Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Kelly - Best prospect in the world? (name a better one?)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Josh Kelly - Best prospect in the world? (name a better one?)

I'm firmly in the don't run before you can walk club, and have experienced enough last fence falls and enough busted flushes over the years to not get carried away by anyone (basically i'm a pessimistic cunt), however, Kelly reminds me of the breathtaking superduper young talents of the past - Roy, Calzaghe, Floyd, Naz

If you don't know who he is you will soon.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Josh Kelly - Best prospect in the world? Fact. (name a better one?)

Last nights fight virtuoso performance against a Mexican that looked durable on paper.

Calling out Ashley Theopane (they look deadly serious too) for his 5th fight. I'll buy the Bellew-Haye PPV if they make that.

Last edited by Fenster; 10-22-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Mentioned
    937 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Last nights fight virtuoso performance against a Mexican that looked durable on paper.

Calling out Ashley Theopane (they look deadly serious too) for his 5th fight. I'll buy the Bellew-Haye PPV if they make that.

Great performance. He seemed unworried about anything coming back and the one weakness if you want to call it that, seems to be that he is a bit laissez faire about taking body shots himself. He can dish it out, but a well timed counter to the body could undo a lot of his own good work. He plants his feet and throws with great variety and skill but the most impressive things for me were his speed out of the traps, like a greyhound with bite, and his finishing instinct, something that I am not sure you can teach, and is often missing in great Amateur/Olympic prospects.

Looks like a quality, quality prospect but early days right now. Look forward to watching this young fellas journey.
    Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Josh Kelly is very good as I stated in my rbr on the thread you created.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes, Beanz, he is very much open to getting chinned with that style, however, so were all the superduper natural flair fighters. He is obviously miles away from proving himself an elite champion but there's nothing flakey or parody about the ability he is showing, it's 100% pure natural talent.

For example - compare him to that embarrassment on the Haye bill the other night. There was a man that in his own mind is Roy Jones/Bruce Lee blissfully unaware that he looks utterly useless, not fluent/natural at all and is an accident waiting to happen.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just watched the fight he has a Calzaghe look about him.
    The main difference is Kelly hits with the correct part of the glove.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The bigger legs he has can put down more power when he throws those hooks..

Hands down like that is always a risk and time will tell with better opposition if he will have to tweak his style as the fight goes into the later rounds.

So far though, he looks impressive and is enjoyable to watch.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Somebody I know up here knows a bit about him. He's mentioned him a few times. He's definitely one to watch but it's all about levels, isn't it. One minute they look like the second coming of SRR the next minute they run into a style they can't handle and they look a little exposed and everybody fancies beating them.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Have to love the talent. But I think he is building his own ceiling by abandoning fundamentals. When he meets equal talent he could be in trouble. But he's fun to watch.
    Last edited by Ron Swanson; 12-18-2019 at 07:11 AM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He looks the goods. With 4 or less fights Sirenko or Hrgovic deserve a mention. Cordina looks good. Shimizu is one to watch. Stanionis. There are a number of prospects with around 8 - 15 fights that are also noteworthy.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His stlye is very eye catching. I'd like to see him keep his hands up more as his opposition improves.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    His stlye is very eye catching. I'd like to see him keep his hands up more as his opposition improves.
    They said the same things about Herol Graham and Roy Jones but they never changed. It is inbuilt in his style.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    They said the same things about Herol Graham and Roy Jones but they never changed. It is inbuilt in his style.
    Just an observation, not everyone can be Jones. That aggression is great too, although he'll need to hone it in against better guys, he left himself open a few times for counters while in all out assault. He didn't need to worry about what was coming back in this fight. This stuff can be worked on and its still early days in his pro career.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One for Fenster..

https://youtu.be/pX0XFCX1GyY

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Admittedly Angel Acosta is not British. But I'd put him up there with the list of best prospects in the world. His loss to Tanaka notwithstanding, he'll be back soon enough, and will probably be the next Puerto Rican champion.

Thread Information