not seen as all that impressive of a win.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    the cotto fight was one of floyds more entertaining fights and it was a lot closer than people make out, there wasn't too much between then

Cotto was past his peak tho by a couple to 5 years and had been beaten more clearly twice before
    Wow, mark this date on the calendar I absolutely agree with everything in that post!

Cotto was always going to be a tough fight for Floyd because he could bang, but he could box and he could switch up righty to southpaw and he could JAB....however by the time Floyd fought him he had some fire taken out of him AND had switched trainers which I think he's never been the same since that time anyway...how can you fully trust anyone in your corner when a trainer who is your blood relative allowed for Margarito to load his wraps? That was a turning point in Cotto's career where he basically had excellence stolen from him...not that he would have remained undefeated forever but Undefeated Floyd vs Undefeated Cotto would have been the BIGGEST test for either fighter bar none Prime vs Prime no angles, no waiting until just the right moment, none of that bullshit. It would have certainly been a bigger feather in Floyd's cap than how it is now and Floyd had his troubles with Cotto and it's not seen as all that impressive of a win.
    Floyd had seen Cotto being stopped and fought aggressively to try and do the same. Floyd got a bloodied nose for his troubles and took more chances than I have ever seen since moving up to the weight. It was an entertaining fight but am sure Floyd was disappointed that he did not stop Cotto.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Floyd had seen Cotto being stopped and fought aggressively to try and do the same. Floyd got a bloodied nose for his troubles and took more chances than I have ever seen since moving up to the weight. It was an entertaining fight but am sure Floyd was disappointed that he did not stop Cotto.
    Oh yeah of course but the caveats in THOSE fights were Margarito had loaded wraps and in the Pacquiao fight he didn't even have a trainer in his corner.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo Alvarez would have knocked Conor McGregor out 'in one round or two rounds'

Golden Boy Promotions founder Oscar Del La Hoya believes Saul "Canelo" Alvarez would have taken far less time in finishing Conor McGregor than Floyd Mayweather did.

Mayweather took on McGregor on Saturday night (26 August) as he defeated the Irishman via a 10th-round stoppage in a big-money fight that has been overshadowing Canelo's own upcoming middleweight title fight with Gennady Gennadyevich Golovkin on 16 September.

Del La Hoya was never a fan of The Money Fight and made no secret of what he thought about it just a couple of days before it took place.

Despite him previously claiming that the contest could ruin boxing, it turned out to be fairly entertaining and competitive with the "Notorious" receiving credit for going 10 rounds with Mayweather.

However, DeL La Hoya believes the only reason McGregor lasted that long was because "Money", who notably bet on himself finishing McGregor in under 9.5 rounds, let him.

"Because Mayweather let him," De La Hoya said on The MMA Hour. "The first four of five rounds, he let him do that. The punches are coming from different angles. It was a bit awkward to watch, actually."

Most popular: Shai Hope makes history at Headingley as West Indies seal memorable five-wicket win over England

The former boxer added that Canelo, who he promotes, would have knocked McGregor out early on and that combat sports fans will see what a true boxing match is next month.

"After seeing Saturday's fight, Canelo probably would have knocked [McGregor] out in one round or two rounds," he added. "Canelo is a knockout guy, he's a guy who's not gonna trick people into making a fight last longer than it should last."

"I'm glad all these people spent their hundred dollars on watching this event. Now on Sept. 16, they will know what two pure boxers will be demonstrating and showing. ... You'll find out what a boxing match is."

Despite not being a fan of the Mayweather vs McGregor match-up, Del La Hoya maintains that he respects anyone willing to step up and fight. However, he wants to see cross-code fights end from now on.

"I respect any fighter that gets into the ring, that's the bottomline," De La Hoya explained. "The fact that McGregor even tried, there's huge respect from my part to him."

"I respect the UFC, I respect any UFC fighter that's in the Octagon, I respect fighters that put their life on the line. What I'm trying to say is they're two different sports and I don't want to see anything like it again.

"I probably will even go to his fight or buy his next fight when he steps into the Octagon again, because he's an amazing guy."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/can...111634591.html
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Canelo Alvarez would have knocked Conor McGregor out 'in one round or two rounds'

Golden Boy Promotions founder Oscar Del La Hoya believes Saul "Canelo" Alvarez would have taken far less time in finishing Conor McGregor than Floyd Mayweather did.

Mayweather took on McGregor on Saturday night (26 August) as he defeated the Irishman via a 10th-round stoppage in a big-money fight that has been overshadowing Canelo's own upcoming middleweight title fight with Gennady Gennadyevich Golovkin on 16 September.

Del La Hoya was never a fan of The Money Fight and made no secret of what he thought about it just a couple of days before it took place.

Despite him previously claiming that the contest could ruin boxing, it turned out to be fairly entertaining and competitive with the "Notorious" receiving credit for going 10 rounds with Mayweather.

However, DeL La Hoya believes the only reason McGregor lasted that long was because "Money", who notably bet on himself finishing McGregor in under 9.5 rounds, let him.

"Because Mayweather let him," De La Hoya said on The MMA Hour. "The first four of five rounds, he let him do that. The punches are coming from different angles. It was a bit awkward to watch, actually."

Most popular: Shai Hope makes history at Headingley as West Indies seal memorable five-wicket win over England

The former boxer added that Canelo, who he promotes, would have knocked McGregor out early on and that combat sports fans will see what a true boxing match is next month.

"After seeing Saturday's fight, Canelo probably would have knocked [McGregor] out in one round or two rounds," he added. "Canelo is a knockout guy, he's a guy who's not gonna trick people into making a fight last longer than it should last."

"I'm glad all these people spent their hundred dollars on watching this event. Now on Sept. 16, they will know what two pure boxers will be demonstrating and showing. ... You'll find out what a boxing match is."

Despite not being a fan of the Mayweather vs McGregor match-up, Del La Hoya maintains that he respects anyone willing to step up and fight. However, he wants to see cross-code fights end from now on.

"I respect any fighter that gets into the ring, that's the bottomline," De La Hoya explained. "The fact that McGregor even tried, there's huge respect from my part to him."

"I respect the UFC, I respect any UFC fighter that's in the Octagon, I respect fighters that put their life on the line. What I'm trying to say is they're two different sports and I don't want to see anything like it again.

"I probably will even go to his fight or buy his next fight when he steps into the Octagon again, because he's an amazing guy."

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/can...111634591.html
    "Most popular: Shai Hope makes history at Headingley as West Indies seal memorable five-wicket win over England"
    Yeah, let's talk about this.
    But going back to Oscar's statement, I agree with him. Canelo would wipe McGregor out early. Styles make fights.
    But it doesn't really matter how you get the win, it's getting it that counts. And Floyd did say "it'll finish when I want to finish it."
    And guess what Oscar? Floyd beat Canelo.
    Still, Floyd was so shit that you lot can't stop talking about him after he's retired. Dear oh dear!
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope he does stay retired. I always knew he'd comeback for 50
    But at 40 he's past his prime and should stop while he's ahead.
    He could still beat Thurman, Spence or Crawford (maybe)
    And I'm sure he'd beat Danny Garcia or Jeff Horn
    But he should just call it a career and walk away IMO.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

From what I saw of Floyd, he is not beating a top WW anymore. He will only decline and he didn't look impressive against an MMA fighter. He is a shell of his former self.

Thread Information