Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is on your Radar to be the next Boxing Legend?

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Who is on your Radar to be the next Boxing Legend?

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Personality is an ingredient. It can be good (SRL) or bad (Floyd). No, it's not the only thing..... but it helps. You're right about Cotto. But one thing that helped him was his learning English through a lot of effort, gaining him the appreciation of many Stateside fans.
    Maybe it's just me personally but all I care about is the guy having big fights and winning big fights.....personality doesn't do much in a ring unless you're a pro wrestler

I agree 100%. But we're talking what makes a legend. Personality, whether we like it or not, tends to have a bearing on that. Imagine Ali without the personality.
    You mean I'd judge him on his record?!?! My God, the HORROR......it would mean that......JOE LOUIS was the true ALL-TIME GREAT! (which is exactly what I believe anyway)

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by KickMuck View Post
    Nobody for a long time i think can top what the likes of Floyd, Ali, Tyson Sugar Ray, Hagler RJJ etc have achieved but if you could pick one person, who currently stands out?

Pick one guy who you think has a chance.

All the guys you listed have one glaring thing in common. They're all American. That's the big factor that goes unsaid. Therefore, in looking at the next "Boxing Legend", one would probably have to start there. Right now that cuts the list way down to....... well..... zero. Why? Because you also need an outlandish personality to match. Floyd, Ali, Tyson... they all had it... and Sugar Ray and RJJ weren't too far off. Not so much Hagler, but then Hagler existed in a golden age for boxing. His list of opponents (like Sugar Ray) reads like a Who's Who of Boxing.

Deontay could've been that guy... but his boxing skills are too crude, and his list of opponents makes one yawn. He's too far along to change that now, so scratch him from the list. Crawford? Too bland of a personality and besides... only hardcore boxing fans know much of him.

So my short answer is no one, at the moment.
    Later in this thread I think you get "legend" mixed up with "superstar". Superstars sell, legends achieve. Part of what you say above is true, that legends tend to be Americans. But that is not from their ability to sell, it is the demands we put on them. Look at Spence, the minute he beat Brook people started clamoring for him to fight GGG. The request is unfair, but par for the course here. Or look at Gervonta Davis, as soon as he won his title people called for him to fight Loma. He may never be ready for that but he certainly isn't yet but people called for it. Or you can look at a recent foreign fighter like Calzaghe who had the talent to become a legend but didn't make the moves to become a legend. Great fighter, yes, legend, no. Because he didn't search out the opponents to become a legend.

Sometimes people don't get the chance, sometimes people don't have the ability, sometimes people don't make the chances. But many foreign fighters became legends because they did make the opportunity and the achievements. Duran, Arguello, Chavez, Lewis, Pacquiao, Morales etcetera.

That's why I suggested earlier that Loma might do it. He might have the talent, he surely has the opposition available. I'm not sure if he'll ever be a superstar, since Pacquiao and Crawfords numbers on the same platform destroyed his numbers. But he has the opportunity to be a legend.

I think GGG had the chance but he missed it by not fighting Ward before. Rigo had the chance but not the opportunity. Spence and Crawford will have the opportunity but will they have the ability? Ward has the opportunity but does he have the desire? Usyk has the opportunity but does he have the ability? AJ has the opportunity but will he have the opponents? Let's not forget Inoue, he has the ability but will he make the necessary moves?
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 09-01-2017 at 06:51 AM.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Nobody for a long time i think can top what the likes of Floyd, Ali, Tyson Sugar Ray, Hagler RJJ etc have achieved but if you could pick one person, who currently stands out?

All the guys you listed have one glaring thing in common. They're all American. That's the big factor that goes unsaid. Therefore, in looking at the next "Boxing Legend", one would probably have to start there. Right now that cuts the list way down to....... well..... zero. Why? Because you also need an outlandish personality to match. Floyd, Ali, Tyson... they all had it... and Sugar Ray and RJJ weren't too far off. Not so much Hagler, but then Hagler existed in a golden age for boxing. His list of opponents (like Sugar Ray) reads like a Who's Who of Boxing.

Deontay could've been that guy... but his boxing skills are too crude, and his list of opponents makes one yawn. He's too far along to change that now, so scratch him from the list. Crawford? Too bland of a personality and besides... only hardcore boxing fans know much of him.

Later in this thread I think you get "legend" mixed up with "superstar". Superstars sell, legends achieve. Part of what you say above is true, that legends tend to be Americans. But that is not from their ability to sell, it is the demands we put on them. Look at Spence, the minute he beat Brook people started clamoring for him to fight GGG. The request is unfair, but par for the course here. Or look at Gervonta Davis, as soon as he won his title people called for him to fight Loma. He may never be ready for that but he certainly isn't yet but people called for it. Or you can look at a recent foreign fighter like Calzaghe who had the talent to become a legend but didn't make the moves to become a legend. Great fighter, yes, legend, no. Because he didn't search out the opponents to become a legend.

Sometimes people don't get the chance, sometimes people don't have the ability, sometimes people don't make the chances. But many foreign fighters became legends because they did make the opportunity and the achievements. Duran, Arguello, Chavez, Lewis, Pacquiao, Morales etcetera.

That's why I suggested earlier that Loma might do it. He might have the talent, he surely has the opposition available. I'm not sure if he'll ever be a superstar, since Pacquiao and Crawfords numbers on the same platform destroyed his numbers. But he has the opportunity to be a legend.

I think GGG had the chance but he missed it by not fighting Ward before. Rigo had the chance but not the opportunity. Spence and Crawford will have the opportunity but will they have the ability? Ward has the opportunity but does he have the desire? Usyk has the opportunity but does he have the ability? AJ has the opportunity but will he have the opponents? Let's not forget Inoue, he has the ability but will he make the necessary moves?

Both terms are open to interpretation. But IMO legend surpasses superstar. There's been many more superstars than legends. To be a legend, you almost have to be a superstar first. In that regard I would disagree with your assessment that superstars "sell" while legends "achieve". Again, I consider superstardom a step on the way to legend. Some make it..... most don't. And again..... many factors have to come together to form a legend. Ability, achievements, superstar opponents and epic fights, desire, overcoming adversity, etc, etc, etc.

Today's fighters have more of an uphill climb to get to legend. Back in the day, SRL would no sooner fight a Benitez, when soon after he'd be fighting a Hearns..... or a Duran, a legend in his own right. There seemed to be a lot less empty posturing back then. Fights flowed. It almost took an act of Congress to get Floyd and Pacquiao together in the ring. It's all for profit's sake of course, but it waters down the achievements of today's stars when compared to the stars of yesterday.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post

Both terms are open to interpretation. But IMO legend surpasses superstar. There's been many more superstars than legends. To be a legend, you almost have to be a superstar first. In that regard I would disagree with your assessment that superstars "sell" while legends "achieve". Again, I consider superstardom a step on the way to legend. Some make it..... most don't. And again..... many factors have to come together to form a legend. Ability, achievements, superstar opponents and epic fights, desire, overcoming adversity, etc, etc, etc.

Today's fighters have more of an uphill climb to get to legend. Back in the day, SRL would no sooner fight a Benitez, when soon after he'd be fighting a Hearns..... or a Duran, a legend in his own right. There seemed to be a lot less empty posturing back then. Fights flowed. It almost took an act of Congress to get Floyd and Pacquiao together in the ring. It's all for profit's sake of course, but it waters down the achievements of today's stars when compared to the stars of yesterday.
    I agree legend surpasses superstar. But I don't think it's absolutely necessary to be a superstar. I don't remember Ricardo Lopez being a superstar, but I would call him a legend. I think generally yes they must be a superstar to attract the opponents. Like Mikey Garcia is looking at Danny Garcia and Cotto, but not looking at Spence because Spence isn't worth the trouble right now. But if Spence can beat a Thurman or Crawford he has the backup confirmation to the Brook fight, his "star" rises and fights will become more available.

Inoue will be introduced to the American audience next Saturday, he already has a decent resume and the perfect opponents to make the next step. And he's young. KO win Saturday, KO of Chocolatito and he's well on his way.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hahaha! Ali without the personality? Erm still an obvious legend. Someone seems to want reality TV star over sublime and great boxer. The resume speaks for itself. Ali could be mute and people would probably like him more and say 'Wow, what a record'. Same with Tyson. People liked the style and early on he acted pretty likeable. Saying you are going to eat some babies isn't what makes you a legend. Making great fights makes the legend. Pac has no personality really. It was the spectacular fights that got him there too.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really hope Crawford does it. He is still young and an incredible talent. At this point he is more of a boxing fan star but personally I would love to see him make it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Personality" doesn't just mean flash big mouth. Wlad played/is the perfect gentleman/sportsman, a role model, someone to look up to. Cue Joshua.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information