Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts about a recent trip to Japan.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Some thoughts about a recent trip to Japan.

I was surprised to see the large amount of boxing and kickboxing gyms in the Osaka and surrounding areas. Also from what I observed their skill level and training methods are disciplined and good though I don't think there will be many sparring partners if you are above welter. If I was a lightweight or below and aspiring a career in boxing I would probably go out there and launch into the professional ranks since it seems like the professional fighters there are taken care of well in terms of purses. I mean it seems like a whole other world where the lower weights are the epic center of the industry and there are fights going all the time. Though I'm not sure exactly about the match making opportunities if you don't know the Japanese language or aren't well connected.

On another note I found the Japanese to be xenophobic and felt like I was a burden at times and was even denied entry to some restaurants. At times I was completely ignored when asking for directions in the subway. Though the younger crowd and the people outside of the big cities were a bit more open to me, but it's hard to tell you if I would actually enjoy living there. The natural beauty of the place and its infrastructure is incredible though.

What are your thoughts on Japan from a boxing perspective and have any of you guys trained or fought there for extended period of time? Also is the 'rudeness' or total 'avoidance' I felt from some people normal?

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Some thoughts about a recent trip to Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingfighter View Post
    I was surprised to see the large amount of boxing and kickboxing gyms in the Osaka and surrounding areas. Also from what I observed their skill level and training methods are disciplined and good though I don't think there will be many sparring partners if you are above welter. If I was a lightweight or below and aspiring a career in boxing I would probably go out there and launch into the professional ranks since it seems like the professional fighters there are taken care of well in terms of purses. I mean it seems like a whole other world where the lower weights are the epic center of the industry and there are fights going all the time. Though I'm not sure exactly about the match making opportunities if you don't know the Japanese language or aren't well connected.

On another note I found the Japanese to be xenophobic and felt like I was a burden at times and was even denied entry to some restaurants. At times I was completely ignored when asking for directions in the subway. Though the younger crowd and the people outside of the big cities were a bit more open to me, but it's hard to tell you if I would actually enjoy living there. The natural beauty of the place and its infrastructure is incredible though.

What are your thoughts on Japan from a boxing perspective and have any of you guys trained or fought there for extended period of time? Also is the 'rudeness' or total 'avoidance' I felt from some people normal?
    日本で孤立した Im having lunch right now in Osaka and YES they are very xenphobic but cant say I was denied any restaurants and Im with my wife who is Indian. I did see a boxing gym about 10 blocks from here 帝拳ボクシングジム which is the sister gym of the main one in Tokyo, Osaka Teiken Boxing Gym

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have been to Japan several times and have never found it to be especially xenophobic. However, the English level of the average Japanese person is often quite basic and so they are very shy and hesitant to help. It isn't so much xenophobia as I have heard instances where a Japanese person has collapsed in the street and people have walked by and ignored the situation. Culturally people are very hesitant to get involved with anyone outside of their particular social network. It's a bit odd, but don't take it too personally. Personally I quite like the social distance and that people will leave you alone. There seems to be a lot of social anxiety when it comes to interacting with foreigners and it is understandable if you don't speak Japanese or they don't speak English. They avoid the situation if they can. I don't blame them really as I am quite similar. I like Japan, but it fits my character type nicley, so I tend not to have too many problems. Never been turned away from a restaurant or anything like that. Definitely had people too scared to talk to me though and that's fair enough.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post

日本で孤立した Im having lunch right now in Osaka and YES they are very xenphobic but cant say I was denied any restaurants and Im with my wife who is Indian. I did see a boxing gym about 10 blocks from here 帝拳ボクシングジム which is the sister gym of the main one in Tokyo, Osaka Teiken Boxing Gym
    You could post a picture next to it Brock and show us. Be a sport.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mind you I would take it personally if I was turned away from a restaurant or died from a heart attack in the street becasue nobody called an ambulance. It would be mildly annoying to say the least. I remember on my first trip to Japan walking to the embassy to get my visa and I seemed to pass into some kind of red light zone. An old Japanese woman was trying to explain what was on offer. I was like 'Leave me alone you pimp I have an embassy to catch'. Sometimes they are not so reticent. I think like with anywhere you will have xenophobes though, just look at the West these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I have been to Japan several times and have never found it to be especially xenophobic. However, the English level of the average Japanese person is often quite basic and so they are very shy and hesitant to help. It isn't so much xenophobia as I have heard instances where a Japanese person has collapsed in the street and people have walked by and ignored the situation. Culturally people are very hesitant to get involved with anyone outside of their particular social network. It's a bit odd, but don't take it too personally. Personally I quite like the social distance and that people will leave you alone. There seems to be a lot of social anxiety when it comes to interacting with foreigners and it is understandable if you don't speak Japanese or they don't speak English. They avoid the situation if they can. I don't blame them really as I am quite similar. I like Japan, but it fits my character type nicley, so I tend not to have too many problems. Never been turned away from a restaurant or anything like that. Definitely had people too scared to talk to me though and that's fair enough.
    I think maybe they just didn't want to deal with me since no one spoke English so I figured that they rather turn my business away than go through the problem of having to cater to me. I walked over 25KM a day when I was there in Osaka so I ended up visiting some real hole in the walls outside the main areas where tourist hang out like Umeda and Namba. But I just found them to be so damm cold and non engaging towards me and I'm a person that shows respect to everyone so I found it quite odd. Perhaps it's true they just find comfort in likeness and everything that's outside of what's like them is observed rather than engaged with. Kobe was a bit better, but that place has had foreign relations for over 100 years and it's smaller and more compact so I guess they are more used to different faces. But yeah the martial arts scene (and boxing) in Japan is thriving. I can now see why it's the mecca for the lower boxing weight classes. That's one thing I really liked. There seems to be martial arts related events all the time somewhere. You can see promotional posters for fights all over the city if you look closely.

P.S What's the deal with the appetizers they give you at restaurants (which you think are free) but they end up charging you for them? Is it culturally impolite if I decline them? Why do they do this?
    Last edited by wanderingfighter; 10-13-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hello Brock. Have you visited the Harada Boxing Gym? Here's a link to it: http://www.haradaboxinggym.com/
    Last edited by wanderingfighter; 10-13-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think maybe they just didn't want to deal with me since no one spoke English so I figured that they rather turn my business away than go through the problem of having to cater to me. I walked over 25KM a day when I was there in Osaka so I ended up visiting some real hole in the walls outside the main areas where tourist hang out like Umeda and Namba. But I just found them to be so damm cold and non engaging towards me and I'm a person that shows respect to everyone so I found it quite odd. Perhaps it's true they just find comfort in likeness and everything that's outside of what's like them is observed rather than engaged with. Kobe was a bit better, but that place has had foreign relations for over 100 years and it's smaller and more compact so I guess they are more used to different faces. But yeah the martial arts scene (and boxing) in Japan is thriving. I can now see why it's the mecca for the lower boxing weight classes. That's one thing I really liked. There seems to be martial arts related events all the time somewhere. You can see promotional posters for fights all over the city if you look closely.

P.S What's the deal with the appetizers they give you at restaurants (which you think are free) but they end up charging you for them? Is it culturally impolite if I decline them? Why do they do this?
    The funny thing is though is that at a lot of Japanese places you can just point at a picture to make your order. There are always ways to accomodate a customer, aren't there? It's not that difficult. I'm the same as you in that I am very polite. A couple of days ago I was in the supermarket and whilst usually you get a smile or a little bow and you say 'Thank you' in the host language, this time an old lady just kind grunted, handed me my item and then turned away. It wasn't as though she was busy. I guess you get some workers who are really nice then others who just don't want to bother with you. I just assume that everyone gets the same treatment. I don't know if you have been to Korea, but if not check it sometime. You will never get turned away from a restaurant and people speak a fair bit more English too. The other thing about Japan is the the food portions. It is never enough and you can end up spending a fortune!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The funny thing is though is that at a lot of Japanese places you can just point at a picture to make your order. There are always ways to accomodate a customer, aren't there? It's not that difficult. I'm the same as you in that I am very polite. A couple of days ago I was in the supermarket and whilst usually you get a smile or a little bow and you say 'Thank you' in the host language, this time an old lady just kind grunted, handed me my item and then turned away. It wasn't as though she was busy. I guess you get some workers who are really nice then others who just don't want to bother with you. I just assume that everyone gets the same treatment. I don't know if you have been to Korea, but if not check it sometime. You will never get turned away from a restaurant and people speak a fair bit more English too. The other thing about Japan is the the food portions. It is never enough and you can end up spending a fortune!
    I find that eating Don buri's and Sushi is economical though. Though maybe not so much when you realize you're spending 7 to 8 dollars per bowl. Probably a tiny bit less than the states I guess... It's still expensive. Japan is not for people on a budget.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Think the appetizer thing is cultural. They don't do it for restaurants here, but if you go out for drinks a lot of places expect you to pay for a side dish to go with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Think the appetizer thing is cultural. They don't do it for restaurants here, but if you go out for drinks a lot of places expect you to pay for a side dish to go with it.
    I guess it's some sort of cover charge since tipping is not expected.

I heard of someone in Japan that they got stuck with a $300 dollar charge like this and the people responsible for running the establishment he was at attempted to intimidate him when he refused to pay. Though this was in the Roppongi part of Tokyo so I guess it comes with the territory since that's a place where the Mafia operates.
    Last edited by wanderingfighter; 10-13-2017 at 10:06 PM.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
    think the appetizer thing is cultural. They don't do it for restaurants here, but if you go out for drinks a lot of places expect you to pay for a side dish to go with it.
    i guess it's some sort of cover charge since tipping is not expected.

i heard of someone in japan that they got stuck with a $300 dollar charge like this and the people responsible for running the establishment he was at attempted to intimidate him when he refused to pay. Though this was in the roppongi part of tokyo so i guess it comes with the territory since that's a place where the mafia operates.
    just came throughh there hahahaha all nigerians

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

think the appetizer thing is cultural. They don't do it for restaurants here, but if you go out for drinks a lot of places expect you to pay for a side dish to go with it.

i heard of someone in japan that they got stuck with a $300 dollar charge like this and the people responsible for running the establishment he was at attempted to intimidate him when he refused to pay. Though this was in the roppongi part of tokyo so i guess it comes with the territory since that's a place where the mafia operates.
    Exactly how long are u running this scam

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post

Decided on 6-week TEFL course in Ogori City starts next week, staying on here indef

Mentioned
    679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post

Decided on 6-week TEFL course in Ogori City starts next week, staying on here indef
    Still no real evidence

Thread Information