Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Are we being to harsh on Thurman?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Are we being to harsh on Thurman?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    I don’t really care who he fights his first fight back. He has been out so long that he does need a tune up. The real question is how many tune ups will he have to have before he fights a real contender?
    All true, but Zab?
    Zab is at least a named opponent even though he has been out of the ring forever. I agree it’s too easy of a first step back, but that’s Thurman for you. Anything to avoid Spence. If he does fight Zab, he needs to fight within the next two months after that fight because that fight will only last a few rounds at most.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've heard Thurman wants Zab as his return opponent. Pretty poor choice if true.
    Considering he's been retired and working as a male nurse for years now yeah it's a pretty poor choice. Jesus. You can forget Thurman ever making it all the way back right now. If his mental state is I need to fight Zab Judah he's just going to take the easiest he can and either continue to bottle out of a meaningful fight or getdestroyed by somebody like Spence.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkland Laing View Post
    I've heard Thurman wants Zab as his return opponent. Pretty poor choice if true.
    Considering he's been retired and working as a male nurse for years now yeah it's a pretty poor choice. Jesus. You can forget Thurman ever making it all the way back right now. If his mental state is I need to fight Zab Judah he's just going to take the easiest he can and either continue to bottle out of a meaningful fight or getdestroyed by somebody like Spence.
    It says Zab fought and won in January.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Keith Thurman's 2019 plans don't include Crawford or Spence, but could involve Pacquiao and Porter

Terence Crawford and Errol Spence Jr. might be the best, most talked about welterweights in boxing. But neither fit into Keith Thurman’s comeback plans for 2019.

When Sporting News asked the WBA welterweight champion if he feels like he needs to fight Crawford or Spence in the New Year — due to his 22-month absence from the ring — to prove that he’s still the best in the division, Thurman flat out said, “No.”

Why doesn’t he feel pressed to cement a 2019 showdown with Crawford, the WBO champion, or Spence, the IBF titleholder? It’s simple: “One Time” believes there’s plenty of time down the road to make a mega bout with either fellow champion happen.

“What I need to do is come back in the ring, stay healthy, be active, have some great fights — or some good fights — this year and I think, we’ll possibly still save some of the great ones,” Thurman told Sporting News as part of a press conference Saturday at Barclays Center, before the Charlo twins’ co-headlining card began. “We’re still in our prime. There’s still a little bit of time on the calendar. I like the year 2020, man. It just sounds really nice. It’s the Olympic year.”

He added: “I like the year 2020 because ’19 is the get-back year. ’19Keith Thurman has to remind you who Keith Thurman is, why Keith Thurman is one of the baddest men at 147, why you need to always mention me when you mention the others … and, hopefully, put my name first.”

Thurman’s last fight was a split-decision victory over Danny Garcia in March 2017. The very next month, he had surgery to extract calcium deposits from his right elbow. This past March, Thurman suffered a hand injury while training, effectively putting an end to his 2018 as well amidst rehab and recovery.

Despite his nearly two-year absence, Thurman (28-0, 22 KOs) has never lost and still feels like he’s the top welterweight in boxing. But who’s second on his list?

“Keith Thurman No. 1, Errol Spence No. 2 and everything else is debatable,” Thurman told a pool of reporters after his press conference. “I’ve said it many, many, many times, I don’t give ‘Bud’ Crawford any credit at 147 yet. He hasn’t gotten any credentials off of me.”

Let’s see if Crawford’s body of work in the New Year changes that. Until then, Thurman returns to the ring Jan. 26, when he takes on Josesito Lopez at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. If all goes well, he says he’d love to work in at least one, maybe two more fights onto his 2019 docket.

“At the end of the day, I’m here to make a statement that ‘One Time’ is back,” he said. “I’m going to do hopefully two fights this year and because of the long layoff — if I’m blessed, if it does not go into deep waters, if we’re able to shut this show down early in January — there’s a lot of room for the rest of the year. I would love to deep down — two [fights] is enough — but I would love to sneak in three fights and just be back active, so that I know I can bring my best into the sport. I got one belt, I’m missing one belt. So, that’s on my mind this year, in 2019, is to re-establish my own accomplishments and then move forward from there.”

While Crawford or Spence don’t figure into those plans just yet, the winner of the Adrien Broner-Manny Pacquiao fight on Jan. 19 and/or the winner of the Shawn Porter/Yordenis Ugas bout on March 9 just might in 2019. Each fight holds a level of high intrigue for the 30-year-old Thurman.

“One Time” has always been interested in a fight with Pacquiao, but wonders how much longer the 40-year-old wants to box and the level of competition he wants to face. Still, the opportunity to add a legend like “Pac Man” as another notch on his belt would be hard to resist for Thurman.

As for a fight with Broner, the promotion alone leading up to the scrap would present high-level drama, considering he and AB are easily two of the most entertaining talkers in the fight game.

“I’m not that interested, but if he starts running his mouth and depending on what happens [with the Broner/Pacquiao fight],” Thurman said, detailing how quickly that feeling could change.

As for the winner between Porter-Ugas, let’s not forget that Porter was crowned WBC welterweight champion following a unanimous decision win over Danny Garcia in September and that the title was up for grabs in that bout only because Thurman voluntarily relinquished the strap in April to continue with his rehab.

“I told Shawn Porter in Fox studios, ‘Don’t lose because you’ll get a rematch … with Danny [Garcia],” Thurman told reporters Saturday. “You lose, I’m going after my belt, I’m going after Ugas.’”

All this being said, a convincing, economical victory over Lopez in January and perhaps we could see Thurman in action against Pacquiao or Broner or possibly Ugas or Porter, who “One Time” already defeated in June 2016.

Whether he keeps a perfect record at this time next year remains to be seen. But either way, 2020 for Thurman-Spence or Thurman-Crawford to decide welterweight supremacy is something “One Time” might be plotting on his chess board — even if Crawford and Spence fight each other before that.

“You can’t have a No. 1 fighter when you have three undefeated champions,” Thurman told Sporting News about the current top welterweights. “It’s just the dumbest thing in the world. Let’s just be honest. You can’t have three undefeated champions of the world.”

He added: “I mean, Terence Crawford and Errol Spence … that’s a great fight. But Keith Thurman vs. Errol Spence and Keith Thurman vs. ‘Bud’ Crawford, I think those are better fights.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/kei...171746229.html

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Thurman cannot fight he should relinquish the titles or retire. Simple.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So Thurman says that he is #1 and Spence is #2, but he can’t fight Spence or Crawford this year because he needs to have comeback fights all year? Does he not understand that that would mean he isn’t #1?

He should have said that he was #1 at his peak but he is trying to get back to the #1 spot.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thurman's going to prove he's #1 against... Josesito 😁

I'm glad he's back, but if 2019 is a year of comeback bouts, he'll fall further into irrelevance.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The rest of the division should just ignore Thurman. No waiting, just get on with other fights.

He can gesticulate his No.1 status all he wants to an increasingly empty room

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    He added: “I like the year 2020 because ’19 is the get-back year. ’19 Keith Thurman has to remind you who Keith Thurman is, why Keith Thurman is one of the baddest men at 147, why you need to always mention me when you mention the others … and, hopefully, put my name first.”

'18 TitoFan thinks Keith Thurman is full of shit and scared to fight Spence, while already making excuses to not fight anyone dangerous in 2019 and (cough) "hang on" to his #1 ranking.
    '19 TitoFan will likely feel the same way.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think everyone is being harsh on Thurman. Give him a chance.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just realized that Thurman still holds the title. How hasn’t he been stripped? I get not stripping it right at the beginning, but he has been inactive for almost two years. He should have to fight his way to a title again. It’s ridiculous.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just replying again feels like piling on now . Pretty sure I saw him say he had Charlo losing 8-4 ? and wants one fight at a time. Now I know he hasn't been in a hard fight in 2 yrs but he has clearly bumped his head on something?

that the wba still qualifies anyone as a champ with 2 yrs out is absurd.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thurman will go injured again after this tune up..he is waiting for Spence to move up.

Sad.

Thread Information