Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Kosei Tanaka

This guy never seems to be talked about, why?

10 fights and he's a 2 weight world champion. Rated #1 in his division, 22 years old. Future is bright.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kosei Tanaka

Really enjoy watching him fight. His fight with Acosta was really good. His chin seems a little shaky a he's been dropped a couple of times. There was talk of a unification with Taguchi in December but Tanaka suffered orbital injuries in his last bout, so that's off for now.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's just flawed enough to be really exciting.

Just, at times he shows some amazing abilities. Like in the above fight in the 12th he feints and hops off to the side just like Loma with the brilliant balance.

Just thought such a fan friendly fighter deserves a thread

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    He's just flawed enough to be really exciting.

Just, at times he shows some amazing abilities. Like in the above fight in the 12th he feints and hops off to the side just like Loma with the brilliant balance.

Just thought such a fan friendly fighter deserves a thread
    Couldn't agree more. Some of these little guys deserve more love.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We are talking about him in this thread so what's your point ?

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If I was HBO or Showtime I would buy up all the smaller weights and have a competition. They will be a lot cheaper than the heavier weights, they have less ego and will try harder. The fights would be great and they would become household names.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    If I was HBO or Showtime I would buy up all the smaller weights and have a competition. They will be a lot cheaper than the heavier weights, they have less ego and will try harder. The fights would be great and they would become household names.
    HBO definitely needs to try something new. Their model the last few years of putting name fighters vs cheap no hope opponents has gotten them crushed. They are currently nearly irrelevant in boxing, when not so long ago HBO was king.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

HBO slashed their boxing budget dramatically which is why they're not really at the races anymore. But you've got to question what they're doing with the budget they do have left. They're showing Kovalev's next fight against a TBA, they're showing and have recently showed a bunch of similar fights. The superflyweight show a couple of weeks ago was a nice exception. They should go for more bang for the buck cards like that with the money they have to spend.

I don't understand why they didn't show this cruiser/supermiddle/whatever it is world boxing series thing. It's on Saturdays and they could have bought it for cheap.
    Last edited by Kirkland Laing; 09-24-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seems like Tanaka is set to vacate and heading to 112.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Looks like his people hope to lay the groundwork of an immediate 112 top ranking, being the wbo chances are Tanaka is now there pre 112 debut. We could use more of the lower weight guys doing impressive things on mainstays like HBO but they went the way of names for names sake long ago and have recently imo dumbed it down even more hyping up Cletis Seldin as a "future star" . Decent guy, honest approach..but gimme a break. Fans don't mind brawlers but force feeding it to them while ignoring some hidden gems is really shortsighted. Fans love discovering new talent and what guys like Tanaka need is simply an opportunity and every fighter yearns for exposure. While some are simply over exposed.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Looks like his people hope to lay the groundwork of an immediate 112 top ranking, being the wbo chances are Tanaka is now there pre 112 debut. We could use more of the lower weight guys doing impressive things on mainstays like HBO but they went the way of names for names sake long ago and have recently imo dumbed it down even more hyping up Cletis Seldin as a "future star" . Decent guy, honest approach..but gimme a break. Fans don't mind brawlers but force feeding it to them while ignoring some hidden gems is really shortsighted. Fans love discovering new talent and what guys like Tanaka need is simply an opportunity and every fighter yearns for exposure. While some are simply over exposed.
    Would surprise me if he becomes #1 to Kimura, that's an easy title win for Tanaka in my opinion, although he has shown a few vulnerabilities lately. Could be due to weight struggles who knows for sure. Yep HBO could get these guys at a steal. I hope someone has the sense to put on a WBSS at these lighter weights or do what they have with the SuperFly.

I like Seldin but I think he gets beat out next against Yves Ulysse Jr on the Saunders/ Lemieux undercard.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Would surprise me if he becomes #1 to Kimura, that's an easy title win for Tanaka in my opinion, although he has shown a few vulnerabilities lately. Could be due to weight struggles who knows for sure. Yep HBO could get these guys at a steal. I hope someone has the sense to put on a WBSS at these lighter weights or do what they have with the SuperFly.

I like Seldin but I think he gets beat out next against Yves Ulysse Jr on the Saunders/ Lemieux undercard.
    All the ingredients are there and that is one positive by hbo rolling out the part 1 and part 2 great triple header cards at Super fly. Top tier guys from Japan are basically super stars enjoying massive fan base already so that may play a part but fortunately now we're seeing Inoue breaking out. Thinking same with Ulysse and hopefully somewhere along the way a ref will see fit to call intentional lead elbows a foul . Seldin will be the 'weather the early storm' type by majority he faces.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tanaka going for his 3 championship, in a 3rd weight class on Sep-24th against WBO Flyweight champion Sho Kimura.

This will be Tanaka's 12th fight, same as Loma, to try and pick up the title in 3 divisions.

His record is also starting to look pretty good.

Ryuji Hara was 18-0 heading in to only Tanaka's 4th fight. And has only lost once since to probable HOF Katsunari Takayama.

Vic Saludar, was 11-1, and just won the WBO minimumweight title last month.

Moises Fuentes was 24-2, is a former WBO minimumweight champion, and interim WBO Light Flyweight champion.

Angel Acosta was 16-0 (16) and has since won the WBO light Flyweight title.

2 of the guys on his record are current champions.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Three championships in three weight classes and he hasn't even had to leave Japan to do it.

At the risk of sounding heretic, I'll be more impressed when he leaves the comforts of home and beats elite opposition abroad.

Sorry..... that's big for me.

Also..... 3 championships in 3 weight classes in 11 pro fights?

Again, consider me an outlier. I may later bow at the Tanaka temple, but not quite yet.

Thread Information