Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: So Rigo didn't break his hand then...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default So Rigo didn't break his hand then...

Guillermo Rigondeaux x-ray shows no broken hand, only bruising

Guillermo Rigondeaux could face a further backlash after pulling out of his fight with Vasyl Lomachenko due to only a bruised hand.

The Cuban amateur legend was roundly criticised for retiring on his stool against Lomachenko on Saturday, citing the ailment as a major cause in his decision.

Upon seeking medical treatment, which was completed on Monday, promoter Dino Duva confirmed 'Rigo' didn't suffer any break - as expected.

At the time, Duva had stated: “Rigo hurt his hand in the third round and he just couldn’t throw it anymore. His trainer talked in the round that he got stopped and they just decided they couldn’t go anywhere without a left hand.”

After the fight, Rigodeaux blamed his injury whilst only giving Lomachenko sparing credit.

"I lost but it was because of my hand. I injured the top of it in the second round and could no longer continue," he said.

On Lomachenko, the veteran added: "He's normal but he's a very technical fighter, very quick and very explosive.

"I'll come back and fight anybody because there are no excuses. It wasn't about the weight, just the hand.

"I do give Lomachenko credit though, he is an incredible boxer."

Rumors are doing the rounds that Rigondeaux may now decide to quit the sport, rather than return, although WBN's new divisional rankings still rate the 37 year-old as the best super-bantamweight on the planet.

A move to featherweight, where the likes of Carl Frampton, Nonito Donaire and Leo Santa Cruz reside, could prove lucrative, as Rigondeaux seeks to repair his damaged reputation moving forwards.
    Remember people accusing Brook of quitting when he suffered his second fractured eye socket, I'd like to see what they think of Rigo quitting for bruising his hand, I know that it was fairly obvious that he hadn't broken it but the confirmation puts his right up there with David Haye and his little toe...actually at least Haye managed to see the fight through.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: So Rigo didn't break his hand then...

Well at least he was injured.

The fight was too big a gulf for Rigo that he had to quit.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post

A bruised hand is no excuse for a prize fighter to quit though, fuck me, we would rarely see 12 rounds if everyone quit when they were getting beat or hurt their hand.

is it ok for Rigo to just quit on his stool 6 rounds into a fight where he wasn't badly hurt and was only being technically outclassed? what happened to pride?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post

A bruised hand is no excuse for a prize fighter to quit though, fuck me, we would rarely see 12 rounds if everyone quit when they were getting beat or hurt their hand.

is it ok for Rigo to just quit on his stool 6 rounds into a fight where he wasn't badly hurt and was only being technically outclassed? what happened to pride?
    Each individual is different and Gatti fought with a broken hand. However in his mind that bruised hand was broken because he was getting outclassed and that made him quit.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Each individual is different and Gatti fought with a broken hand. However in his mind that bruised hand was broken because he was getting outclassed and that made him quit.
    Nah, not having it, he knew it wasn't broken, he hadn't done anything to break it, he quit, he was gutless, he cashed out.

I've always been a massive fan of Rigo but come on, that was fucking bad

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nah, not having it, he knew it wasn't broken, he hadn't done anything to break it, he quit, he was gutless, he cashed out.

It backfired for Rigo. The challenge was literally too big.

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It backfired for Rigo. The challenge was literally too big for him.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It backfired for Rigo. The challenge was literally too big for him.
    You can say that again

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rigo knew he couldn’t win and just didn’t want to continue. It’s as simple as that. I would have been more sympathetic if he would have just straight out said “Loma was too big and I couldn’t get off because of it.” I just hate it when someone quits without at least trying to swing for the fences first. At least give one round where you really try to KO the guy.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't really x ray a mans spirit though. Hard to bust a hand when you're mostly hitting air.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A disappointing way for Rigo to lose. He'll never live it down. Especially since it was only bruised. Hey I understand e could have been putting himself at further risk (further damage or unable to defend himself fully) but this is the game he chose to play.
    They live, We sleep

Thread Information