Thread: Another Heavyweight divison!?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Another Heavyweight divison!?

Quote Originally Posted by GaMo View Post
    Okay I’d keep bantamweight but scrap everything below that. I find flyweight and minimumweight so uninteresting (seriously what grown man weighs 105lbs) I think Boxing could do with a shake up (it won’t happen) but less divisions and less belts would improve the sport immensely and nobody can deny that. It’s no secret that the best fighters usually fight from 140-154 so imagine if we only had 147! All that talent would be in one place.
    Fair point about too many titles and divisions.

However there are some exceptional boxers and contests at the lower weights. I would rather watch that than 2 unhealthy and unconditioned heavyweights fight any day.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Okay I’d keep bantamweight but scrap everything below that. I find flyweight and minimumweight so uninteresting (seriously what grown man weighs 105lbs) I think Boxing could do with a shake up (it won’t happen) but less divisions and less belts would improve the sport immensely and nobody can deny that. It’s no secret that the best fighters usually fight from 140-154 so imagine if we only had 147! All that talent would be in one place.

However there are some exceptional boxers and contests at the lower weights. I would rather watch that than 2 unhealthy and unconditioned heavyweights fight any day.

Honestly all you would need to do is bring in same day weigh-ins and most of those weight divisions below lightweight would be abolished.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honestly all you would need to do is bring in same day weigh-ins and most of those weight divisions below lightweight would be abolished.
    Same day weigh in would not affect the lower weights more than higher weights.

The skill level and entertainment at the lower weights are unappreciated by even most hardcore boxing fans. Never mind you.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The skill level and entertainment at the lower weights are unappreciated by even most hardcore boxing fans. Never mind you.
    People confuse activity for skill. I saw that flyweight card on HBO and the skill level really wasn’t that high and every time the referee got close and dwarfed them I kind of lost interest. At the moment the best fighters in the sport are at light-heavyweight and cruiserweight in my opinion.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People confuse activity for skill. I saw that flyweight card on HBO and the skill level really wasn’t that high and every time the referee got close and dwarfed them I kind of lost interest. At the moment the best fighters in the sport are at light-heavyweight and cruiserweight in my opinion.
    You are sizist and at the moment you could be right.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think most people are sizist which is why those smaller divisions don’t do big business. The two most recognisable people in Boxing history (arguably sports history) are both Heavyweight boxers (Tyson and Ali)

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't need a Super-Heavy division. Less weight divisions would be a good start tho. 108 and 105 could go. 115 even tho it's stacked at the moment. 122, 130, 140, 154 & 168 could all disappear.
    They live, We sleep

Thread Information