Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Frank Warren Fears Boxing Crash Unless Board Takes Control (plus too many PPV's)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Frank Warren Fears Boxing Crash Unless Board Takes Control (plus too many PPV's)

frank-warren-fears-boxing-crash-board-takes-control--120334

BOXING is on a high in Britain but there is a danger lurking that could end the boom.

It is time rival promoters stopped scheduling big fights on the same nights.

And it is time the British Boxing Board of Control actually did some controlling.

They have to step in to stop the madness as it is not fair on the public and if the public fall out of love with the sport then we are all bang in trouble.

TV channels are going up against each other and that means their audiences are split, which could put them off the sport as well as advertisers.

The Premier League don’t allow Sky Sports and BT Sport to show their games at the same time so why do the boxing authorities allow it?

Then ticket sales are hit because punters don’t know which show to go to and either buy one or the other or sit at home trying to watch both on TV.

Even sports editors of newspapers are left confused as to which fight night to give coverage to which means less exposure for a sport that craves it.

I’ve been around longer than all these promoters, managers and even most of the TV executives.
    So I know how it can all go wrong and this has all the markings of a crash coming.

Add to that the amount of pay-per-view events that are coming up and it is insane.

There are five PPV boxing cards arranged before the end of 2017 and there might still be more added to that.

Pay-per-view is supposedly for the biggest nights to help those involved get the money they deserve for putting it on the line.

The Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor clash was an event and they got away with it as that did big numbers, but what other events coming up are PPV worthy?

Asking fans to fork out time and time again will really hurt this sport so it is time for the board to act before it is too late.

But there is only one fight that is truly deserving of spending the extra cash and that is Saul Alvarez against Gennady Golovkin next Saturday.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Frank Warren Fears Boxing Crash Unless Board Takes Control (plus too many PPV's)

Whilst I actually agree with what old Frank is saying here I do like that final bit

'there are too many PPV's, its unfair on the public to make them pay for so many fights...except for mine of course, please buy my PPV fight'

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Frank Warren Fears Boxing Crash Unless Board Takes Control (plus too many PPV's)

Canelo v GGG is a big fight but ordinarily it would just be on their normal subscription channel at no extra ppv charge. Both fighters are not from UK and PPV should only be a last resort, huge fight with domestic interest that casual fans are genuinely interested in.

Sky are to blame by Warren and ITV have followed their model and screwing boxing fans over.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Canelo v GGG is a big fight but ordinarily it would just be on their normal subscription channel at no extra ppv charge. Both fighters are not from UK and PPV should only be a last resort, huge fight with domestic interest that casual fans are genuinely interested in.

Sky are to blame by Warren and ITV have followed their model and screwing boxing fans over.
    In all fairness it is no extra charge to subscribers, non Boxnation subscribers can see the fight with a one off payment without having to pay any sign up fees.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Frank is still the greatest ever hypocrite in the history of boxing.

The other day, in a IFL video, Eddie said boxing is about to get murdered by all the chancers doing their dough banging everything on PPV.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Warren is the same guy that had Hamed, Hatton and Calzaghe
    Stay at home and fight 35-40 bums before letting them loose
    PPV is nothing new in Boxing! Canelo vs Golovkin should be PPV.

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The whole ppv does limit the boxing fans. Besides Floyd it's really us fans who get the canelo v golovkin and such fights. I was talking to the guys at work this morning reminding them I wouldn't be in Saturday and they were asking who was fighting. I got excited as I thought they knew and I could have a conversation about boxing but nope, no one heard of golovkin or canelo. Obviously ppv is making a boat load of money for a few I just don't think it helps spread the word of boxing as a sport but at this point it would take a complete restructuring of the boxing business model to change it. I must say though it is more accessible than even a few years ago what with PBC and some other fights on network

Thread Information