Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we being to harsh on Thurman?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Are we being to harsh on Thurman?

He beat Porter and Garcia and holds two of the world championship Belts...he is injured and will make the big fights in 2019.

Surely that's fair?

Mentioned
    1667 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are we being to harsh on Thurman?

People on here I do feel are giving him a hard time and are sceptical about his injury and count his honesty about fighting Spence against him.

Time will tell if he is being treated harshly or not if and when he takes on the best again which include Crawford as well.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    No
    Right, first people incorrectly give him the benefit of the doubt saying "injury". He wasn't injured, he had elective surgery on bone spurs. It's a condition, not an injury.

And it has about a 4-6 week healing time. in fact the great majority of normal people feel fine after just a couple days. When I had bone spurs removed I took exactly 0 days off work. Yes, I am not a professional athlete but bone spurs is so f'n nothing I can't believe people are still talking about it.

For him to need a "get back year" ummm, what was last year?

He deserves far more negativity than he is getting

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    No
    Right, first people incorrectly give him the benefit of the doubt saying "injury". He wasn't injured, he had elective surgery on bone spurs. It's a condition, not an injury.

And it has about a 4-6 week healing time. in fact the great majority of normal people feel fine after just a couple days. When I had bone spurs removed I took exactly 0 days off work. Yes, I am not a professional athlete but bone spurs is so f'n nothing I can't believe people are still talking about it.

Fair enough.

Now all of a sudden Porter is injured and only wants to wait around for Thurman..what's his excuse?

Is everyone waiting/hoping for Spence to get beaten by Crawford or something?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    No

Fair enough.

Now all of a sudden Porter is injured and only wants to wait around for Thurman..what's his excuse?

Is everyone waiting/hoping for Spence to get beaten by Crawford or something?
    Fuck Porter, he's a contender, a challenger, he's not a champion. He doesn't get to call the shots. Thurman is supposed to be a Champion, and he hasn't defended in how long. He's not the only one, unfortunately nowadays it's the norm . If he's injured fine, he should get stripped, 2 guys fight for the title, and as soon as he's back, he gets to fight for the belt on at least a 50/50 split.
    some people get injured, but that can't be allowed to hold the whole division at ransom.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All of the welters are running scared from Spence. The same will happen with Crawford. Thurman did beat Porter and Garcia but that he hasn’t done anything since those fights. Sure, maybe he will prove me wrong and fight and beat Spence, but for now, he is not the top guy in the division anymore.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Clearly it the bigger picture and fan anticipation he is being lapped by Spence right now, regardless of the excuses. He needs to pull Uncle Haymon aside and demand to run with the pack, not just watch from the safety of his backyard. Another win over Porter does zippo for him except satisfy the sanctioning bodies and Haymon.

Thurman is being unfair to Thurman.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Clearly it the bigger picture and fan anticipation he is being lapped by Spence right now, regardless of the excuses. He needs to pull Uncle Haymon aside and demand to run with the pack, not just watch from the safety of his backyard. Another win over Porter does zippo for him except satisfy the sanctioning bodies and Haymon.

Thurman is being unfair to Thurman.
    To expand on this, the whole division deserves hell. Except Spence because he just goes down the list want to fight, no, okay, do you want to fight, no, okay. Even Crawford, we have no reason to doubt him up to this point but after he picks up his belt if he looks at Jessie Vargas or someone of the ilk he will deserve to be questioned too. Until anyone gets in the ring with Spence they deserve to be questioned. This division has been hell since MayPac took it over. Same problem all these years,,,,, just fight!

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think we are, the thing is he is not even considering Spence for the end of this year. He gets a tune up; fine I think everyone grants him that. A unification will almost always trump a mando so there's no reason for Porter/ Garcia to get in the way of a Spence fight. If Thurman does fight Porter after the tune up I'll be backing Porter to win, the 1st fight was razor thin and there's no guarantee Thurman wins a return. It'll serve Keith right watching a huge payday disappear.

Do we give Crawford a pass if he fights Pac after Horn?

Matthysse is also skulking with a 'belt'
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't think we are, the thing is he is not even considering Spence for the end of this year. He gets a tune up; fine I think everyone grants him that. A unification will almost always trump a mando so there's no reason for Porter/ Garcia to get in the way of a Spence fight. If Thurman does fight Porter after the tune up I'll be backing Porter to win, the 1st fight was razor thin and there's no guarantee Thurman wins a return. It'll serve Keith right watching a huge payday disappear.

Do we give Crawford a pass if he fights Pac after Horn?

Matthysse is also skulking with a 'belt'
    Everyone gets a pass for fighting Pac, just too much money. But I heard Pac is being fed to Loma later this year(November). I don't think anyone believes Pac can hang with Crawford but they can trick the people on Pac/Loma

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Crawford/Loma is not good business for Top rank.

After Loma takes another loss the aura will drop around him again.

Pac/Loma is perfect because if Loma schools Pac it will be like Pac/Oscar again and everyone will wet their pants for their new P4P star.

Either way, Bob wins.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Crawford fighting Horn is 100% fine since it gets him a belt and it’s his first fight at welter. I think it’s smart to fight Pacquiao because it makes him a known boxer even among casual fans. That will generate more interest in him. Now, if after that he doesn’t fight any top guy at welter (barring they are ducking him which isn’t a stretch), I won’t give him a pass either.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pac/ Loma makes more sense for both guys but Pac is still highly rated in the WBO 147 ratings so the Crawford fight is there at a stretch. Who does Bob want to make the bigger star? Bud or Loma?

Loma has Berchelt, Linares, Mikey before getting to 140, Crawford needs to hope Bob can get him in with the other big names at Welter.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think the fans are being too hard on him, I think the treatment is typical/normal. I do feel it is unrealistic/unfair to expect Keith to fight a monster like Spence in his first fight back. That being said, I think it is also partially Thurmans fault since he talks like Spence hasn't earned a shot, talks about fighting true threats (Porter and Spence) sometime in 2019, and generally calls out weak opposition. His treatment is no worse than what fighters like Adonis Stevenson, Canelo, Roy Jones jr, Floyd Mayweather, and Riddick Bowe experienced when they didn't fight who the fans felt they should.

The question I would ask the forum is: Do you think Keith Thurman will be able to reach the same level he was at prior to the surgery? I know it wasn't a horrible injury or surgery, but I wonder if that time off dulled his skill and desire.

Thread Information